Germino Club 40 in da house! (pics+clips!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Myron Stratis, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

So this is my last purchase: A Germino Club 40!

I was looking for a dead-on early Marshall JTM tone and after some research I've concluded to Germino.

My Club 40 is slightly modded: It has a higher voltage power transformer (like the one in the Lead55) and a selectable tube/ss rectifier (It's the first selector in front) Actually Greg Germino did that nice mod, I've only asked for a ss plug and a tube rectifier and he did it switchable, yay! :)

The amp performs amazingly! It is DEFINITELY not a bedroom amp, we are talking about CRAZY volume here and no master volume! Of course, my THD Hot Plate comes handy! It's tone is HUGE and creamy, fat and searing and it takes pedals in front like a dream. The cleans are AMAZING too!!!! This is because of the JTM style preamp, which is rounder and sweeter than the early-plexi preamps (like the one in the L55 series) which are more aggresive and high-middy.

It is very enjoying to have such a classic and classy tone under your fingers, what a great amp!

Here is a photo: (you can also see my Flexi,Uber and ancient Valvestate combo!lol)

[​IMG]

and a couple of clips:

Clean: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000154609_000030434.mp3

Gainy: http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000154609_000030435.mp3

I've used my Suhr Classic-->RMC Pic wah-->Mojo Vibe-->Maxon SD9-->Germino-->THD Hotplate-->THD 2x12 (v30)-->SM57

Happy Myron here!:cool:

2. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Hey you got it...good for you! My quicktime is not working so I couldn't hear the clips, but I'm sure they rock.

3. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I couldn't get the clips to work, either.

4. clunk

clunk Member

Awsome. Truly does nail that classic Marshall tone. I'd like to hear what it would sound like with a LP too. Glad you enjoy it.

Clunk

5. Myron Stratis

Thanks bro! Well that is weird: I use Internet Explorer and Media Player withour ny problems. Maybe try "save target as" and then open?

6. Myron Stratis

Strange... Please try "save target as" first!

7. Myron Stratis

Thanks! My Les Paul is for setup, I will prepare something soon!

8. scottl

scottl Member

Amazing tone Myron. Very sparkly with no harshness. Fantastic tasty playing too!

Post more please!

Scott

9. Myron Stratis

Thanks Scott, it always means an awful lot coming from you bro! I think that the Club 40's cleans are unbelievable! This is an EL34 Marshall-flavored head and it sparkles sooooooo nice without being harsh!!!! I am in love! :D

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to Club Germino, Myron ... ! Your amp sounds similar to the one Greg built for me.

For onlookers: I'd wanted a JTM50 type amp, and Greg built me one based on the Club 40, with the flat EQ, loud cleans, and the bigger output transformer.

I got tubes or SS plug-in for the rectifier socket ... but that switch idea that Myron and Greg worked out sounds like a great idea!

Kudos and props to Greg Germino, who can and will build the Marshall-based amp you want! Play it loud, Myron.

= K

11. vgm

vgm Member

Why did you choose a larger output transformer?

12. clunk

clunk Member

EL 34's have always been my personal preference in Marshall amps. At least the ones I've owned. Nice even ordered harmonics. Not as much tonal range as other tubes, but in a marshall they just seem to sound the best to my ear.

Clunk

13. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

BTW, those soundclips don't work in Firefox (my browser), but do work in IE.

They sound great, too! Very nice cleans...

14. Marcello

Marcello Member

awesome Myron as always !

congrats on the new amp and post more dude :D

15. Myron Stratis

Hey bro! Greg told me about your amp! I was not sure about that: I wanted the loud cleans (higher voltage power transformer) and the extra tightness of the ss rectifier. Greg told me that he already build one amp like that (yours) and that it performs amazing! :)

The rectifier switch was a surprise from Greg: I didn't knew a thing!:) I saw three switches and said "What?" I've even posted here askng about it but after Greg emailed me I've deleted the post :)

I am very very happy with my new amp and Graig Germino is a GREAT guy!:cool:

16. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

Hi Myron,
    Glad to hear that you are so pleased with the amp. The clips sound fantastic!!!! Great job!!!!
    Enjoy! :dude

17. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I'm really enjoying my Classic 45 2x12 combo. Greg builds a great-sounding amp, no question! :dude

18. Myron Stratis

Just because I needed more clean headroom!

EDIT: Sorry, what I have is a higher voltage power transformer (just like the ones in the L55 series)

19. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Myron that clean clip was Spectacular. Easily the best I have heard in a long while.:AOK Great Job!!!!

20. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Congrats Myron! I've had a few Germino amps over the past year and I'm really happy with the Classic 45. I really liked the Club 40 A LOT but the C45 just suits my style a little better. Does pop, rawk and blues really well. The C40 sounds more Marshally IMO... which is probably a good thing for most people looking for this type of amp.

Greg is easy to work with and about the koolest builder out there. My C45 had a coupla tweaks too. I couldn't be any happier with the amp or service. Tops in the Marshall department. Best Marshall style amp I have owned including my vintage JTM's.

Enjoy the heck out of that bad boy!... and leave the hot plate home.:p

<M