George Lynch has a unique style of playing

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Jun 18, 2017.

1. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

He played on an album with Doro Pesch at one point in the 80s, then became a lawyer.

SgtThump likes this.
  2. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

After the first KXM record came out, I went to a Cheap Trick concert with Dug, who was still living in Houston at the time, and the singer in my band, who's friends with Dug.

Dug said that he and George and Ray got together with no material prepared ahead of time and hammered out those songs in a matter of days.

gtrdave and LordThurisaz like this.
  3. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Yep, Jon was in Warlock. I seem to recall that he got the Dokken gig through Jeff Pilson. I don't think the fact he also practices law had anything to do with it.

4. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I thought Don said that he was their lawyer or something?

5. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

2014 to 2017 was a hell of a prolific time for George. He released like 8 albums and most of it was great. Plus it seems to be that his sometimes dodgy playing live was pretty much gone as well, though in fairness, a lot of that was 80s Dokken material, which I get the feeling he's pretty much over playing. Then again, he played (from what videos I saw) quite well on the mini reunion, while Don "couldn't find a pitch with GPS."

CJReaper and Bankston like this.
  6. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

I thought so too, but who knows.

7. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

This is why I read GP. I’d never heard of George or any of his bands, but y’all just post all this awesome content, the dude rocks.

8. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

How is that even possible?! I guess for me it seems weird because I had the lovely parental guidance to enable me to watch A Nightmare on Elm St at 2 or 3, and later on buy ANOES 3: Dream Warriors on VHS. After the credits, they had the awesome music video to Dokken's Dream Warriors song, and have been a big fan since.

I also know about Lynch's ties to Randy Rhoads, and don't see how he didn't cross your path that way either. Anyways, his playing is killer and he is a big influence on my playing. Shadowlife, though... god, was a terrible record.

BenoA likes this.
  9. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

Some of us just listened to John Lee Hooker and The Velvet Underground.
    Doesn’t make us bad people. :)

10. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

This is because Furious George is a teacher, or was, anyways. I kind of think you're always a teacher. The key, as I see it, to being a great teacher is always learning and adapting. You learn from your students, you gotta stay one step ahead, and you've gotta learn to teach people of all types. So basically what I mean is that it doesn't surprise me that George has become a student here or there because that's what being a great teacher is about. I'm glad he didn't get in Ozzy. He could've ended up used up, tossed out, and dead or out of it for 20 years. Dokken, Lynch Mob, and other solo projects have kept him busy and putting out interesting material. I'm glad it's been that way since the 80s.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    ned7flat5, NorCal_Val and mikeratan00 like this.
  11. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Lol, I love that album!
    It's unlike anything else in the Dokken catalogue for sure, but I think there are some great songs on there, and George's playing had a different feel, which I dig. Great production too- Jeff's bass sounds massive.
    Plus, Don could still sing back then :D

12. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Eh. I can dig Dysfunctional, but Shadowlife doesn't gel with me at all. If it doesn't gel, it's not Jello.

freedom's door likes this.
  13. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

[QUOTE="John 14:6, post: 24341723, member: 129650"Lynch was better with Dokken anyway and Dokken could have been an even bigger success had the band not imploded due to ego conflicts while selling millions of records.[/QUOTE]

I think Dokken and the hair metal era was over at Back For the Attack.

I'm surprised that album sold platinum in the US, because it didn't have too many hits on it. I love the album. I think this one and the first Lynch Mo are GL's best work.

But Dokken, Extreme, and most of the smaller "hair" bands had a hard time after 91; egos and fighting in Dokken didn't lead as much to their decline.

I saw Dokken in 87 and they were boring and GL was great. But you could tell that there was no chemistry in the band.

14. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

You're surprised it went Platinum in the US? Uh... AHEM...

Nevermind the fact that the album is practically a greatest hits record.

15. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Not many radio hits and that movie was $50M gross? not a big movie.

The record was probably more mainstream in the US than here in Canada.

16. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

It's on a short list of horror fan favorites.

17. negative.feedback

negative.feedback Member

Regarding that clip only: Unique, yes - Good? No.

I really like some of his stuff though.

18. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I like Shadowlife better than Dysfunctional. The only song on Dysfunctional I dig is "Too High Too Fly", and George doesn't even do a solo on the studio version. The cover of "From The Beginning" is pretty cool too.

19. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Shadowlife and that rap metal era of George Lynch when he was lifting a **** ton of weights (isn't that when he started really getting Ultimate Warrior'd up?) was the result of a midlife crisis. Not sure what the **** Lynch was smoking at that time, but I'm glad he kicked it cuz... WOW.

20. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

We can all be thankful that he only did one rap-metal album.
    I also didn't like the Souls Of We project at all.

I'm currently listening to the Sweet/Lynch album, and digging it.