Germanium treble boosters

Meriphew

I've been thinking about picking up a germanium treble booster to add more variety to my board. What are your faves out there? I've been looking at the Diamond Marquis, Wren & Cuff Phat Phuck, and possibly the Bearfoot Ruby Red Booster that's rumored to be coming out.

I already have a Spaceman Saturn V booster on my board, so I'm looking for a different flavor. I also have a Spaceman Sputnik (germanium fuzz) on my board, and I'm a bit curious as to how two germanium pedals will react to each other when running in series.

Any insight from the germ treble booster connoisuers out there would be greatly appreciated.

Plumcrazy fx "the squawk" is my fav of the ones I've tried (admittedly not that many) so far. Selectable between Ge/Si, and has nice range of tones from the 6 position tone switch.

Keen on trying a Naga Viper though. Hopefully this weekend will give me some time to check it out.

Dr. Lo

Many will suggest the Analogman Beanoboost or the Keeley Java Boost. I've had both and their both great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rawpower

I'll second plum crazy fx squwak, it is a great treble booster, the six position switch is awesome, I have had it 3 years and never felt the need to try another, it is a great pedal.

jp1977

Can't say enough about the quality, tone, and customer service with throbak. Check them out, you won't be sorry.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I'd add the Guitar Systems Treble Tool to the list. Nice versatile pedal and you can tune it from really bright to a more full sound.

Look at the AM *Mini* Beano Boost if you want a small footprint.

-bEn r.

schwa

I love my Beano Boost. It's one of my favorite pedals in a good sized collection.

indyrunner03

After any pedal with a buffer and before any dirt pedal (assuming you want to stack).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's essentially where I've placed it - after my Klone and before a DLS mkIII. However, I put my RAH just before it...found it too brittle when I tried it before the RAH.

indyrunner03

What is your impression of it, otherwise?
Honestly, it's my first treble booster so I wasn't really sure what to expect (other than an obvious boost in the top end). It's almost too much top end, IMHO. The jury is still out as to whether it will last on my board but YMMV.

XKnight

HBE Germania is great and a nice price point too. Can get vintage Rangemaster type tones and beyond.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
I have had several treble boosters: PCE Ranger, Plum Crazy Squawk, and AM Beano Boost. The tone control on the Ranger was a nice feature. The Squawk was versatile, but a bit too noisy. Too much pop, click, and radio stations. The AM Beano Boost was the best of the bunch. Well built and quiet.

schwa

I got mine Saturday. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where to put it in my pedal chain.
I place mine as close to the front as possible, after wah and Ge Fuzz. I don't think it works well after a buffer.

Just curious - what amp(s) are you using? I like a treble booster best with a NMV Marshall turned up (to push it over the top).