Germino classic 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trogs, Jul 19, 2006.

1. trogs

trogs Member

Hello folks,

Finally got around to registering on this forum. Lots of intelligent speak here! I recently checked out Greg Germino's web site and was immediatly drawn towards the classic 45. Especially the video clip where he's playing the duet. That tone just floored me...

Can anyone speak on one of these?

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Great amp! I had a combo with two Greenbacks.

3. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

Headroom-100 KILLER!
    Got it a few weeks ago

4. slotools

slotools Member

I LOVED my classic 45 with kt66's I sold it and got a combo amp, if I ever go head and cab, I would not give it a second thought to buy another.

5. gsozz

gsozz Member

I own 4 of his amps and # 5 is on order..........be careful ...Germino amps are very addictive.:roll :D

6. EXP

EXP Member

youre in Houston? can i come try one of your Germinos? :D :drool

7. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Outstanding JTM 45 type amp. Match it with greenbacks and a guitar with humbuckers, and you'll be tone heaven. Keep in mind it does have to be turned up to sing, but it loves pedals which takes care of great tone at low volumes. Also, Greg is amazing to deal with.

8. Mike

Mike Member

Greg is awesome. He must be very busy, meeting demand and supporting a pretty broad amp line. But when he's on the phone with you he gives you plenty of time and attention so that you're totally comfortable with his answers. One of the best in the biz. The 45 Classic is a great amp. I had a combo. 5 stars!

Mike

9. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'd LOVE a 45 Classic combo, but it's a BIG amp. Not very portable for a NYC dweller... oh well!! :-(

10. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

You cant go wrong with a Germino ! My Classic 45 will be with me till I pass on, to me it has that perfect tone.

Smoke'

11. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I have the C45 head and a Germino 2x12 run open back. It really is a great amp and especially satisfying if you're in to using your guitar volume to make a crunchy sound clean up as it does that REALLY nicely. The cleans are sparkly and lively and very addictive and the crunch is wonderful too.

Last weekend I got together with some friends for a Euro Tone Fest is Holland and after having used someĀ“other amps a bit more for a while, I re-discovered the C45 in a big way. Sat well in a 2 guitar mix and was just right volume wise. Sounded killer with my Goldtop with Holmes HBs.

BTW - the cab now has Scumback SA12H75 in it and those speakers are a definite improvement on the RI greenbacks it came with to my ear.

Negatives? The bass on the C45 is not exactly tight, so you might end up with some "strange" settings. Just got back from 2 hours of rehearsal time with it this morning and had the bass all the way off. Still sounds big and full just a bit strange to not be able to have the bass up aat all.

If you like to use pedals I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 45 too.

Chris

12. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I have a C45 combo with the Heritage G12Ms, that just smokes. Beautiful 3D chimy cleans, excellent crunch, and singing leads. It isn't too loud especially if you use a pedal in front, and sits in well in a mix. It is a big hoss though. I've played about every model Greg makes(except the Fillmore and the now discontinued Masonette), and I've been pleased with all of them.

13. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've got the 212 combo version of the Classic 45 and it's an excellent amp. It's got (IMO of course) a better clean tone than the Lead 55 I had before. The overdriven tone of my Classic 45 isn't as gainy and aggressive as the Lead 55. At 35 watts or so through Greenbacks the Classic 45 is the perfect stage volume for me. It also takes pedals as well as anything I've ever tried and better than most.

14. trogs

trogs Member

Thanks for all the input...

OK; so now I'm jonesing even more. Is the combo pretty heavy? I can deal with big.

15. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

My 212 with the Greenbacks weighs 70 lb. It's not the easiest amp to lug around but still not the heaviest I've owned. I traded to get mine, but if I were buying new I'd probably go with the separate head and 212 open back cab. That would make it easier to move around.

16. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Just curious, on that clip who's tone floored you, Jason(left) or Greg? I ask because they were playing different amps and I'm pretty sure Greg was using the 55LV.

Anyway, I have the 55LV and it is awesome!

17. trogs

trogs Member

It was definitly Greg's tone; although Jason's tone was pretty cool to.
    I really liked the way his Strat sounded through the 45; very thick for single coils...

18. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have a Masonette and Club 40, can't say enough good things about Greg and his amps.

19. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

More love for Germino. I have the Classic 45 combo with Greenbacks and it's a stunning amp. The cleans are immense and three-dimensional. Not a high gain amp, but any means, but neither was the Classic 45. It does take pedals very well. To me, the JTM 45 sound is the very coolest of vintage Marshall tone.

The combo is pretty big as others have said, but it's worth hauling around to gigs where you can ride the power tubes (mine are EL34's btw). What more can I say? I'm keeping this one for life.

20. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I own/have owned three of Greg's amps... a Lead 55, a Masonette, and a Classic 45. All stellar amps IMO... but the Classic 45 just does it for me!

Great cleans at lower volumes and real crunchy when turned up! Also sounds great with pedals IMO. The Classic 45 is really about a 30-35 watt amp so I find it's volume and headroom to be just about perfect.

I would definitely go with a head and seperate cab as the combo is very big and cumbersome to move around (I owned a 2x12 combo for a short time and now have a head/cab).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009