George L's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eru, Feb 4, 2008.

1. eru

eru Member

So, I found a place to get the cables for $1/foot (Brasswell music, N. of Atlanta) and I finally decided to give it a try.

A/Bing b/t my new 10' GeorgeL and a black cable with a spring tension relief sleeve that I no longer remember the maker of or my normal Live Wire cables straight into the amp, and the GL definitely sounds "better." I'm not sure how to describe the difference, but I like it.

It's VERY subtle. I don't think there's a cable worth the prices some people are charging, but I'm going to use George L cable (and switchcraft jacks, since i can solder just fine) when I build and then wire a pedal board. For $1/foot, it's less than half the cost of a comparable mogami and not much more than livewire.

BTW, does anyone find it funny that livewire cable is so cheap, yet comes with a lifetime warranty? Yet high-end cables other than mogami don't have any such thing...makes you think.

2. IRG

IRG Member

I've been wondering about the actual cable that is used in the George L pedalboard kit, versus the cable used in the Panet Waves kit. The PW kit seems to get better reviews, and is cheaper. But I am wondering if the cable, especially in short runs, makes any difference between these 2 brands. I tend to think there should be no difference. Wondering if guage, etc. is the same.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I'de also recommned looking into the Bill Lawrence cable which is only $0.36/ft. It sounds much better then the GL cable when I A/B'd them. It's what I'm using on my 36" x 18" board.

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

+1 plus you need an elephant to take them apart!

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I think I used the "rhino" analogy previously.

6. supar6

supar6 Member

I use GL's on my board and to my amps. I'd like to consider myself a tone junkie but who knows I could be a tone retard.

I like the GL's quite a bit. I A/B'd them vs several others - Planet Waves, Bill Lawrence, Lava - and I found the GL's to be the best. Again - I think when you get as distinct as trying to tell a tonal difference between cables it's all personal opinion to an extent.

I will say that using the Bill Lawrence stuff I couldn't really tell much of a difference and wouldn't say it was better/worse. His pickups are really nice too for the $$$. If you try and order from him you'll have to dig a bit on his site as it's not well laid out.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Connector_Cable.htm

7. eru

eru Member

I'd thought about this and I very well may, but I can get the GL for $1/foot locally, which is less than on his website or anywhere else I can find. Plus, I was very skeptical about the solderless plugs and the guy made the cable for me and tested it, so by rolling it up (correctly) every time I play and putting it in my guitar case...consider it a stress test on the plugs.

So far, so good. But, again, the difference is TINY. If I were touring, I'd probably use Live Wire and keep the runs short if for no other reason than that it's available everywhere and carries a lifetime warranty with zero turn-around time if you get a good GC salesman who will just take it and comp you a new one (happened before for me).

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Myself, a bandmate and many folks on this site have tested the BL cable head-to-head with the GL and found it to be superior in tone and functionality. You will have and retain better clarity with the BL and it will not thin out you signal like GL's.

But, somebody's got to buy George L's right.

9. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I love my George L's on my pedal boards but gave up on using them for the longer runs from the guitar to the pedalboard and pedalboard to amp. For one they didn't wrap up as well plus the contant unplugging and plugging made my connections loose. I finally bought a couple of Fulltone Gold Plated long cords and now I am very happy with my Fulltone/George L hybrid mix.

10. supar6

supar6 Member

Or just buy both to be fair. :)

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

+1, I'm using the Fulltones as well.

12. Marty McFly

Marty McFly Member

+2. Fulltone for the guitar to board, and board to amp, and George L's for the board patch cables. Great combination.

13. Hajimemashite

Hajimemashite Member

I make my cables out of Canare GS-6 with Neutrik plugs. I made all the main cables and patches I needed for the price of a George L's patch kit, or a Planet Waves.

Of course you need to know how to solder, but I wouldn't ever use a screw in plug anyhow....

My opinion is people are paying waaaay to much for cables.

14. eru

eru Member

I agree completely. The post wasn't so much about "george l's are awesome" as "i finally give in. nicer cables make a difference...but it's apparently TINY."

The funny thing was that people complain about George Ls sounding so brittle or tinny or thin....yeah. The difference between that and a cable that i literally found in my friend's house that is so old any markings it may have had were worn off and that has been thrown about for the last year of my playing...was TINY.

So, I stand by it...stop complaining. If the GL doesn't stop misbehaving when I'm uncoiling it soon, I'm going to cannibalize it for the board I'm finally building.