• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Germino 4x10 Bassman 5F6A & 5F4 Super

hotpaul

Just listened. That was a heck of a great sounding amp and guitar combo. Too bad it got the mic clipping. I bet it sounded great in room

Hamiltone

Gold Supporting Member
Old Man, it sounds great. I did swap the 12ay7 for a 5751. Also tried a JAN Sylvania 12ax7. I have had a THD, Kendrick, Victoria and Fender Reissue Bassman in the last 25 years. This one is at the top. Greg suggested WGS speakers, 2 Alnico’s and 2 Ceramics. I think it was the right decision. I started at 10 on the bright channell and the dynamics were great with the volume on the guitar. I have a tele and strat copy both with singles. The speakers seem to be breaking in nice. I did back the volume down to 5 and it sounds very full at lower volumes. The amp is super quiet as well.

Old Man, it sounds great. I did swap the 12ay7 for a 5751. Also tried a JAN Sylvania 12ax7. I have had a THD, Kendrick, Victoria and Fender Reissue Bassman in the last 25 years. This one is at the top. Greg suggested WGS speakers, 2 Alnico’s and 2 Ceramics. I think it was the right decision. I started at 10 on the bright channell and the dynamics were great with the volume on the guitar. I have a tele and strat copy both with singles. The speakers seem to be breaking in nice. I did back the volume down to 5 and it sounds very full at lower volumes. The amp is super quiet as well.
Thank you Mark, sounds great! making my choice harder but Greg's the guy.

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you wreckmark. A great video of a nice 55 5E7 is by Emerald City Guitars Pick of the Day 1955 Fender bandmaster. If you have 5 minutes take a listen.
The Fat Jimmys sound like the way to go for my use. Thank you for your help and if you can listen to that video I would like to hear your take on that compared to your Germino and Clark. Thanks, OMOW
I just listed to it. Actually the Germino and Clark sound better to my ears. The highs on the 55 sounded good, but the low end was kinda farty. The low-end on these amps is amazing.
Between the Germino and Clark, both great amps and sound very similar..... If you want the best customer service....go with Germino hands down.

This one has the same vibe:

Fender doesn't make this amp currently. I'd go with the one man made Germino regardless.
More comparisons:

I just listed to it. Actually the Germino and Clark sound better to my ears. The highs on the 55 sounded good, but the low end was kinda farty. The low-end on these amps is amazing.
Between the Germino and Clark, both great amps and sound very similar..... If you want the best customer service....go with Germino hands down.

Fender doesn't make this amp currently. I'd go with the one man made Germino regardless.
More comparisons:
Fantastic, thank you wreckmark!

Butch1970

I did a bit of tube swapping in V1 with the Bandmaster this evening. Greg Levy had recommended RCAs in the preamp when I ordered my Tung-Sol 5881s from him, but I decided to hold off for a bit and try a few tubes from my stash.

I started off with a used RCA 12AX7A (tests strong on one triode, weak on the other) which I found to be an improvement over the TAD in harmonic content and have left that in the amp for awhile. Tonight I tried an RCA 5751 Command from my stash that I purchased NOS a while back. That definitely provided some more clean headroom and sparkle over the RCA 12AX7A without feeling like I neutered the amp.

Next I tried a fresh NOS GE 12AX7A/7025. I can't say much about the heritage of this tube other than I likely purchased it from KCA tubes a while back. This one had good dynamic pop and at least as much top end as the 5751, but that top end and a leaner sounding midrange made me want to put that old, used RCA 12AX7A back in the amp. I might try the GE in another position or in another amp.

Moral of the story, I think Greg Levy was right in recommending the RCAs in the preamp slots for this build. I've yet to try a 12AY7 and I don't have any in my stash so I'll probably get one of those and another 12AX7.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member

More comparisons:
Fender hit it out of the park on the Fender 57 Bandmaster, I own one and it’s one of my fav amps, One of the sweetest overdrive tones...the amp has mojo...if there’s a used one for sale, I would jump on it.
Germino builds great amps and would love to hear his amp side by side to the Fender amp, would be a great compare.

DV52

Fender hit it out of the park on the Fender 57 Bandmaster, I own one and it’s one of my fav amps, One of the sweetest overdrive tones...the amp has mojo...if there’s a used one for sale, I would jump on it.
Germino builds great amps and would love to hear his amp side by side to the Fender amp, would be a great compare.
I had one as well and would like to still have it .

dumbell78

Not to derail but never got why Fender stopped making that. Every clip of that amp sounds great.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
Not to derail but never got why Fender stopped making that. Every clip of that amp sounds great.
I agree, I am going to guess it was about the profit, it was selling for around $2500 and all hand wired. They made a few and stopped. Definitely a fav.

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
Just buy a Germino and have a Bandmaster hand made by one man.....With better parts. ;)

wreckmark, have you made a decision on speakers? You have a great group to listen to. Thanks OMOW
Sticking with the Fat Jimmy/WGS's for the time being. Digging these speakers.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Just buy a Germino and have a Bandmaster hand made by one man.....With better parts. ;)
how do you like the germino bandmaster vs your z-master?

also, i think you mentioned having a LPTT? How does the bandmaster compare to the tweed twin, in general, if you dont mind sharing?

thanks!

wreckmark

Gold Supporting Member
how do you like the germino bandmaster vs your z-master?

also, i think you mentioned having a LPTT? How does the bandmaster compare to the tweed twin, in general, if you dont mind sharing?

thanks!
The LPTT and Z-Master have both been sold.....if that tells you anything. ;)

Both great amps, but the Bandmaster sits right where I need it to with volume & headroom.

monkey man

I've always heard NOTHING sounds like an old Bassman.
I figure if anyone could make a reproduction that could, it would be Germino. Are there any clips out there?

Guitar Dave T

I've always heard NOTHING sounds like an old Bassman.
I figure if anyone could make a reproduction that could, it would be Germino. Are there any clips out there?
With all due respect, I had an original, and later, a reissue. The original sounded great, with the exact perfect balance of midrange honk and, if not quite Marshall sizzle, definitely the best sounding & feeling Fender Brilliance on the spectrum.

Exact same thing with the reissue.

Point being, it's a circuit design with a wide range of optimal outcomes when it comes to materials, processes and/or gaping component tolerances.

IOW, it's a truly great basic circuit that you'd have to really work hard at effing up.

Even Duane's tweed Bassman on the '71 A&R recordings sounded like a typical, long-service-hours studio tube amp back in the day. It's apparent when comparing my own 5F6 experience, that amp could have probably benefited from a glass refresh & tune-up.

And yet it STILL sounded awesome.

Not to dis Greg Germino; I have not played any of his amps, but his reputation for fine tuning them to a refined ear would bode well for insuring his take on the 5F6 would consistently make the top 5% of anyone's best of breed list.

With the 4-holer tweed Bassman, Germino's take and refined ear is probably icing on the cake for one of THE iconic tube amp designs of the 20th century.

Trending Topics