Germino Classic 45 (JTM 45)...I never knew..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RichSZ, Oct 6, 2005.

1. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I never new how cool the JTM 45 circuit can actually be. I just acquired a Germino Classic 45 (thanks Evan) and the thing is killer...from clean to scream. I had a Marshall reissue a few years back but I never remember it sounding nearly as good.

It is one loud mutha!! I've been used to playing my FTR 37 in half power mode for so long, that I'm not used to a full 30 watts!

Anyway, back to the Classic 45. My R9 w/ Darkbursts really rips through this amp.

So far my favorite speaker choice is (2) Celestion Blues in my /13 cab. I've switched out and tried the G12H30 and the Weber 1230-55Hz and they all sound great, but the Blues are just a little more sweeter for sure.

I've also found the pedals that historically are more closely associated with Marshal sound awesome through this amp. I have the Zakk Wylde OD by MXR and the Keeley Java Boost. Simply fantastic.

I think the next purchase on my list will be a Weber Mass for my home practicing. Can't wait to jam the 45 at band practice tomorrow!

-Rich
    :dude

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Welcome to the Germino family, awsome amps, awesome man.

After speaking with Greg I bought a few Heritage G12M's, they sound fantastic and are inefficient, this is a good thing for a loud amp. You may want to consider trying these if the volume is a problem.
    They are the best speakers I have ever owned.

3. mude

mude Supporting Member

Glad you are diggin' it. It really is a tremendous amp. Over the last year, the Marshall JTM 45 tone and feel has become one of my favorites.

Evan.

4. mude

mude Supporting Member

As to the volume thing, this style amps seems to love some of my favorite overdrive pedals. Also, I love the cleans on these amps.

Evan.

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Congrats Rich!

C45 #008 here. I rocked out with the Germino and an R7 with Holmes today, so I know what you mean! I have the Germino 2x12 and although the RI Greenbacks (non-heritage) were fine, I'm loving the Scumback SA12H75 high power pair I have in there now. Open back suits this amp well too I think.

I finally tried the amp with EL34 today (after a re-bias) and that makes a big difference - tighter and faster lows but still nice and sweet when rolling off the guitar volume - a nice variation to have.

I have NOS preamp tubes (power tube and rectifier still stock) and this made a good deal of difference. If it's a keeper, then pop in some for yours too!

Chris

6. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

The C45 is an amazing amp- I've got a combo with the Heritage G12Ms, and they sound fantastic. The amp takes pedals great as you've mentioned, and isn't too loud with the inefficient speakers.

7. m1911

m1911 Member

Bigger....you have the Combo eh?
    That arrangement with the Heritage Greenbacks seems like the perfect Combo for about anything....but how big is it?....and do you haul it around?
    Thanks,
    Mark

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Oh yes, agree on the pedals too. I've had great results with various treble boosters (BSM HS-C, Java Boost, Beano), Klon, /13 Joyride, Sun Face to name a few.

If you like treble boosters and have an A/B box, you can get some great lead tones by using the treble booster thru the normal channel and getting clean and crunch from the treble channel with no pedals.

Chris

PS Agree on the loudness thing too. The Greenbacks are considerably less effeicient than the Blues (I've tried mine thru them) and the Scumbacks are just as easy on the db as the Greenies.

9. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

I have been playing mine with Naylor speakers and the tone is nothing short of amazing. Combined with a Naylor SC38 running through Greenbacks is twice as good!

But that's MY tone...you can't have it. :)

10. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Sangre has evil tone. His Naylor by itself has produced some seriously awesome soundclips.

11. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Glad you like it and welcome to the family:dude

Proud owner of Classic 45 head s/n 024 here, coupled with a Germino 2x12 cab loaded with a Greenback & a G12H and lovin it!
    Loudness is "just right"

Just acquired a Barber LTD and it is the sound I have been hearing in my head for years, tonal nirvana here
    :cool:

12. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Let me qualify my raving about the Germino just a bit. I also have given rave reviews to another fairly recent purchase, the /13 RSA 31. What I found out with the RSA 31 is that it's one of the best Vox tones out there....seriously. If Vox is your thing, you have to hear this amp through 2 Blues. But i also found out that while I like the Vox thing, it's almost as though the Vox tones are just a small niche of my playing. When rocking out, noodling, or jamming with the band, the two amps I own currently, the /13 FTR 37 and the Germino Classic 45 ARE the amps that fit exactly what I'm doing. I really have so many tonal options with these amps I'm pretty damn satisfied with my tone right now.

So it brings me to the point in my journey where (at least for the time being) I'm VERY satisfied with my guitars (R9 w/ Darkbursts and an EJ sig Strat), my pedals, and my amps (/13 FTR 37 & Germino C45).

I guess you could say I'm hunting for speakers now. I'll be trying a few to find that right match for the Germino. The Blues are so sweet, but I still want to give the 1230-55Hz and maybe a SB 75Hz a try.

Anyway, I'm much more psyched about the Germino than I was about the RSA 31, only because the Classic 45 is in my wheelhouse for the music I play.

I'm also finding the High Treble for cleans and the Normal channel for crunch is becoming very appealing to me!

-Rich

13. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I haul it around- it is a big combo though

28" W
    12" D
    22" H

but it sounds so good.

14. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2x12 combo (greenbacks for a 16 Ohm load), s/n 12 with Solen caps. I swapped out the KT66's for EL34's.

I love this amp! It's rubs my Classic Rock sweet spot! :) I use a smidge of attenuation with a Dr. Z Airbrake.......fits perfectly volumewise with the band.