Germanium Fuzz Faces

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Baker4, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Baker4

Baker4 Member

I need one that will work well at low volumes on my Fender Pro Junior. I would also like it to clean up well with the volume knob on my guitar. What do you guys advise? I know no one sounds like him, but that early Jimi tone is my fuzz inspiration.

2. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

3. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

4. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

Go here to listen to my germanium Fuzz Face clone the Fuzz Haze.

www.throbak.com

It cleans up very nicely with the guitar's volume knob.

5. blueprint

blueprint Member

+1 on the Analogman Sunface.
    As far as I know, nothing else cleans up better.

6. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

+2 on the Sun Face. Also consider D*A*M Custom Shop for the same price. David's stuff is the best.

7. Baker4

Baker4 Member

How much do the sun faces go for used? I'm looking to spend <175 US. Also another quality is I don't want too much mud. I know it's a fuzz pedal, but I would still like some distinction.

8. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

The Fuzz Face is a fairly low gain circuit (compared to some of the seventies stuff) so a good one will have more than enough clarity. A clean playing technique helps obviously ;)

9. Ken Swanson

Ken Swanson Silver Supporting Member

There is a sunface in the emporium FS at an incredible price!!

10. Baker4

Baker4 Member

Yea I saw that one. Will the sunface be a good choice for the jimi-esque fuzz tones im after? (bold as love is a perfect example). The other two I like the looks of are the MJM London Fuzz and Fulltone '69.

11. blueprint

blueprint Member

The Sun Face is a killer fuzz, very early Hendrix-sounding.
    By the way, it's not for beginners (nothing rude towards you, Mike himself says that on his webpage...). It's definitively not an easy pedal to tame.

12. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

I've only played the Sunface very briefly, but it seemed to lack some clarity and dynamics A/B'd with my '69. I'm not very familiar with Hendrix sounds, just couldn't find my sound there!

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I'm diggin the hell out of my Ge McFuzz. It's pretty low gain like the Fulltone 69 but has a TON of volume of tap. Great for rhythm and boost duties.

14. eric-d

eric-d Member

I own a Sunface but it's a lot less gain than one would expect. I would vote for the MJM London Fuzz because it's insane!! Just thick wall of good fuzz tones. Especially with a Fender amp. I did not like the '69 with Fender amps either. It was kinda brittle and too gritty for me. The McFuzz wasn't one of my fav's. It's a good fuzz but it's bright sounding to me. I cannot comment on Thobak's stuff.

15. seanthomas46

seanthomas46 Member

Basically, with germanium fuzz faces, the name doesn't really matter. There's 3 types of transistor's that could get you that early rock sound, AC128, NKT275, and the silicon BC108. There's others that stem from there and sound good, but as long as you've got a good one of those inside, good parts that make up the pedal, and point to point wiring (no pc board) then your sound is there. The rest is up to you.

16. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

It is true that names don't matter. The biggest point is what will work with your set up. My Mcfuzz sounds awesome with my Fender Champ and Marshall JTM 30. It actually has gobs of gain and volume sounds fat and cleans up well. IT also sounded great with a Fender Twin Reverb. But as Devil-Tone mentioned, when we played it on his Fender amp, it sounded WAY too bright! Totally different pedal. Mcfuzzes are known for sounding good on Fender amps, as noted above. But it didn't with DT's. Go figure. DT's Sunface did sound awesome. I hear good things about the Gypsy Fuzz. But I am planning on building my own with some NOS NKT 275s I bought from a famous pedal builder 9 years ago that I forgot I had!

17. eric-d

eric-d Member

Let me know if you want some help building that bad boy!!! :D

18. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sure will. Thanks!:AOK

19. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

Point to point wiring makes absolutely zero difference in a stomp box assuming that the PC board is well designed and the traces are done with the heaviest weight copper. I have made them both ways and there is no difference. In an amp with high voltage current and power and output transformers hand wiring the amp does make a difference but in a stomp box, no.

As far as germanium transistors go there are many, many, many different types of germanium transistors that will make a killer Fuzz Face clone. The most important factor in a successful Fuzz Face clone is low leakage transistors of the correct gain not the brand or number on the transistor.

20. moodog

moodog Member

+1 on the point to point bull sh*t. And I'll add that it's just as bull sh*t in amps too!