Germino Amps Have one? Want one? Sell one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ricoh, Mar 27, 2005.

1. KLB

KLB Member

Perry probably has more experience with Dr.Z gear than I do with Germino.

Speaking of Dr.Z, a buddy brought over his Delta 88 a few weeks ago. It kicks major booty!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

my wish was answered......Classic 45 2x12 combo in the house!! :cool:

3. cocheese

cocheese Silver Supporting Member

So Riff... What ya' think?

I'm totally digging the Club 40 here at my casa. Seems like the perfect marriage of the JTM45 front end with a more plexi output section. It's like he put the chocolate with the peanut butter! Yum!!!!

;)

4. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Cocheese, I'm totally with you! I just love the Club 40. I was playing it today and thinking, "I love this amp so much, I wish I could buy it all over again!" I have owned and sold the Masonette, which I liked, but the Club 40 is one I think I'll own for life.

5. cocheese

I agree. There is something about this amp that is just *right*. I tried switching preamp and power tubes on it today. The TAD in V! is the way to go. It's got the best bite and gain to my ears. I tried some Mullard EL34's in it and really warmed things up. Sounds WAY more vintage with the Mullards. I ended up putting the stock tubes back in because it just sounds so damn good that way.

I've been playing a Tele through it and cannot wait to play a Les Paul through it. I am getting one tomorrow...the "Mother of Pearly Gates" I call her! ;)

Emerson, much thanks to you and John for pointing me towards this one. Superb amp, a REAL keeper! :D

6. Moods

Moods Member

Gotta join the C40 love fest here...:D Not sure it could get any better for classic Marshall tones. Thanks Third Stone for the little push!

I have a tweaked C45 on order (well previous to the C40 purchase) and I'm wondering what to do with the darn thing. The C40 is really doing it for me. You never know, it might be even better. ;)

<M

7. KLB

KLB Member

A toneful tweedy bird told me that it will have the lower voltage power transformer (like a Club 40) and will be pushing a pair of the new 20w Celestions for an 8 ohm load. Should sound delicious!

8. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I've only played the amp, a 2x12 combo with GB's for a 16 Ohm load, for about 20 min with one guitar, a hollowbody Hamer Newport with Seth Lover humbuckers. The amp has a very pleasing sound........a little crunch around the edges with the volume at noon, and a very pleasing top end (articulate but not harsh). The one thing which struck me, though, was that I was running the amp with the bass control at zero, and still, there may have been a tad too much bass. I'm looking forward to playing the amp with the band for the true sonic test! :cool:

9. KLB

KLB Member

If you find the C40 has too much bass, you can swap the pair of .1mf caps in the phase inverter for .02mf. Alternately, you can crank the bass control, keep the normal volume low, and use the Bright channel for most of your sound. The preamp will have less breakup this way, though. Probably enough with a humbucker.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

I have a Classic 45. I'm guessing the Club 40 is less bassy........yay?

11. Moods

Moods Member

Yessir, you got it! Going for a lower volume blues machine with the LOVO C45 with the wimpy 20 watt Celestions and maybe a pair of 5881's for about 30 watts.

That sucker is real loud with the stock PT running 470v on the plates... especially with a 2X12 8 ohm load. I think 420v is more like it. Might even go 2X12 combo for the full Bluesbreaker effect. The C40 with Greg's closedback 2X12 really covers my rawkin' needs and also works fantastic with my cover band. No need to be redundant right? ;)

Lookin' forward to it!

<M

12. Moods

Moods Member

Probably not... I run my C40 with the bass on 2. I have typically set all amps with JTM 45 circuits on 2 or less over the years. It's a bass amp circuit (ie Bassman) :p

The impedance mismatch seems to exaggerate the bass and top end relative to the overall sound. It also makes the amp sound compressed and slightly mushy to me. The mids sound less defined and present. With an 8 ohm load everything balances better and the amp gives up some incredible crunch. The bass actually gets nice and tight set up this way.

<M

13. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Hey Moods, that C45 sounds like it's gonna be very cool. I would really like to know if you feel that the C-45 and your C-40 overlap too much soundwise, once you get it and live with it for a bit. What guitars are you typically playin' through the C40?

14. cocheese

I have been playing with my bass at 2 as well. If you turn it up, it is there! I am getting a lot of tone tweaking out of the mid and treble knobs. You can really tweak the overdriven tones with those two knobs. Oh, and I've been running Vol1 at 8-10 and Vol2 at 2-4. I can't wait to crank her up again tomorrow. :D

15. KLB

KLB Member

I think he was refering to a Club 40. The C45 and C40 have the same preamp and phase inverter setup. If anything, the C40 will be MORE bassy because it has more power supply filtration.

16. Moods

Moods Member

Hey TS

I'm hoping the C45 with an openback 2X12 combo and the C40 with closedback 2X12 will be different flavors. Based on the test drive I did with jkr's C45 they definitely have a different vibe.

I play the C40 with a couple Les Paul's (one with buckers and one with P90's) or a 335 in live situations and I am also using Fenders in the studio. Sounds equally great with buckers, P90's and single coils.

<M

KLB has it right above although my C40 has the same filtering as jkr's C45 except for the 16 uf on the board... mine has a 30 uf. 32 uf's in the power section.

17. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

props to KLB- his advice is awesome...and the Club 40 prototype from him is a phenomenal amp.

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Headroom 100 here. Purple with matching cab. Cab has Celestion Heritage G12M speakers.

I've had 2 Lead 55s and a 45. Loved the 55s and never bonded with the 45.

The HR100 is staying, huge cleans and amazing lead tones. A Hot Plate is a must. Just one click though. The Celestions are only 96db efficient.

19. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Finally got to gig the C40 on Saturday, had it at 1 o'clock with a 2X12 cab, sounded glorious!!

20. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

-Currently own a Classic 45.
    -Recently sold a Lead 55.
    -Want to own a Fillmore Classic.