Germino Classic 45 vs. Club 40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jw71, Feb 27, 2006.

1. jw71

jw71 Member

What is the difference? I know the website says a different OT, with the Club 40's being a Drake replica optimized for EL-34's. What would be the sound differences if I used EL-34's in a Classic 45? Are there any other differences besides the OT that make a huge difference?

I am debating buying one or the other after I sell my Lead 55 (too powerful to play here in clubs and sound good), but I am not sure which one. The soundclips are OK, but I can never translate them over to how "I" sound or want the amp to sound like.

I know there are plenty of Germino lovers here, including me, so any comparative opinions on the two amps?

2. Roe

Roe Member

search earlier posts

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've owned both at the same time.....and I was running EL34's in the C45. They are very similar sounding amps, both do the clean-to-crunch thing very well and sound great with pedals. I found the C40 to be just a bit brighter (even after removing the capacitor on the bright vol control) and to have just a bit more gain. The C45 (with EL34s) is a hair warmer and smoother, the C40 is a bit brighter and edgier. Also the C40 has an Ohms selector switch (4/8/16 Ohms) for the speaker out, the C45 does not. Both are fantastic amps!!

4. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Riffmeister summed it up nicely. Just to add to that, the Club 40 will have a little more gain, but the Classic 45 will respond to your volume knob (clean to dirt) with even more sensitivity. With no bright cap in them and both using EL34s, they do sound similar (with the exception of what' already been said). Both are great amps.

5. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

If you like the tone, keep your Lead 55 and get an attenuator and/or a pedal to drive it a bit. Try ClearSonic panels around the amp as well.

I have a Masonette and a Classic 45. The 45 isn't much louder than the Masonette and I bet the Lead 55 isn't much louder than the 45. And even the Masonette is friggin loud. The Masonette and the 45 both sound fantastic and I use an attenuator and/or pedals (Fulldrive II/Super Duper) to push both when I want lower volume tones. These pedals work very well and don't color the tone much if you keep the pedal gain/params under control. I would expect them to work well for the Lead 55 as well.

I can't believe I just advocated not buying a new amp....damn!

Having said that, you can't go wrong with any Germino purchase.

jpastras likes this.
  6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I agree with the previous post. The Club 40 or C45 are not going to be that much quieter than your Lead 55. I have a Lead 55 myself, which I love and can't see parting with, ever. I've tried attenuators in the past with no luck, but I'm currently researching the Ultimate Attenuator, Axetrak, and Demeter Iso boxes.

jpastras likes this.
  7. riffmeister

It's on the bright side with the 250 pF capacitor on ther bright volume control.....definitely much less bright (and nicer sounding, IMO) w/o the capacitor. And even with the capacitor, it is definitely less bright than something like a Matchless DC30.

8. KLB

KLB Member

My vote goes for the Club 40. It has the lower voltage power transformer. You can run 6V6 at the proper voltages, even better if you use a 5U4GB or 5Y3GT (just 390v) instead of the 5AR4. With a solid state rectifier plug you can get about 450v on the plates of EL-34, 430v or less with a 5AR4. The new Tung-Sol and Shuguang/TAD 6L6-WGC sound excellent in the C40, too. Between rectifer and tube choice, there is more available range with the Club 40 toward the lower volume use you describe.

As for the Club 40 having more gain or being brighter than the C45, I don't understand that. The C40 preamp circuit is identical to the Classic 45, and because of the lower voltage power transformer, is running at a lower voltage, which means if anything it is a bit browner and quicker to breakup. Maybe that's what you mean by more gain? Perhaps the perceived difference is whether a Brite cap is present. I don't like/need brite caps, so there isn't one in mine.

I like being able to have properly matched impedences with 4 to 16 ohm cabs.

I recently posted some details about how to optimize the Club 40 for lower volume use with 6V6:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=133868

9. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

All I know is that Club 40 rocks. :)

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I find the Lead 55 to be definately louder than the Club 40 at very similar settings; but use a Hot Plate and/or Clearsonic amp panels to keep it real and not kill everyone.

FWIW, I love both.

11. 57special

57special Member

So is the Club 40 similar in volume to the C 45? I thought the C45 circuit was only supposed to put out about 35 watts, and the others about 50? I do know that the clark MTC 45 I recently had was a good deal quieter than a 50 watt head.

12. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

the club 40 is a bit louder than the classic 45, really between the lead 55 and the classic 45. the classic 45 is voiced a bit differently than the club 40 so that could play into the perception of volume as well...the club 40 is very very flexible- you dont have to do everything KLB suggests to get a good tone with 6V6s, but his post is bang on. I left mine stock, biased to 17mA and set the amp impedance selector accordingly and it sounds pretty good already. but the flexibility is there and you cant beat that at all. volume control, killer tones, and some dead on hendrix/trower tones at mid volume, and ABB tones at higher volumes with humbuckers. Pretty flexible amp. I am buying a Ghia (Dr Z) to get another 18-25 watt voxy combo and with my ampeg vt40 running clean all of the bases are covered. I need a 3 banger switcher though...anyway I highly recommend the club 40 for flexibility, but also the classic 45 is the next Germino on my list...both are better amps than 97% of anything out there, both from a build perspective and a tone perspective.

1960lp likes this.
  13. Roe

Roe Member

can the high power club 40 and the lead55s take jj 6v6s?

14. riffmeister

Club 40 yes.

not sure about the L55.....but I doubt it.....I think the plate voltages are too high, and since it's a SS recto, you can't easily lower the voltages.

15. riffmeister

Did you round up or round down to get the 97% figure??

:D

16. sws1

sws1 Member

Club 40 is almost the same as C45. Bigger OT. Lower voltages. Slightly different filtering, and treble bypass cap on Vol.

And as like many old Marshalls, they are all very similar, but different as well.

17. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

rounded down...it was 97.2%..he he..

18. KLB

KLB Member

Greg makes a Club 40 with the higher voltage transformer.
    The plate voltage will be around 475 or higher with a 5AR4.
    I don't think it would be a good idea to run 6V6 in this version, at least with the 5AR4. A 5U4GB maybe, and the 5Y3 will be overstressed, so don't use it.

19. riffmeister

Ah.....I didn't know that. Thanks for clarifying my confusement. :)

20. Roe

Roe Member

thanks for the suggestion.
    But can't the jj 6v6s stand 525volts?