Germino 2x12 or Bogner oversized?

glogulus

Silver Supporting Member
I just loaded my mojo 4x12 straight with scumbag speakers and I'm digging it. Still in the honeymoon phase, but so far I really like it compared to my bogner 2x12.

devbro

Love my Bogner OS 2x12. It sounds like a 4x12. My only beef is the cheesy 2 inch casters they put on it. I just ordered some 4 inch hard rubber beefy casters from http://www.castercity.com and put them on today. What a difference :D

Sharkey

Devbro,

Witch exact caster did you end up useing and how did they working with the existing holes?

Thanks

Roe

I've been using a closed mojo cab (like a germino) with 2 celestion blues lately. It sounds nice when the speakers start to break in. Very nice for blues, rock and a bit of country. Compresses quite a bit. Sounds very good with slide. Works very well with a wah. Delay and phaser also sounds good.

It isn't the best for heavy stuff, but you can play some sabbath riffs.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Check out http://www.vibroworld.com/

Here is an e-mail back from them regarding a Bogner oversized 2x12 copy (measurements are same as Bogner website, but description of covering seems off). :

? qty. custom size Bogner style, closed -back cabinet only, no
speakers, to
fit Marshall 19?? model ?? chassis
[OD: 25 3/4 height x 29 3/4 width x 11 7/8 depth, must send all the
exact chassis dimensions and style photo]
Your choice: [ ] Baltic birch or [ ] solid pine, finger-jointed
sides,
A-grade mahogany plywood front/back panels, front cutout for 2 x
12-inch
speakers, with speaker mounting hardware
Black Levant covering with gold veins
top/bottom, with white piping around black grill cloth, with cabinet
feet,
and H1195 chrome handle
solid pine sides @ US$305.00 each
baltic birch sides @ US$355.00 each

mude

Silver Supporting Member
Both cabs are great. The Germino I played has the open or closed back option. I played it in the open back position. Lighter, more resonant than the Bogner. There Germino definitely had more of a vintage vibe to it. I really like them both.

Evan.

Ricker

Originally posted by kingsxman
Yep, pretty much everyone I called was 4-8 weeks out. I found a used one however so thats the route I've gone. We'll see how it sounds with my Budda head.
I run my Budda sd80 thru my Bog OS 2x12.....it sounds so damn tight and smooth..........It has the bottom end that will help the sd30 too I'm sure..........It's a great sounding cab rear loaded with a v30 and a Classic lead 80.............A cool pairing for rock.......to .......metal........Ialso use it for alot of blues it does a great job here too.........wonderful cab........Get one because you're always gonna wanna know what the best sounds like.................The purple Budda just goes so nicely on top the yellowy Bog

cheers
Rick

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Ricker. I got my Bogner about 2 weeks ago. 2 V30's in it.
I think its a great cab, but so far I have to be honest that I dont think its $400 better than my Avatar cab. The V30's are a bit too mushy maybe for my tastes. I tried throwing in a GH30 to pair with the V30 but it really didnt sound as good as the 2 V30's. I havent gigged yet with it so we'll see how it sounds in a gigging situation.
The deal with pairing it with the Budda is that the SD30 is a very warm amp without alot of bite. THe 2 V30's maybe just are a bit too mellow. I dont know. How does the classic lead 80 sound compared to a V30?

tubez

Suspended
I"m in the market for possibly a new cab myself. I now have a boogie 1x12 recto cab with a UK vintage 30 celestion. Its not that dislike it but I am sure a 2x12 would be an improvement. The 3 cabs I was considering was either the avatar, a carolina cab (which is a thd knockoff from mojotone) and an ear candy. I spoke with tim at earcandy and he seems to know his s--t. I will probably go with the earcandy cab which look extremely well made. Tim swears his design which is different then how most cabs are designed clearly will have more of an impact on the overall projection of sound. His prices are very reasonable. Not as cheap as the avatar's but probably a far better cab. Most of the Botique cabs are overpriced IMO. I still don't know what speakers to go with... Decisions decisions.....

tubez

Suspended
Hi,

I play whatever I feel like jammin to. The tones I like are old EVH, Satch Newer Vai, Di'martini, old Gary Moore, some ZZ Top, live Jimmy Page, Kings X.... and a few others.....

Ricker

Originally posted by kingsxman
Hey Ricker. I got my Bogner about 2 weeks ago. 2 V30's in it.
I think its a great cab, but so far I have to be honest that I dont think its $400 better than my Avatar cab. The V30's are a bit too mushy maybe for my tastes. I tried throwing in a GH30 to pair with the V30 but it really didnt sound as good as the 2 V30's. I havent gigged yet with it so we'll see how it sounds in a gigging situation.
The deal with pairing it with the Budda is that the SD30 is a very warm amp without alot of bite. THe 2 V30's maybe just are a bit too mellow. I dont know. How does the classic lead 80 sound compared to a V30?
Gee How time flies.....he he he
The cl80 has more hi fi top-end
and a bit more bass.
It has more lower mids and less mids and upper mids.
The bass is not as tight as a v30 though.
I either go with 2 v30s or a v30 and a cl80............the cl80 is 99db sensitivity as opposed to the 100db of the v30.

I tell you ........you can't really tell untill you've gigged with it.........that's all I want my cab to do .....is sound good gigging........the rest is easy............

cheers
Rick

Roe

I've found a great sounding combo:

in a mojo cab:
Side A - alnico Silver bell (8 ohms; 30w) [ca 97db with lots of bass];
side B - alnico blue (16 ohms; 15w) in parallell with a Weber Silencer (16 ohm; 20w) [ca 100db-3db=97db with lots of top end].

this makes the cab a 60w 4/16ohms cab

In the bogner cab I use the same, except I use a c1230-55 instead of the silver bell. (I use a celestion alnico blue (15w, 16ohms), a weber silencer (20w, 16 ohms) and a 30w (8 ohms) g12h/c1230-55. This way half of the power will go to c1230-55 and one quart will go to the alnico blue.) The c1230-55 is slightly louder than the blues when I wire it like this, but because the c1230 is a darker sounding speaker, the blues is very easy to hear. This way most of the bass comes from the ceramic g12h-55 while most of the high end seem to come from the alnico blue.
This makes the bogner a 60w 16 ohms cab.

these two combos seems to work very well. a silver bell or g12h-55 improves the bass response.
I use both cabs at the same time at rehearsals an only one cab on small gigs. Amp is a alessandor rottweiler or a koch multitone

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Ricker, just an FYI. I've gigged 3 times now with the Bogner and am loving it. It still could use a bit more bite...but overall I can hear the cab much better and its VERY smooth. Our sound men have loved it.

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
I've always found the Bluesbreaker Style II cab to be the perfect size for anything but higher gain stuff.

If we are talking Bogner, then it's called the "Shiva" sized cab. I've had cabs large and small, including a cab modeled after the Bogner oversized.

In a side by side comparison (OS vs. the Shiva sized cab) the Shiva sized cab produced better and clearer tones and ample bottom end. To me, the OS cab always seemed a tad boomy and sounded as though the higher treble and mid frequencies were "rounded off".

Now when tested with a high gain Mesa Dual Recto, the OS cab sounded way better. But that was only using the higher gain settings.

Bottom line, is you need to look at construction (finger joints & dovetails are always good), wood type (void free all birch ply or solid pine or other solid exotic), and baffle thickness (1/2" or less for 2x12's). After that, it's all cosmetic or what particular name badge you'd prefer to see on the front of the cab!

Roe

I now frefer my mojotone cab over the bogner cab. The bogner cab seems to be better for metal and heavy rock though.
the mojo cab is more old school - great for alt. country, blues, and rock.

Trending Topics