1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Germino Classic 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fifthstone, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I am now the proud owner of a Germino Classic 45. It's the actual amp on Germino's new website, red Tolex, script logo, Celestion Greenbacks. Gorgeous, and looks even better in person.

I'm waiting a month or so to do a full review and record some audio clips, but I've spent a good 16 hours or so playing through this amp now and am FLOORED! Beautiful glassy cleans, nice classic rock crunch, three-dimensional notes just bloom from this bad boy, and takes my pedals very well. Just got finished pounding a Strat and Fulltone Fulldrive II through this amp and got some excellent Hendrix-type stuff happening.

This amp is built like nothing I've ever seen before. Stellar.

2. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Greg G. is the man.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Congrats. Your experience is almost the same as mine with the Club 40. Once I played through it for about 30 minutes, well, I *knew* all I needed to about a lot of things. :D

4. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Fifthstone, Welcome to the Classic 45 club, I couldn't agree more with your initial review. I have had mine or a year now and I am still in the "Honeymoon" phase with this amp. Just wait till you load some NOS tubes in that bad boy....It just gets better !!

Smoke'

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Thanks, guys. I do feel like I've joined some special club. I'll post audio clips in a month or so. Cheers.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Great amp! I had a 2x12 for almost a year.....sounded great! I now have a Club 40, and I'm luvin' it! G.G. makes great sounding rock amps!

7. sws1

sws1 Member

And I have the one riffmeister now longer has. Great amp.

8. saurudi

saurudi Member

Hi,

Are this amps very noisy at high gain settings?
    just curious cause i´m thinking to pull the trigger on one.

Thanks,

Mario

9. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

They don't have "high gain settings", AFAIK.

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Saurudi, as Softpaw says, these aren't really high gain amps. It does give warm classic rock overdrive and has amazing clean sounds, but not high gain. No master volume on this amp. I've taken it up to 9 so far and it's really quiet, even with my Strat. Also, I've plugged in some pedals to get high gain sound and the note definition is unreal. Also quiet with the pedals I've tried (Fulltone OCD and Fulldrive II).

11. sws1

sws1 Member

At max, I'd characterize more than just overdrive. It gets fairly distorted to my ears. Listen to the clips.

12. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

You turned it up to 9 at home and survived?

How loud are these things? Only things I currently own are a Cowtipper and an Aiken Invader. I'm very interested...

13. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

From what I've heard they're quite loud. Too much so for the average pub gig...

14. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Actually, you have four inputs: bright, normal, bright attenuated and normal attenuated. I use the attenuated and play anywhere from 6 - 9 (but usually eight). It's still loud, but not so loud that I'm worried about knocking picture frames off the wall. I can't play that loud when the wife's home, but other than that I'm pretty comfortable playing that loud (no immediate neighbors up here). I think playing through the attenuated inputs I'd be ok playing in a small and definitely a medium size room with a loud drummer. Through the non-attenuated inputs, it's LOUD! It's been great having these attenuated inputs. Really let's me hear the amp and the power tubes.

15. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

If it's as loud as my Invader, it's loud! I have to keep my Aiken on -12dB or VAR, and I live in the country.

16. sws1

sws1 Member

To me, the invader sounded louder because of all the high-end it offers.

I play a 2x12 Classic 45 at home (greenbacks) and loud volumes, and while it's loud, it's not excessively loud. Of course, no one is home.

It's not 50watt plexi loud. Having 2 greenbacks helps alot. They are much less loud.

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

All of the JTM 45 clones I have played have not been near as loud as the Reinhardt 36 watter I used to own. The JTM's weren't that loud in my opinion. For shear horsepower and loudness argument, the typical 50 watt plexi will bury a JTM 45.

18. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

The C45 is a wonderful amp for sure!
    I have the combo version (ser.n. 03) and I don't think it is too loud for regular club gigs, but of course it depends on what kind of music you play and how loud is your drummer. I play a strat and I set the Vol. knob of the amp at 7-8.
    If the venue is very small I simply turn the amp against the wall (back of speakers facing the audience) and it works great.

19. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

How would the C45 work as a head with a 1x12 cab containing an inefficient speaker?

20. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Not sure, but I believe the reissue Greenbacks ARE inefficient speakers, which is why I guess the amp has useable / manageable volume. Generally, all else being equal, the fewer the number of speakers (e.g. speaker surface), the less perceived output, so I would think it wouldn't sound as loud.