• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Germino 4x10 Bassman 5F6A & 5F4 Super

Butch1970

Awesome! Still lovin’ mine. Sounds better every day.

What speakers did you go with?
On Greg's recommendation, I went with the Celestion Golds. I also sent him a pair of NOS Tung-Sol 5881's to load into the amp. I'm liking what the Golds do as far as holding the amp together and I'm sure that the tubes are also adding a bit of their own mojo to the recipe :)

How are you liking the Allessandro speakers? Close in voicing to original Jensens?

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
On Greg's recommendation, I went with the Celestion Golds. I also sent him a pair of NOS Tung-Sol 5881's to load into the amp. I'm liking what the Golds do as far as holding the amp together and I'm sure that the tubes are also adding a bit of their own mojo to the recipe :)

How are you liking the Allessandro speakers? Close in voicing to original Jensens?
Nice! I know the Gold’s sound great in the tweeds, but I’m going for an all American vibe with mine.
I do love the Allesandro’s, but feeling the need to experiment. I just ordered a slight variation of another one of Greg’s recommendations, the WGS Veteran. I just ordered 3 Fat Jimmy 1025’s to give a whirl.
Looking forward to giving those a shot.

I bet those NOS Tung Sol’s with the Gold’s and Greg’s touch sound fantastic!

dumbell78

Nice! I know the Gold’s sound great in the tweeds, but I’m going for an all American vibe with mine.
I do love the Allesandro’s, but feeling the need to experiment. I just ordered a slight variation of another one of Greg’s recommendations, the WGS Veteran. I just ordered 3 Fat Jimmy 1025’s to give a whirl.

Interesting that Greg likes the WGS Veteran in the Bandmaster, pretty cool. I need to check that speaker out in detail, always wondered about it.

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting that Greg likes the WGS Veteran in the Bandmaster, pretty cool. I need to check that speaker out in detail, always wondered about it.
He didn’t necessarily say the Veteran in the Bandmaster, remember I have #001 and you have #002, both with very different speakers selections.
He had two in a Bassman he had at his shop and was bragging on them in general.

Do you have a 12AX7 or 12AY7 in V1? I put a 5751 in place of the 12AX7 the other day and have been enjoying it. Slightly less gain.

silver surfer

Greatly looking forward to your comparison of the GA's and the Fat Jimmy's. You know how much I love the GA's, but the only other speaker I would like to try right now is the Fat Jimmy 1025 mostly for the break up characteristics that I read about. Can't imagine a more perfect all around speaker than the GA for me, but something different is always interesting. I will sometimes run my DR into a Gold I have in a separate cab, and always enjoy that.

Butch1970

@wreckmark

I think we might’ve gotten my post tied up with dumbell78 , but at the moment I’ve got an old RCA 12AX7A stuck in V1. Sounds great, though I do plan on trying a 12AY7. I do have a bunch of 5751’s on hand so that might be a good option to try as well.

I can totally understand your speaker experimentation with the Germino, maybe to differentiate from what you already have. Nice to have 3 Bandmaster types to compare! I’d like to try a Z-Master one of these days.

Not new to Germino’s but this is my first Tweed and my first amp with 10” speakers. So far, it’s holding its own against a Route 66 and a Carr Slant 6V in fixed-bias mode.

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
@wreckmark

I can totally understand your speaker experimentation with the Germino, maybe to differentiate from what you already have. Nice to have 3 Bandmaster types to compare! I’d like to try a Z-Master one of these days.
You got that right. The ZMaster has speakers very similar to the Alesandro’s. And the Weber’s in the Clark are staying. So it makes sense the Germino is the speaker experimentation unit. It may even end up with 3 Gold’s in it! I told Greg that too. But I love that the Germino is the lightest of the 3. Part of th3 reason to go with the Fat Jimmy’s. The Gold’s would push it into over the Z weight.

We shall see.

Butch1970

You got that right. The ZMaster has speakers very similar to the Alesandro’s. And the Weber’s in the Clark are staying. So it makes sense the Germino is the speaker experimentation unit. It may even end up with 3 Gold’s in it! I told Greg that too. But I love that the Germino is the lightest of the 3. Part of th3 reason to go with the Fat Jimmy’s. The Gold’s would push it into over the Z weight.

We shall see.
Well, I for one will be very happy to hear what you find after all of the speaker swaps! All of my other speakers on hand are 12" and the cabs are all wired for either 8 or 16 ohms, so not a good way to test options.

With some of the Bandmaster or general Tweed demos that I've heard online, sometimes they don't hold together all that well when they're really turned up. I'm happy to report that the Germino with Golds does hold together nicely with the amp cranked up pretty high. Now, that sound might get away from the traditional thing that a lot of people would want, but for now I'm enjoying it. Maybe at some point someone will figure out a speaker combo that gets the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
Greatly looking forward to your comparison of the GA's and the Fat Jimmy's. You know how much I love the GA's, but the only other speaker I would like to try right now is the Fat Jimmy 1025 mostly for the break up characteristics that I read about.
The WGS/Fat Jimmy's came today. While installing them, I got to thinking, these probably won't sound much different. Was already thinking about Gold's. The cone looks basically the same. The dust cover is different. The Fat Jimmy's are actually slightly heavier than the Allesando's. The positive and negative terminals are opposite so I had to reconfigure the wiring.

Upon powering up, I was immediately impressed! The Fat Jimmy's are slightly less efficient/loud, but have slightly more highs and lows. Yet they are warmer & smoother! After playing a few hours this afternoon, I'm liking these better than the GA's. Much better actually. ......more to come~

silver surfer

The WGS/Fat Jimmy's came today. While installing them, I got to thinking, these probably won't sound much different. Was already thinking about Gold's. The cone looks basically the same. The dust cover is different. The Fat Jimmy's are actually slightly heavier than the Allesando's. The positive and negative terminals are opposite so I had to reconfigure the wiring.

Upon powering up, I was immediately impressed! The Fat Jimmy's are slightly less efficient/loud, but have slightly more highs and lows. Yet they are warmer & smoother! After playing a few hours this afternoon, I'm liking these better than the GA's. Much better actually. ......more to come~
Great to hear that you are liking them. I keep reading good things about them.

wreckmark, I am looking for a Bandmaster, true 55 5E7, not a hot rodded version. Now that you have had Gregs with the Fat Jimmy speakers, how does it compare to the Clark with Webers? Thank you for your help! OMOW

dirtyguitar

Gold Supporting Member
No clips needed.....for me.

Marshall copied Fender. It’s a step backwards in technology.

The Germino was the best Tweed Deluxe I tried out of, Tungsten, Victoria, Clark, Speed Shop and I think I’m leaving one or two out.

I gots faith. :cool:
I’ve got a Vicky 5E3 and am currently honeymooning with a Germino Classic 45.

What did you like better about the Greg’s 5E3? Specifically?

I have never had anything but stellar results with Mark including his support over many years.

Greg has also been very patient and forthcoming with information.

Both A+ in my book, and to my eyes and ears both stellar craftsmen.

So, again, what specifically did you prefer about Greg’s 5E3?

dirtyguitar

Gold Supporting Member
On a related note, I did something bizarre last night. I plugged my Classic 45 into a wide pine box cab with a single 10” Gold. 8 ohm speaker, amp on 16. Guitar into B1 jumper out B2, though a Kendrick 6G15 (with a Gibbs pan) and back into N1.

It was freaking really cool. I was sitting on a sofa with a Strat and really got into my happy place. I would open my eyes and say “Holy ****!) that’s a 1x10.

The C45 was working but not full out, around half on each volume.

Unexpectedly, crazy good. Ordered a Gold 12 and a Ruby 12 to play. But also looking for another Gold 10 at a good price.

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
wreckmark, I am looking for a Bandmaster, true 55 5E7, not a hot rodded version. Now that you have had Gregs with the Fat Jimmy speakers, how does it compare to the Clark with Webers? Thank you for your help! OMOW
I've never played a vintage Bandmaster, so I don't have a clue. Both the Germino and the Clark sound very similar. The Fat Jimmy's are not as efficient as the Webers, so that can be a good thing.

Thank you wreckmark. A great video of a nice 55 5E7 is by Emerald City Guitars Pick of the Day 1955 Fender bandmaster. If you have 5 minutes take a listen.
The Fat Jimmys sound like the way to go for my use. Thank you for your help and if you can listen to that video I would like to hear your take on that compared to your Germino and Clark. Thanks, OMOW

Trending Topics