Germino Classic 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by centsmin, Apr 9, 2008.

1. centsmin

centsmin Member

Great Amp, Period.

Harmonics, responsivess, warmth, power, sustain, thick syrupy leads, and great clean tones too!

It has spoiled pedals for me. There is no drive pedal that I want to hear in front of it (execpt my AM Sunface). Everytime I use one, I realize that the amp sounds and feels so much better.

The challenge becomes negotiating those gigs that are too small to crank. No attenuator for me. Maybe I'll jut switch to less effecient Heritage 20 watters and go strictly with a clean boost (which I can tollerate).

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That was my only knock on those amps. Just way too loud and The builder just would not bend and put a Master in it.

GREAT amps though. They were all the rage here for a while and you don't see them much anymore.

His 25 Watt 6v6 amp was pretty popular but also very loud. I'd like to see him come up with a really nice Low Powered platform again.

3. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Try the 20 watters-they work great with my Lead 55, big difference in volume..

4. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I've been reading about these amps here on TGP, and they sound perfect for me except for the volume.

Does anyone make an amp like this, with the same sound, but with a Master Volume so I could use it at reasonable levels?

5. centsmin

centsmin Member

I actually have no criticisms of Greg’s amps. I’ve owned several master volume amps over the past 16 years and never really liked any of them. To me, a master volume’d, attenuated, or distortion pedal’d amp just never sounds & reacts like cranking the amp. Even little amps cranked don’t sound like big amps cranked because of the difference in transformers.

For me, it’s just the nature of the beast. I wouldn’t want a PPIMV on my C45.

6. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I had C45 #008 for a couple of years (a couple of TGP'ers have owned the amp since then) and whilst I agree that the amp's overdrive is godly, there are some good matches to get a nice overdriven tone at small gig volumes. Since I didn't like G12M Greenbacks with the C45 (not enough bass definition) and used H style Scumbacks (great match) which are a bit louder, I know that you won't always be able to get the volume past 01:30 (which I think is where the magic starts to happen) in a small venue.

The C45 liked my ProAnalog Power Driver a lot (or check out Throbak ODB, /13 Joyride for a similar effect). It also worked great with an Okko Diablo (clips of that amp are at the Okko website), I agree a Germ fuzz sounds super too (though nothing like the amp's OD, and you might like a Klon with it too - I did!

Good luck!
    Chris

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I gigged my C45 2x12 combo with Greenbacks on several occasions, it always worked well, but I used the amp at edge of breakup with an OD pedal (Fulldrive) for more saturated sounds. One of the gigs was in a small room. I turned the amp facing backwards and it sounded amazingly good! (no attenuator)

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yep. This was my second Choice : http://www.fultonwebbamps.com/

I guess somethings happen for a reason. He actually gave the customer what he wanted and Not himself.

9. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

No kidding-I have a Masonette in a 2x12 combo, and she's a loud one. Sounds great, though.

Lee

10. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

I'd be tempted to look for a Rockytop 45 with MV and/or Power Scaling.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Very Cool amp indeed. :dude

He's got to realize that people dig a Low Powered Amp as well as the 55w behemoths. Why doesn't he make another cool low powered option?

12. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

You have to find a builder who's vision coincides with what you are looking for, rather than expecting a builder to go against what their own vision might be. There are a lot of builders of low wattage amps, MV amps, Power Scaling, attenuated, etc.... so if that's what you want, you should go in that direction. Greg isn't interested in making those sorts of amps, because those aren't the sounds he's trying to get, and that's certainly well within his rights. He's not trying to reach every market niche- he's wanting to build amps that he'd actually want to play.

13. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I love my Custom 45. There's no denying it can be loud and you need a good sized space to let it stretch its legs (kind of like expecting a race horse to run in a pony pen). I may be trying this out as a 1x12 instead of 2x12 and see how that affects the loudness.

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Sounds like a really great amp ...
    However, no ones mentioned the CLEAN headroom ...
    Can it stay really clean at high volumes or does it break up early ..?

15. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

With a Strat it has plenty of clean headroom. I can't plug in this moment, but I think it stays pretty clean half-way up the volume, and at that point it's plenty loud.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It may be sacrelige but I use a Weber Mass attenuator, and even when it is set to a good deal of attenuation, I really like the sound of it.

Just thought to mention to the OP too, I'm with you, except the ONE pedal I found out I did love in front of it...Cot50 (one knob model).
    It just shines on that amp and allows me to remove or intrude much less with the attenuator. It isn't logical to me, because the Cot50 is voicing a bit like a Marshall so I would have thought it was too much, but it makes the C45 sound MORE Marshally to me.

17. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

It's a got a pretty good amount of headroom, but it is only 35-40w, so it's not Fender Twin Reverb headroom. With a Strat it'll stay pretty clean till about 6 or 7(if you're not really digging in), and with humbuckers it'll start breaking up pretty good there, and at 8 really starts singing.

18. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

my friend Issaku has a Classic 45 and a Lead 55 and I have a Ceriatone JTM-45 so we did a shoot-out this weekend. There a couple of variables we didnt get eliminated but overall the Classic 45 sounded smoother and rounder than the Ceriatone. In person all three amps sounded amazing but the Ceriatone was noticeably brighter and louder than the Germino. Check out my site www.tonesnobs.com to see some pictures and hear some sound samples we took. The surprising thing is we tried a mesa tremoverb through the gerimino cab and it sounded pretty damn good.

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

fair enough. I have a ton of respect for the man. But when spending Hard earned $$$$ I want MY vision realized...........not his. :D

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No sacrilege ! If it sounds good it sounds good! I can't stand the opinion that Master Volume amps and amps with a Variac don't sound good. It's just not True.Not if its designed right. The best Master Volume amp I ever played was a Bruno Lead man 60. At Whisper bedroom volumes the Tube distortion was amazing. Why did I ever sell that!!!!? [​IMG]