Germino Amps Have one? Want one? Sell one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ricoh, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ricoh

ricoh Member

Who has one and which model? What kind of music are you using it for? Who wants one and which model? Who sold one and what did you replace it with? Who sold one and wishes they didn't?

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Classic 45 is on my wish list.......for a classic rock type band

3. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Headroom 100. It is used for this band that can only be descibed as throwbacks to pre-metal - i.e. Blue Cheer, Captain Beyond. It's bizarre because everyone in the band is like 23. It's a hell of an amp for that.

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I have a LoVo Lead 55 on order. I play mostly dirty blues, latin influenced rock and psychedelia. I can barely contain myself.

-TJK

6. ricoh

ricoh Member

Blue Cheer!!!! Wow.....Man does that bring back memories...... Maybe I should say FLASHBACKS!!!!! Shared some DYNAMITE weed with them in 1969 at a psychodelic dungen called.... The Image in North Miami Beach. There was a real hippie scene in Miami during that time. All the great bands came through there.
    {Led Zepplin ....Greatful Dead.. ..Jeff Beck Group.... Jefferson Airplane..... Etc}I was in 10th grade. Took the bus to the show. During the show the guitar player "flipped out" onstage.
    Word was ..... Too much Purple Haze acid.
    Those were truly ...The Daze!!!!!!

7. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Currently... a Lead 55 into a Germino closed back 2x12 with Greenbacks. I also have a Classic 45 due to arrive soon in custom white tolex! :dude

Style of music = blues/rock, classic rock....Zeppelin, Cream, Free, early ZZ Top, Hendrix, AC/DC, etc...

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Carl,

I know you are a Jimi freak, as was wondering if your Monterey gets that beautiful fat chimey clean like on Castles, or Wind Cries Mary? Any chance you have some clean clips of that beast with a Strat. I drool everytime I see the pictures of that chassis! LOL!!!
    That sum' bitch must weigh 80 lbs. with all the iron its totin'!!!

I wonder how it differs tonally to the Headroom 100?

B

9. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Blue Cheer and Captain Beyond? Sign me up. Got any clips?

10. gregc

gregc Member

Lead 55, for classic rock stuff, usually with an\attenuator. Great amp; had &N sold a Masonette, another excellent amp, but a \little lacking in clean\ headroom for some of the stuff I was doing.
    ~~~
    gregc

11. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

More like the Wind Cries Mary. I believe alot of Axis-Bold as Love tunes, especially "Castles", might be Sound City amps, as Roger Mayer says they were used on that album.

That said, it gets closest to Jimi clean tones of any amp I ever had.
    There are a few clean/Vibe clips on the Soundclick page. Only thing is the amp is barely cracked on, so the clips are a bit flat sounding.
    I'm really thinking about getting an attenuator. Not to dime the amp, but just to get it into a proper operating range on the volume control.

The Headroom-100 will have the familiar Marshall high mids...the Monterey and the Classic 45 are a flatter response.

12. Blueser

Blueser Member

Cool....Thanks....BTW, I have a Weber MASS 100 if you want to try with your amp. I am not looking to sell mine, but you could try it and see if you like it, and then order one if you do. I work on the Island in Bethpage, so let me know. Shoot me an e-mail if you want to check it out.

B

13. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Not yet. Trust me though. When we have the album you'll know about it. I get a chuckle out of one thing - the average age of their audience could double if they get better known.

14. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

Thanks for the offer.
    I'm probably just going to get the THD when I got the bucks.:)

15. Blueser

Blueser Member

Sounds cool....Let us know how you make out when you do get it!

16. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Owned a Masonette, sold it to purchase a Classic 45, purchased another Masonette right away knowing I would miss it, have a Classic 45 on order and just purchased a used Club 40. The Masonette is a perfect little amp for home use, rehearsal and small gigs. Not very loud (when there is some clean on tap) but perfect for smaller rooms. Really has the plexi tone.

I will A/B the C45 and C40 when I have the pair and pick a winner. I was conflicted on which model to get and this will solve my dilemma.

I play Classic rock and blues.

<M

17. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

I've got a Club 40 and love it....you can hear some clips of my amp on the Germino site. (click here) Can't say enough great things about this amp. Someday I might get one of his 100's like the Monterey.

18. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Hey TS

Did you do the clips on the site? If so, very tasty playing and tones. Does your C40 have the JTM45 front end or the JMP? Sounds like the amp is opened up a little bit for a change. How was it set up? Speakers? Cab? Pedals? No pedals? Sounds killer!

<M

19. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I've got the Massonette.I would like to get the Lead55LV or the Club someday but the thought of giving up the Massonette to do that makes me think twice.I then fire up the amp and think to my self:What were you thinking?It doesn't get better than that!
    So,I forget about it and start thinking about saving up...

20. KLB

KLB Member

Germino fan here, owning these amps in this order:

1.) LV55 head
    2.) Masonette 1x12 combo (Purple)
    3.) 2x12 cab
    4.) 1x12 Combo shell for LV55 chassis (Red)
    5.) Club 40 head (prototype). Originally with higher-gain split-cathode setup, then switched to C45 front end which I prefer.

I sold the Masonette as a head after getting the Club 40, which is my favorite Germino. I would miss it, except...

I have the LV setup as a combo with JJ6V6 and NOS 5U4GB. To my ears, this sounds better than the Masonette, having a little more headroom and dynamics, but still getting the Masonette tone. The speaker is a Cannabis Rex.

The Club 40 is currently setup as a combo with a 5AR4 and 6L6. It handles pedals the best of any amp I own. I am thinking of switching to a 5U4GB and trying some of those small-bottle TAD (Shuguang) 6L6-WGC. The speaker is a K&M 65.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and understand the minor differences in the preamp and power supply between the various amps, you can fine tune them to your taste.

Greg is probably my favorite small-scale musical equipment builder!

- Ken