Germino 2x12 or Bogner oversized?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingsxman, Aug 5, 2005.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Another comparison. As stated earlier...I'd love to get a Bogner..but am finding it next to impossible to find anyone with one in stock. After talking to a dealer, they claim that the Germino is basically the same cab. Same dimiensions, etc.

Anyone compared the 2?

2. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

According to their website, Make' n Music...www.makenmusic.com has an oversized Bogner 2x12 in stock. Did you check with them yet?

Also, I would think that if you did need to order a Bogner 2x12 cab that the wait time would be not long at all (??). Unlike a lot of the smaller guys, there usually is not a long wait time on the Bogner stuff.

3. kingsxman

In my calls someone told me that the Germino was basically the same cabinet. Then I talked to a few others who said "no...they arent the same".

I did talk to MakenMusic and they are out. I found a couple others though. We'll see....

4. m1911

m1911 Member

I believe all the Germinos are very sturdy, jointed, and birch ply.
    Not sure what wood the Bogners are....but that alone would make a difference to me.
    Some manufacturers use different kinds of particle board. That doesn't make it bad....I've just never liked it.
    Ply wood will last forever.

5. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I've played both cabs. They are both great. The Bogner is significantly heavier. Something to keep in mind.

6. Roe

Roe Member

germino cabs is made by mojotone. Mojotone is cheaper and gives you more options.

7. kingsxman

I've already got "cheaper" and "good" in my Avatar 2x12. I'm looking for best now. I want something that will sound stellar with any amp I put on it. Looks like the Budda is going to be the amp that makes the cut for me and my Marshall JCM 800 will be hitting the for sale rack. We'll see after the gig tonight.

8. Roe

Roe Member

the mojotone cab might be the best - they sound identical to the germino cabs.

the mojotone is a copy of an old marshall cab - the bogner is not that. the bogner have white loining on the whole
    back pannel - something you won't find on a germino/mojo cab. this is supposed tp preventing the back from vibrating against the post. Some likes this, other claim that you'll loose resonance and that the cab will sound a bit dead.

The bogner cab is heavier and looks bigger. the cabs DON'T have "Same dimiensions". The bogner cab is higher, but not as deep as the marshall/mojo/germino cab. I suppose that the bogner cab will have a little bit more bass and a somewhat quicker attack. The mojo cab on the other hand, will have a bit more resonance. This means that the bogner cab probably will be stiffer and sound better for mordern heavy or detuned riffs. the mojo cab will sound a bit oler and bluesier, I think.

I've just bought these two cabs myself. I am going to test them with new speakers (2 celestion blues, weber c1230-55 and alnico siler dog) during the next weeks. If your interested, you can ask me later - then I can give a much more detailed report, i hope.

9. kingsxman

ROe, thanks for the note. I'm very interested to hear what you find. You should post it...or at least email me. I"m pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Bogner. The "heavy" does bother me about it...but even places I've called who dont sell them have stated "They are the best". I guess it depends on what kind of music your playing though also. I play classic rock mainly.

I just want something that will sound good with any head I put with it.

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have the Germino with Celestion Heritage G12H30s and it sounds great with all my heads. Komet, Brunos, Germino and London heads. This is not a "cheap" cab but a very well built Marshall style cab that has tight bass and smooth mids and highs. More vintage sounding than the Bogner, which is more modern, IMHO. The more I play the Germino, the more I like it. I have 3 other high end cabs and this one is my favorite.

11. Roe

Roe Member

If you buy a bogner, mojo, or germino cab , get it with the open/closed back option.
    i'd recommed the mojo 2x12" with celestion alnico blues - it only costs 625§. these speakers sells for at least 310§ a piece. the problem is that they're only 15watts.

12. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I have a Mojotone cab with 2 Celestions in it - a G12H30 and a V30. It sounds great and is very solid. I use it with Marshalls for blues and rock stuff...nothing very heavy. It has a great thick, woody sound. I've never tried the Bogner though so I can't compare them. But I'd bet the Germino would be great since it is a Mojotone cab.

13. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Not to confound you, but I own a Bogner OS 2x12 (G12H30s) and I only like how one of my 3 heads (Valvetech, Fargen Mini Plex, Marshall Artist 3203) sounds through it. Buy boy, the Valvetech/Bogner pairing is magic.

14. userd

userd Member

Is the mojotone a copy of the bluesbraker design/size?

15. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I just talked to a buddy who is a Bogner dealer and he said that since the summer NAMM show Bogner has had a lot of orders come in and their cab/tolex man is having trouble keeping up..there is a 3-4 week wait on new Bogner orders now. Probably why you aren't finding one in stock.

16. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

17. kingsxman

Yep, pretty much everyone I called was 4-8 weeks out. I found a used one however so thats the route I've gone. We'll see how it sounds with my Budda head.

18. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Good for you, FWIW I had an oversized Bogner 2x12 w/V30's and it's the only cab I regret selling....dumb, dumb move that was.

19. johnny q

johnny q Member

GAT...

Talk to me about the Germino cab w/ the Heritage G12H30's! I have a Lead 55 and Germino 4x12 w/ these speakers, due literally today and I have been losing sleep over whether or not I should have chosen the Heritage G12M's. I went with the 30's because I wanted the additional low end and also wanted to be able to use my 100 watters with the cab.

JQ

20. Roe

Roe Member

One difference between the mojo/germino cab and the bogner cab, is that the bogner have a post that's sustaining the back panel. this will give the bogner a tighter and less resonant sound.
    The bogner also comes with a thick, nice speaker cable. it's also painted black inside.

save some money - get weber c1230s instead of the expencive celestions. I don't think the celestions are better than the webers/scumbacks. weber makes both a lead (75hz) and a bass (55hz) version. the webers are made to sound like a new speaker - the scumbacks (and the celestions?) are not this.