Germino Amps - To Jump Channels Or Not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hamrhed1, Feb 14, 2006.

1. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

Which setup do you prefer for your Germino amp, jumpered channels or single input?

For a Classic 45?

For a Masonette?

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'm a real plexi freak, but I've never liked the tone of jumpering the channels. I'm not saying it wont be the right thing for you but it would be nice if it was on a switch so you could choose to combine the triodes or not.

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I do one better than that... get a ABY switch. You can choose low, high, or both!

I had the Masonette with the ABY... worked awesome. If I have to choose only one, however, I love that jumped sound. But do youself a favor and get the ABY... the Masonette is pretty versatile!

4. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

On the Masonette I would say no, at least in my expereince.
    I emailed Greg about this one cause it was kinda mushy, this was his response...

"Remember that the Masonette has a small O/T that saturates very quickly. Add to that the big low end from channel 2 and you could have a lot of compression happening. If you are using a "Y" cable and going into both top inputs you should automatically roll the Bass control down to about 2.
    I normally like the Masonette on about 8 for CH1 and put all tone controls at 5. The amp sounds very good with humbuckers that way. Adding in the second channel you would most likely need to bump up Treble and Presence to about 6 or 6 1/2 along with rolling Bass back to 2. Should be easy to voice the amp with the tone controls once you lower the Bass setting."

Personally I like input one on it's own, but everyone is different, I also play LP's with 11's tuned down a whole step (friggin singers :rolleyes: ), so that can contribute to the mush factor.

Some of the guys with bigger iron then the masonette may have differnt results.
    Call me in a week or so when my Club 40 arrives, in killer White I might add. ;)

5. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Germino Club 40: I like a fat clean tone with a little bit o' hair.

Y-cable into both low-gain inputs. Then balance the bright and dark channel volumes to taste ... about 11 o'clock on average. Yum!

Kiwi

6. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I use a Y cord with my Lead 55. If I plug into just one channel it's the bright channel. Sometimes it can get too fat and thick with the bass channel turned up too high.

7. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

The A/B/Y is a great idea, I haven't tried that with the Germinos.

I was under the impression that jumpered channels was the hot setup and that people generally preferred that sound. In talking to Greg the other day though, he mentioned that he doesn't like the jumpered sound as well and usually just plugs in to the high treble input.

8. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

got the Y cord going on a Club 40. Way nice blends possible...and if the volume is too much, Y into the two low inputs..

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Last month, both are jumpered. I also have a Y-Cable, but am digging the jumpered channels on the Lead 55 and on the Club 40.

And it looks a little something like this:

[​IMG]

10. bjm007

bjm007 Member

In my experience, the main reason to jump the channels on a "real" Marshall was born of the fact that in '69 they went to a 4,700pF bright cap on the treble volume control. This made for the 'ol "ice pick" tone on the treble channel, especially with a strat. Jumping the channels mainly tamed the brightness of the treble channel.

The Germino's are much warmer amps and in my opinion you don't have to warm them up any further by jumping them.

I've got two Germinos at the moment with two more 100 watters on the way.

IMO, you really don't need jumpers on most Germino's... Your Mileage May Vary...

For me, I'll use one or the other of the two channels just to keep the tone a little clearer and purer. Jumping them both just gets a little bit muddy for my taste... :rolleyes:

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I don't have a Germino, I play a Reinhardt, but I have some thoughts regarding 4 input amps in gerneral. I am a JTM45 type guy. I plug into the low inputs.
    With all of the 4 input amps that I have owned, I have found that jumpering channels kills alot of the subtlety that the brilliant channel has to offer. I typically plug into the low input of any amp anyway as I find that it is much more sensitive and can handle boxes better and with alot more variety in tone. I use my volume and tone knobs on the guitar alot.

After much searching, I have come to this setup.
    In a nutshell:
    I use a Strat-effects - Lehle a/b/y - a=brilliant channel/b=normal [darker] channel.
    I use the brillaint channel for the neck and middle tones as the thicker quality of the tone stays clean without getting muddy.
    I use the Y setting for bridge pickup settings as I can use the darker channel to thicken the tone up and warm up the attack considerably.
    I am really happy with the variety of timbres that I get this way.
    I find that I can also plug into the brilliant side, jumper out of that same side and go into a time based effect like a delay, then return to the other channel and it sounds great. I tend to like doing that much better than any effects loop that I have ever tried and I have used some very fine amps.
    I have found that using an a/b/y tends to keep the channels clearer and much more dynamic.
    I jumpering, I have found, the input tends to become more generalized and less distinct. Sure, it sounds bigger, but in my findings, the "bigger" sound is simply due to more volume mass, and that is not always a good thing.
    I tend to believe that alot of folks think that just a bit more volume and presence equate to bigger/better tone. I think it is just me, I love huge touch response and the subtleties that, after much searching, I have found.
    M.E.

12. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

On my Classic 45 I choose the brilliant channel. I did do a setup with the brilliant for just on the edge of crunch and then used a Lehle Dual to switch to the darker channel with a germanium treble boost on it. Now THAT is a cool A/B setup, since the treble boost into the darker channel gave some really thick lead tones that clean up sparkly and the brilliant channel is a dirty clean if you know what I mean.

chris

PS Didn't care for the channels bridged. Hard enough to get the bass as tight as I like on that amp and with bridging there was too much low end mush for me, even with bass on 2.

13. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, that sounds like great idea. I can't believe I've never thought of doing that.:jo

14. KLB

KLB Member

It depends on the guitar, effects, speaker system and volume.

My Germino Club 40 is in a 1x12 Bluesbreaker combo cab with an Avatar Hellatone V30 60w speaker. I usually play Strats with lower output pickups. My current fave is the EJ Strat. I don't get to fully crank 4-input 50w amps. I use various OD pedals -- a TIM, Zendrive, Eternity, Cornish G2, etc. The Club 40 is a platform for clean and overdriven tones, with the amp being used a no more than 6 on the Brite channel, or 4 on the Normal. I have an attenuator, but I prefer to not use it, keeping the amp clean and open.

I internally jumpered the channels on my Club 40. It is easy to do. Remove the wire on the circuit board from the Normal set of jacks that goes to the input on V1. Tape and anchor the unused wire. Connect a jumper from the empty Normal channel pin on V1 to the pin with the input wire from the Brite channel. Now both Brite channel inputs connect to both channels. I do not have or need a Brite cap on my Club 40. Also, I changed the .022mf coupling cap to .0022 from the Brite channel output to V2a, as on Super Leads, which rolls off a little more bass than the stock .022 cap. Therefore, between the low output pickups, playing volume, and Brite/Normal tone mix, I need to use both channels.

As for the High vs. Low gain input, I prefer to use the High gain input and control how hard it is hit by adjusting the final output from the FX chain. The input impedence is much lower with the Low gain input, which can result in treble rolloff when plugging a guitar straight into the amp. On a classic Marshall with the .0047mf Brite cap, this can be a good thing!! A buffered effect before the amp will prevent treble rolloff with the Low gain input.

Cheers,
    Ken

15. KLB

KLB Member

Your solution sounds cool.

FYI, these two C45 mods will improve bass:

Replace the 16+16mf power supply cap for the phase inverter and V2 with a 32+32mf. You can get F&T caps at a good price from Antique Electonics Supply, www.tubesandmore.com. Replace the final 16mf cap on the board for V1 with a 30mf/450v cap. AES has these, too. The extra power supply capacitance will tighten bass. (The Club 40 has this filter arrangement in the power supply.)

Change the coupling cap from the Brite channel to the V2a mixer resistors from .022mf to .0022mf. This will rolloff a little bass. Marshall Super Leads usually have the .0022mf cap.

With these changes you can keep the bass at 6 or higher, and blend the Brite and Normal channels without so much mush. You will still probably have the Brite channel volume set higher than the Normal.

Of course, with Greenbacks, especially in an open 2x12, there is only so much you can do to improve bass response.

Cheers,
    Ken

16. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

on the Club 40 and Classic 45 with humbucker guitar, I never found the need to jumper channels, just plug into the higher gain input on the bright channel, dial it up to about 1-2 oclock on the volume, EQ to taste......and WAIL! :D

17. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

I use a strat into a lead55 and I like Y-ing into the two top inputs. I balance the volumes on the two channels to get the tone I like and go from there. With my setup, I prefer the Y over the jumper, but with a humbucking guitar I wouldn't combine the channels at all.

My $0.02

Steve

18. drspencer

drspencer Member

What's the difference between jumping channels and using a Y-cord?
    Thanks

19. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

20. bigjoeblue

bigjoeblue Member

I don't know about Greg's new amps, but I have one of the old MojoTones he handwired, and a jumper between channels really opened up the sound of the amp. I wasn't sure you could even do it with my amp till I had someone look at it, and now I just love the fullness of the cleans with my Strat. I get constant compliments on my tone at gigs, so I'm gonna' keep it jumped. (I know it ain't me, it's gotta' be the amp)