Germino classic 45 or Mojave plexie45? And why.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DV52, Feb 2, 2012.

1. DV52

DV52 Member

There is alot of lot of love for Germino,not so much for Mojave.Is it because the Mojave has "power damping" and not deemed traditional?Too modern ?The clips on the Mojave website with Blues playing them sound great.All the folks here that have the Germino love them.Mentoneman seems to be one of the few that likes Mojave.I have read the article that talks about the 45 degrees of tone.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

My guess would be the Germino is preferred because it's a true "clone". Basically, from what I understand, you're getting an authentic replica. I have a Germino and love it. But, I'd have no issue owning a Mojave. They're great amps. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy every amp I like. ;)

3. DV52

DV52 Member

The clips that sangre azul posted of his 45 and strat sounded very good!

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

You can't buy a *better* plexi style amp than a Germino. There are a few really good builders out there that put out good stuff, but none are better than Germino. Reinhardt is another one of my favorites. If I were going to buy another amp tomorrow, it would real hard to pull me away from Reinhardt's website. Reeves is yet another that I like really well.

5. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I owned a Classic 45 but it's the only JTM45 type amp I have played, therefore I can not make a fair comparison. It was a work of art and sounded like it should. Another reason to get the CL45 is that Greg Germino's customer service is second to none!

6. moss

moss Member

Greg Germino backs everything he builds, proudly i might add.

7. big mike

big mike Moderator Staff Member

Not a lot of guys on this board play the mojave. Not sure why.
    Vic has a good rep.

My opinion, Greg's is more vintage LOOKING and more vintage in build (no added features) that appeals to the more traditionalist members this board seems to have.

I've played Greg's C45. Awesome amp. Its up to you if you want the added 'features' of the Mojave. I haven't played one, so I can't comment.

Reinhardt, Germino, Metro, Wallace...those are the cats doing it vintage accuarate. I think more folks want that vintage 'vibe' as it sends them back to their youth...or their hero's golden period.

Can't argue...I'd rather see a one of the 4 I mentioned on top of my 74 Marshall cab, because it would look more 'correct'.

Shallow...I know...

Edit: Just looked at the Mojave site...good looking amp. Def. going to stand on my point that it doesn't 'look' vintage. Cosmetics are an issue for folks

8. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

I've played through a Mojave Scorpion for a little over 5 years now and they are great sounding, and extremely well made, amplifiers. No vintage look here... Nope, not at all. Very cool and clean looking though. Road worthy as hell, built to last. The deal with Mojave is that they aren't as popular as Germino, Metro and Reinhardt so you may be able to pick one up used on the cheap. I love my Scorpion. Does clean, crunch all the way to brown. Really a great amplifier. Take a look at the Mojave site and just look at the build quality that they produce. Very impressive. My 2 c's...

9. Laplacian

Laplacian Member

haven't had both, but I've had 3 Mojave Plexi45's.

Bought 1 new, liked it so much I got another, the 2nd one had all NOS, Wow !! knocked my socks off. Loaded both with Mullards and GEC KT-66's.

The I picked up a Mojave P45 special edition (Radio Spares early '60's style, only 16 made) also with NOS. Slightly different, not better or worse.

I have many very nice amps ('67 Plexi, Old Hiwatts, Vox's, Fenders, Komets, Two Rocks, etc..). I have also tried other Mojaves. The Plexi 45 is the finest amp Mojave has made IMO, and it is on par with many amps worth $4K or more.

I would define it as a Hi Fidelity (in a good way, maybe even use the word "Improved") JTM-45. It has all the JTM-45 sound, but allows the true color of the tubes you use and the guitar to come through.

Other notes: Modern look (improved ventilation), power dampening does not work all that well IMO. Built like a Brick .......... highest quality parts.

For a straight vintage JTM-45 or any other "new" vintage Marshall, I would immediately go to Greg Germino (I'd love to own the whole Germino line for straight vintage Marshall tones),but for an "improved" IMO take on a JTM-45, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a Mojave. Just don't use the Power dampening.

They are so under-valued used, it's a crime. If you use crap tubes with them, they will sounds crappy, if you use good tubes with them they shine better than a "classic" design.

IMO, YMMV and all that.

10. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I bought a second hand Mojave Plexi45 off a guy here on the forum who was good enough to ship it to AUS, since most don't want the hassle of shipping outside CONUS.

First off I should mention that Vic has still helped me out on occasion with tube questions and the like, even though I haven't bought it new. I got him to send me some mullards for V1 and V2 and am going to try them.

I agree with Laplacian that it has a hifi sound. Build quality is superb and yes Vic has updated the look to ensure that the amp will never overheat and is tough enough to survive the rigors of the road.

I think the clips on Vic's site I've had a hard time replicating. Perhaps when I get an attenuator and can really crank it I can get it too better resemble those sounds.

I love the fact that it is a very touch responsive amp that really transmits the nuances of your playing.

Never played a Germino, so can't comment there.

Mojave's have gone down in price from $2795 to $1995. Worth every cent I feel.

11. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I've always been very impressed with the Mojave clips I've heard and I vividly remember when the Peacemaker clips hit the scene, absolutely NAILING the early EVH "brown sound". They are GREAT sounding amps!

But, I agree with others that the reason they're probably not as popular as Germinos (as one example) is because when folks venture into this "vintagey" neck of the woods at all, going with a so-called "improved" JTM45 that also looks nothing like the original is almost like buying an inaccurate clone. Why go there at all if you're not going to shoot for authenticity? Why not just go for one of the many Marshall-inspired channel switchers that builders like Bogner and Landry do so well?

It doesn't mean the Mojave version isn't a fantastic amp in its own right. It just means the product comes too close to one market without nailing it and doesn't carve out enough of its own unique market to separate it out as a different product.

12. newking70

newking70 Member

this.

13. IndyRaider

IndyRaider Member

I had the Mojave Plexi 45, and I believe it is the one that tucky owns now. I traded it to a memeber here for a Kendrick Gusher head and cab. He sold it to a guy in Australia if I remember right. I really have no idea what an authentic JTM45 sounds like as I've never played through one. I can say the Mojave is a great amp. I turned it up loud and played it hard quite often, it always sounded great playing at home or with a band. It cleaned up nicely when rolling back the volume control on the guitar, and rocked hard with everything at full throttle. I only tried one pedal with it, an old red stripe Marshall guvnor, and it worked really well with that amp. In the end I let it go because I found I was just not a fan of the flubby bottom end of those type of amps. Also, the power dampening thing didn't really sound that great on that amp, but that really wasn't a big deal for me. If you don't mind the cosmetics, the Mojave is a great amp .

14. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Cool. Hey Indy nice to meet one of my amps former owners. The guys name was Will who was super good to me. Think his TGP moniker is WILLIEKENDRICK or something like that.

I agree about the loose bottom end in this amp. I think it is common to all JTM45's, although Big Mike might correct me on that. I think the amp as a whole, whichever maker it comes from lends itself to a certain style and certainly puts some limitations on what can sound good and what you can and can't play. And amps that came after the JTM45 certainly progressed for a reason in response to players demands.

If the OP really likes the JTM45 sound then I don't think he could go wrong with either maker, and I think from the clips I've seen of the Germino's they will sound largely similar.

15. DV52

DV52 Member

Thanks for all of the imput...Mike I don't think you were being shallow at all,you want that "look" on top of your cab.I think the look of the Germino is great,and believe they are fantastic.Mainly I was curious as to why Mojave was not mentioned as much.My interest came about in an odd way.I stopped in a music store and they had a 1974x combo,so I gave it test drive.I really liked the warm rich tone. It just did not have enough cleanish tone. So I started looking for its bigger brother as it were.Of course all you need to know about the cool look M1911 has shown his pics many times.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  16. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I spent some time yesterday snooping around the Mojave site. I think they're great looking amps. The thing I don't like are the clips. They're masked with effects and one of them has the guy playing through two models at the same time. As a customer, I want to hear an accurate representation of what I'm thinking of buying. It's fine, and welcome, to have other clips that demonstrate the amp's capabilities/possibilities (with effects, etc...), but the first thing I want to hear is a guitar plugged straight into the amp.

17. big mike

big mike Moderator Staff Member

Dont get me wrong I actually give Vic respect for going out on a limb and updating cosmetics I just think thats why they don't get the love on this board.
    Reinhardt's sentinel too for that matter.

18. IndyRaider

IndyRaider Member

Hey tucky...Indeed that was the guy WILLIEKENDRICK. He was a good guy to deal with. Trading amps is always kind of a leap of faith, but it all went very well. I bought that amp new from Mojave, quite a few years ago. I'm glad it has a good home, because it is a great sounding amp. The cleans on it are about the best I have ever heard, just really good stuff. I played it through a couple of Hartke 4x12 cabs. A straight with Celestion 70/80's and the angle with two Weber silver bells and two blue dogs. It was a good combination.
    I thought about modding that head to tighten up the bottom end on it, but then i thought, why try to make it in to something else. Just get an amp that does what I want that I don't have to mod.
    I did like the Mojave cosmetics, the small box sitting on a full stack was the bomb I thought . Maybe a scorpion is closer to what I like. Vic may be getting a phone call . :)

19. DV52

DV52 Member

I Think they look good as well.The post about Billy Gibbons has a rig rundown ,he has a Scorpion in his setup.

20. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest