George L's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tj1004, Feb 18, 2008.

1. tj1004

tj1004 Member

I bought the pedal kit a while back and have been having some durability issues. It seems that no matter how careful and precise I try to be when putting on the 90 degree screw on plugs, they never seem to work right. They loosen up and I have to jiggle around the ends to get a solid connection in my pedals. I called George L's and talked to his daughter, who was as nice as can be, and told her my problem; she walked me through the correct way of installing the ends (which was right in line with the way Ive been doing it) and i told her that was how I was doing it. She was gracious enough to send me two 10' lengths of cable (talked to her on a Friday, got the new cable Monday), and Im still having the same problems. Im just wondering if the screw on type connectors are the guilty party. Anyone else experience this?

PS. I will say that the customer service was absolutely top notch and Ive heard nothing but good things from these cables

2. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

man, that's just weird. mine give me no problems whatsoever. do all of your GL cables give you a faulty connection?

3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

What are you cutting the cable with?

4. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

true, it really comes down to a good cable cutter...although i use a regular fabric scissor to cut mine and it works well.

5. tj1004

tj1004 Member

Ive just been using typical wire cutters and making sure the cut is straight and doesnt get flattened out.

I havent actually experimented with which connectors are acting up. If one starts getting bad I just re-do it. There isnt really enough to them to would make me think one was bad or faulty though

6. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

Try a drop of loctite on the threads before you snug them up.

I don't have any problem with mine, so I haven't tried that yet...

7. tj1004

tj1004 Member

Uni, I will try that next time

8. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

I had problems the first time I put them together, but took a second shot at it, and have had no problems. I also agree that they're the coolest folks in the world when it comes to tending to the public. Have met and bought from them multiple times at guitar shows, and they're always super cool to deal with. Maybe they'll come up with a new connector that does away with any of the problems. I still use their cables, and will continue to recommend them.

9. 6789

6789 Member

my local shop showed me that they always cut the cable with a razor blade. It gives a perfectly striaght through cut without crimping or crunching the cable. maybe that will help you. the shop said they have trouble if they use a wire cutter.

10. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

Cut with a razor and use stress relieving jackets so the things don't come unscrewed. I do these two things and NEVER have any problems with George L's.

11. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

never had any problems with mine?! sounds like a pain in the behind tho!

12. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I had a lot of problems with mine...but not until after a few years of heavy gigging. They worked great for a long time, and then I started to get cold solder joint symptoms from almost all of them. I probably should have used the jackets, but in the end, I just found that I felt more comfortable gigging with soldered cables.

13. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

I only use his cable, and solder my own ends on.

14. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

Make sure you dont bend the cable to a right angle when screwing the end on. Lots of folks do that and that causes problems.

Unless I missed something you seem to be doing it correctly. Ive never had any of them I put together fail in any way even after plugging them in and removing them several times.

15. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    that's weird. i've never had that problem and i use regular wire cutters. i do have a cable checker that shows whether or not a signal will go through them. as long as i use the checker and it comes up positive, i've never had an issue with george l's....

16. wc8485

wc8485 Member

I use a box cutter to cut mine, making sure to cut straight thru, without crimping or crunching the cable. Been using them for 5 or 6 years now...

17. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Member

2 tips that work for me with George L's:
    -Cut the cable with a razor or some kind of sharp blade to keep from distorting the shape of the insulation and shielding and make the cut as close to 90 degrees (straight and flat) as possible.
    -Make sure the cut end of the cable stays pushed down into the plug when you make the slight bend in the cable to thread the cap on. Sometimes bending the cable into the notch in the side of the plug slightly pulls the end of the cable up off the bottom inside of the plug. You want the end of the cable to stay firmly seated at the bottom of the inside of the plug as you thread the cap on.

It helps if you put the plug in a vice or clamp it to the edge of a workbench (not too tight though) or even plug it into something like a stomp box and put the stomp box in a vice. That way you don't have to hold the plug while you are holding the cable with one hand and screwing the cap on with the other.

I have been using George L patch cables (without the little rubber covers) on my board for over 8 years and I have not had a single problem.

-Tim

18. dosmun

dosmun Member

It sounds like you may be bending the cable too far over before putting the cap on. You need to just bend the wire enough to get the cap started. Most of the time it is hard to screw the cap on because the fit is so tight so I have never had to worry about the cap coming loose.

19. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

+1

I was having the same problem as you because I was using wire cutters. No matter how careful you are they crimp the wires. Use a straight razor blade and cut down. Use the stress relief jackets and then you will not have those problems. Mine have not failed in 2 years since doing it correctly.

20. RC2

RC2 Silver Supporting Member

This is the only thing that makes any since to me. I've made at least 50 cables over the last few years and never had a problem.
    The last time one of these threads popped up as an experiment I tried to see if I could make a bad cable and the only way I could get one to not work was to not push the cable in far enough or bend it completely over before screwing on the cap. But even then if you screwed the cap in really tight it would still work.