Germino Classic 45 vs. Metropoulos SuperPlex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by narad, Jun 23, 2019.

1. narad

narad Member

Yup, another one of these threads! :D Joking a bit -- but I read all the others and found them very informative. However, these were mostly pre-2016, and pre-SuperPlex, and comparing with George's kits. I think both builders are stellar, their builds look amazing, so not looking to rehash that sort of fight there.

In short, I'm looking for a great jtm45. I've been considering both of these, and basically tried to pull the trigger on a couple of the SuperPlexes that popped up for sale lately, but the possible arrangements in getting something like that from the US to Tokyo where I live can be a big deal. With import, sometimes I'm paying 25-30% the price of the amp just to get it here. So while I'd try-by-buy in the US, here I need to be pretty cautious.

As far as I understand, the Super is modeled after George's jtm 45/100, and would be most directly comparable with Greg's Monterey model. I'm not so familiar with 45/100 sound, but I find clips of the "45" 45 to be more honkey and musical. I was curious if "that's that", I like the 45 more, and the answer is obvious, or if people disagreed? Wrote George to see if you can pull 2 tubes on it, or if the half-power switch put it tonally in the true 45 ballpark, but no reply.

Everything else is in the SuperPlex favor for me: more gain (it seems), greater flexibility, better master, fantastic aesthetics, but the clips haven't really won me over on it. On the Germino side, I'm not sure all the tone shaping options on the SuperPlex amount to much (on the Metro you really hear a number of different amps all well represented), the Germino seems to nail the one thing it's supposed to, and it's a good deal less expensive.

So my marshall-ish plan might be:

True jtm 45: Germino Classic 45
    EL34 plexi era: Metroplex
    2204/Jubilee: Wizard MCII

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  2. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

I would say you can’t go wrong with the three you’ve mentioned.

My first Germino was the Classic 45. Loved it and sold my Dr Z Antidote immediately after I got it. However, not long after I bought my Lead55, I let my Classic 45 go. The Lead55 was the sound I’d been searching for since I was an early teenager. Always knew I wanted a 50 watt Marshall.....was always trying to reproduce it with other amps, but finally got it.

I owned a Metro-Plex briefly a year or so ago. It was amazing and got all those tones. Love George and his work, but for me, it just had too many bells & whistles. That may be a big bonus for some folks, but I like the simple things. And don’t need effect loops. I wish he still made the ones that put him on the map. Maybe one day!

I would definitely spring for the Master Volume if you go Germino. It sounds better than any attenuator I tried.

Those are just my thoughts. And like I said, you can’t go wrong with the choices you listed.

Good luck with your search and decisions.....and keep us updated!

narad likes this.
  3. Plexi68

Plexi68 Supporting Member

I don’t think you can go wrong with either, both builders are highly regarded for their Marshall clones. I own a Metroplex and for me all the bells and whistles put it over the top.

4. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

@velvetgeorge -- there's a question in the first post about pulling tubes on a SuperPlex.

5. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Both amazing but if you just want a jtm45 the super plexi is overkill

Alchemist XP likes this.
  6. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

That would be a very nice trio of amps to have in your collection ... can't go wrong with any or all of them. There is considerable tonal overlap, obviously but sometimes it's the little unique quirks that each one has that makes it all fun.

narad and wreckmark like this.
  7. 71strat

71strat Member

Id get the Suerplex. KT66s.
    You've heard the JTM45/100. You just don't realize it.

All of Claptons early Cream was JTM45/100.

ALL of early Hendrix is JTM45/100

1966 Model #7026/JTM45/100 was Jimis favorite amp, and was always the first amp he plugged into in his chain.
    He retired it in 68 from touring because he was afraid it would get damaged, or stolen. He continued to record extensively with it.
    When he died it was left to Eric Barrett, who sold it to a local shop, and was then sold to Rich Dickenson, and became known as the Dickenson amp. This was also the amp Marshall copied for a LTD ED.
    It still had the original KT66s in it when bought, and the only mod was to the tone stack.

ValveStorm
    www.valvestorm.com

What Id actually do is have Valvestorm build me a JTM45/100, with Metropoulos Spec... Just like the Original Metros.

OR have them build a Metro Spec JTM45 Head with NOS Mustards/PEC, Metro 0 Loss FX Loop x Master Volume. Real KT66s ect

Id have them use NOS Mustards, PEC Pots. All the best components they can get.

Master Volume, and Metro 0 Loss FX Loop.

They will build this amp for less than the Germino Monterey.
    I believe the kit is around $2000, and around $350-$400 to build it. NOT Including Tubes.
    $1200 for 4 NOS KT66s, and $300 for NOS I61s/I63 Mullard ECC83s.
    Still comes in around the same price at the Superplex.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    wntbtw likes this.
  8. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I never played a Metropoulos
    but I do have a Germino Classic 45 and a Lead 35. I bought the C45 first. For me, it is the perfect amp for a Stratocaster. I then bought the Lead 35 and every one of my guitars, Gibsons and Fenders, sound tremendous through that. More of an overdriven tone than the “chewier” C45. I’d be hard pressed to choose only one.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    wreckmark likes this.
  9. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Get a Ceriatone JTM45 replica. For the money and the cost associated with getting it to Japan you’ll have an amp that is within 5% of the Germino, and Nik at Ceriatone can put a rich mod PPIMV on it, is ffects loop, whatever you want.

Whether you want to pay the extra money to get that last little 5% of magic that the Germino might have is up to you, but for a basic JTM45 I would go the Ceriatone.

10. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

I would prefer the personality of a jtm45 over the 45/100, which fills a stage better but is SS rectified. Hendrix played a 45/100, so there is that. But George does the master volume/preamp thing excellently. Tough call.

11. wreckmark

Do you want a heirloom quality amp made in the USA...or a decent amp made with cheaper Chinese parts with less resale value?

No brainer for me, but the alternative might suit some better.

12. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

What are the cheap Chinese parts that are used in Ceriatone's?

USMarine75 and BearBryan like this.
  13. pete12string

Germino does a pretty good master volume too. Both of mine have them. :aok

14. pete12string

Yeah, I wouldn’t call any of the parts that Ceriatone uses cheap. I don’t own one but have only heard great things about the quality of those amps. On the other hand, all of the components used by Germino are certainly well known brands and are thought of as being top quality. I can personally say that inside a Germino chassis looks like a work of art.
    I think any of the amps being considered will be a great choice.
    Another plexi clone to consider is Rockett Retro.

wntbtw, USMarine75 and BearBryan like this.
  15. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Ceriatone makes great stuff. Step outside of the xenophobic dogma box and breath the fresh air.

Zado, wntbtw and USMarine75 like this.
  16. Creighton

Creighton Supporting Member

Being that a Classic 45 can be purchased used for about $1,275, that may be a good option for you. It is a great amp.

On a side note, I recently put Tung Sol 5881's in my Germino C40 and it has never sounded better.

17. wreckmark

I recall seeing “economy” Chinese filter caps in some gut shots. You won’t see those in a Germino, Metro or Wallace. They may have changed and that’s great.
    I figured I’d get dogged by CeriaFans. That that’s ok too... Just sharing my thoughts to the OP....
    And....he ask about 3 specific builders. I was not the one that brought up Ceriatone.

A better xenophobic question, do you want your amp built in the USA, Britain or Malaysia?

AGAIN, I have friends from every race, creed & continent, however, as far as guitar amps, I know what I want...and own;
    buy what makes you happy-

Gallery likes this.
  18. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Are you guaranteeing me that an amp made in the US or Britain will be better just because of the patch of dirt it was built on? No other considerations? Amps made on top of Malaysian soil are automatically inferior?

wntbtw likes this.
  19. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

lol, where?

20. narad

narad Member

Whoa, whoa, guys. No need. Actually I tried to buy a klon clone from Nik and he can only ship to the credit card/paypal address, and none of those are here in Tokyo for me (or changeable without a whole lot of hassle). So Ceriatone's out regardless (well, besides buying used from the US or something).

But yea, as much as I think Nik provides a solid offering in that niche, the fact he kind of runs a business and has a very diverse line of products knocks him down a bit IMO. Nothing wrong by any means, but Greg/George are both first-class Marshall nerds. Even in just where I put my money, would prefer to throw it at those two just because I love guys that get completely absorbed in their interests that way, that I never really got that vibe from Nik.

Cool - thanks. I didn't realize any of the Cream tones were jtm45/100 -- will have to dig into that a bit.

wreckmark likes this.