George L's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ButchR, Sep 27, 2005.

1. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I must be an idiot! I've been using George L cables on my pedalboard for quite some time now. I still have trouble getting them to work. I usually have to try 2-3 times with the plugs to get them to work and sometimes they never work so I cut again and finally get one that works.

I have one that is working now between my Clone chorus and OCD but I usually have to bump it for full volume. I'm going to replace it soon so here I go again with the fight. Any suggestions?

2. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

First few I made didn't work. Then I read the instructions! I know!! Reading the instructions?!??! That's for retards, I know how to do everything!!! But really. I was pulling the cable around the corner too tight, and screwing the cap on too far. Trust me, read the instructions.

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

I haven't read the instructions, but what you said seems like what I do, and all 10ft of mine work great.

4. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

i usually push the cable into the plug as snug as i can with needle nose pliers....i never force a right angle bend in the wire, i just tighten the screw finger tight.......i've never had a problem with connections and always wondered why so many others have

5. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

When I first bought George L's I though I was the stupid one. Out of twenty cables only two worked.

Then I found out the guy in the store had given me 4 mm wire to go with 6 mm plugs.

I went back to the store and got some 6 mm wire. Since then I have not made a single plug that didn't work.

6. ButchR

Whadda you mean, read the instructions! I don't have time to do that!:D

7. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

i just picked up some of these last week. took me a few minutes to figure out the deal with them even after reading the instructions. in fact, i didn't find the instructions all that helpful. a picture or diagram would have been nice. apparently i suffer from a lower-than-average intelligence quotient though, as most people seem to have little trouble with em. at least i finally got them to work and am now a happy customer.

8. Fernando

Fernando Member

9. larc

larc Member

I find using a very sharp wire cutter helps.

Also found it gets more difficult when the length of cable between both jacks becomes pretty short (e.g. 1.5" long).

What happens with a run than short is the pin (needle) inside the jack pushes the center hot lead wire inside the cable backwards. There isn't enough resistance to hold that hot lead wire in place.

I found using a wrench to hold the cable tightly (as you insert the cable into the jack) helps provide some resistance so the hot lead wire doesn't slide backwards. This helps to insure the needle (inside the instrument jack) and the hot lead wire have good contact.

10. thintele

thintele Member

That's funny...I had the opposite happen to me. After about 15 minutes and working my fingers to bloody nubs, I figured out I had the smaller ends but larger cable ....owwwch!

11. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I've been using GeorgeL's for about 2 years. I'm pretty good at making them and use a continutiy checker for testing. What I've experienced lately is that for no apparent reason they'll stop working. I've had so much trouble over the last 3 months I've decided to ditch 'em.

I just picked up a couple of planet waves connectors and cable and so far I like them better.

jeffhef

12. DK207

DK207 Member

last night after a few glasses of wine I decided to set up my George L's and had issues at first. I figured out which ones were duds and simply re set the cable in the 90 degree plug and they work great now! Sound awesome. I used a sharp coax cable cutter to make the snips. :cool:

13. stevieray

stevieray Member

Though nobody mentioned this as a problem, a tiny drop of blue threadlocker will keep the screw cap from backing out on the 90 degree ends. Figure out how to tighten them properly and add the threadlocker and you'll have a very trustworthy cable.

14. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Funny thing with mine (I use unplated ones), is I re did a couple recently to make different length, and I use those stupid little plastic covers, and there's a bunch of verdigris under them. Yuck!!!

15. ButchR

A couple of mine are pretty short so maybe that is part of the problem.

16. Robzilla

Robzilla Member

i use them on the board, they work fine there. i need some new cables for guitar > board and board > amp. is GL a good way for that? is it strong enough?

17. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

Use a cigar cutter for a nice STRAIGHT, clean cut.

18. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

that's a really great idea!

19. britishampsrock

britishampsrock Member

ive never wanted to mess with george l's simply from the fact that i have heard quite a few people talk about how they just stop working sometimes, that would drive me insane. i'd rather go with lava cables, they've got a ton of clarity and on their website you can order specific patch cables that are several different lengths.

20. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

While I've never had a problem with my George L's, a few of my friends have. Not with cables on their pedal boards, but with the cable connecting guitar to pedal board. They'd plug in and get this outrageous squealing from their amps. Every time, the problem was a cap on a right angle plug that had somehow worked loose.