george l's ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by marcusprice, Sep 5, 2005.

1. marcusprice

marcusprice Member

i was about to buy a load of george l's for my pedal board but i just read in the velcroless thread that they arent very reliable.

whats the verdict? to buy or not to buy?
    anyone want to sell me some?

thanks!

2. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

They are very reliable.

3. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I move my pedals around quite a bit, and sometimes the screw caps will loosen up on the George L's causing them to crap out. Some have suggested using lock-tite to avoid this problem.

4. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I've never had a George L cable fail in the 2+ years I've been using them, both in short patch cable format on my pedal board and in longer lengths to run between guitar, pedalboard and amp.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

If they're usd on a board where pedals are fixed, you should have no (or very few) problems...the more you move them around, the more potential for trouble (i.e., loosening connections).
    Greg

7. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I've read that there were some problems considerin the plugs with the george l's system. So I bought the cable and soldered my own plugs. It works great. I did it on my bass (!) pedal board and I cannot hear a difference between going through the board and plugging straight in.

I haven't done the guitar board yet, because I am still undecided on which pedals are making the cut.

I plan to get Canare GS-6 based cables for Guitar to pedalboard and pedlaboard to amp cables. I Figure it will be a nice combination that should balance out well.

8. D.G.

D.G. Member

This is true only of the right-angle plugs. The straight plugs lock down quite tight and I've never had a problem with them. Of course, I only use the straight plugs on the guitar -> board cable and the board -> amp cable. On the board it's all right angle.

9. royd

royd Member

I hate the screw on ends and have always had them crap out at the most inopportune moments. I still have some of the cable in my pedal board but have soldered on switchcraft ends.

10. devbro

devbro Member

There's a technique to doing the right angle type that I have found failsafe.

1. Insert the cable into the end
    2. Push it down while twisting it about 2 revolutions. This seems to help the center pin seat into the center of the cable better.
    3. Hold it firmly while bending the cable to a right angle through the slot.
    4. Screw the end on as tight as you can without tools.

I've never had one crap out on me unexpectedly. :D

11. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The only complaint I have with George L's is the size of the plugs, this and the fact that 99% of the pedal makers insist upon using side mounted jacks instead of top mounted (thank you, JangleBox!).

If the plugs could only be half the size they are now, I could get at least one more pedal on my board!

12. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I had a bit of trouble getting them to work early on when I didn't know how to assemble them. Once I followed the directions, never a failure for years...

13. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

I love my George Ls. The only problem I ever had was with the right angle connectors and the problem was me, not the cable. I was bending the cable at a right angle through the slot as I tightened the screw-on end cap. By doing this, the cap was piercing through the middle of the cable and not grounding correctly. The trick is to bend the cable as little as possible when screwing on the end cap. That way, it will only cut through the cable enough to ground it. I've never had the caps loosen on me. However, I leave them all plugged in on my pedal board and don't mess with them much.

John

14. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I used georgels for like 6-7 yrs (the same cable), never had a cable fail once. however, I never gigged, did not have more than one or two pedals, and used only the straight plugs.

15. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I've routed my boards with GL's right angle plugs since shortly after their inception, and have used them for hundreds of live jobs. During that time, I've had two cable failures, both of which were operator errors that were easily alleviated.

For optimal stability, a friend of mine at another forum suggested dabbing a bit of Elmer's glue around the screw threads when assembling the cables. This works quite well, and if required, the bond can be easily loosened with a pair of pliars.

16. marcusprice

marcusprice Member

thanks, tim. that sounds like a good idea.

17. Frethog

Frethog Member

I tried to read the instructions first and gave up. I thought the instructions were weak. They should have separate instruction sheets for each type of plug.

So thatÂ’s what I ended up doing :D Perfect. I made sure I tested each pedal individually as I went along. And I like the size of the plugs, they were smaller than most. That was a key selling point.