Germanium Fuzz Face clones- Which transistors do you like best for classic FF sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gang twanger, Mar 17, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I want to discuss people's preferences on which germanium transistors are able to give you that classic Arbiter Fuzz Face sound. Are you stuck on the classics (AC-128, NKT-275)? How do you feel about some of the other transistors (2n404, and others) and their ability to deliver the goods? Is N.O.S./Vintage Original Spec. the only way to fly, or can you get "The" sound with a transistor that's a little off the beaten path? Let's hear your choices and why you prefer them.
    :munch

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

:munchMumb.....**burp**.....Bhumbh.......(swallow)....**burp**.......bump.

3. gregory49

gregory49 Member

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Anybody?:munchAnghhyvvhogghy?.....**burp**.................................

5. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Never tried NKT, but AC128's always work real well for me.

6. russv

russv Member

My retro man nu fuzz has AC188's. It sounds damn nice.

7. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Part of the reason I'm bringing this up is this: The Fuzz Face clone that I own has got 2n404's (Texas Instruments) in it. I'm not even certain if they're New Old Stock, or just new. I learned a little about the 2n404 trannies and their long history, but don't know too much about their sound. However, I do know that my FF clone sounds really, really sweet; especially since I've had a chance to adjust the bias trim a little more to my liking (I like a slightly spongier feel). Also, I have noticed other effects makers (well-known, highly-regarded effects people) who are not afraid to stray from the norm, and still manage to put out incredibly vintage and authentic-sounding clones. This has really got me thinking about the level of importance of transistor choice. I've heard great sounding, very authentic clones like the Analog Man NKT-275 Sunface, but I've also heard others which are not built exactly to spec. and still sounded as good. Who knows?
    I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible (in your opinion) for a pedal maker to buy a hundred or so newer transistors (as opposed to, say, N.O.S. '60's NKT275's) and, through rigorous inspection, testing, and listening, be able narrow it down to maybe 20 or 30 that meet the same strict specs and sound quality as a matched pair of N.O.S. NKT's or AC's?

8. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Australia!!
    I just love that aspect of the internet: That you can talk to someone in Siberia if they've got a web link. Nice!
    Love that Emma Samms! She had nice jubblies.