Germino Club 40 - Magical!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tch2112, Apr 22, 2005.

1. tch2112

tch2112 Member

I have a buzz to share with anyone interested about how much I love my new Germino Club 40. This is just my opionion and the great thing about Leon's recent thread is true - there are a lot of great tones (many close to each other) to choose from these days.

This amp is very warm and has what for me is the nicest balance I have ever heard. It just sounds wonderful clean. It has awesone crunch and Greg's description of it getting classic Allman Brothers type tone is for real. I have not tried it with any O/D pedals yet.

Adjusting volume and tone with the guitar knobs (I am playing this with a modded PRS McCarty w/tonepros, Lollar Imperials, and a bunch of awesome tone saving things Eric Miller hooked me up with) really, really works - "oh yes, it works!"

Everytime I plug in I am smiling ear to ear often - It is also pretty loud, but not really to loud if you know what I mean.

So far I have played it through a Germino 2x12 with G12H's and a 1x12 Z cab with a G12H too. Both are nice, the open back Z is real nice for cleans at lower volume - it has this "fullness to it" like the Classic 45 but to my ear warmer.

I also put some NOS Mullard 12AX7's in her which provided more dyamics and a bit more "sparklyness". I am also going to have a matched set of Mullard EL-34's coming soon with more 12AX7's to try. I am going to line up a Holland, Amperex and Mullard in PI.

The stock tubes sound really nice too and the smile is there with those. Greg put a Mullard RI in the 1st pre-amp pos and that was nice too.

I read a bit of the forum after work and started playing for what should have been 10 minutes before going out for a bit - it turned into an hour and this post.

I recently sold a LOVO55 to get this and it was tough as the LOVO was sweet, but for me this has what I feel is my tone. I will for sure play, keep, buy and sell more amps, but this one is staying with me.

Wow!

Tom

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

What made you choose this over the LOVO just out of curiousity? I have a LOVO coming and thought it would make my dreams come true, but so many players are chosing the Club 40 over the LOVO... is it simply the volume issue, or do you prefer the flatter response to the upper mid emphasis the LOVO has as well?

-TJK

3. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I dig my C40 as much as any amp I have owned/played. That amp just does it for me when it comes to classic Marshall tones. I prefer the JTM front end with flatter response and I'm guessing you know what I am talking about. I really dug the LoVo 55 too... almost purchased one. Nothing bad about that amp at all. The C40 just fits my ear better. It's fuller with a friendly and warm clean tone and plenty of tough old school Marshall attitude on tap when you push it. The cleans are the best I have heard from a Marshall. Honestly, I can't see much improvement... that amp does exactly what it's suppose to do and I happen to dig it. I'm hoping my C45 will be as good or better. I can't imagine that happening but who knows.

Greg is the coolest builder out there and his amps are definitely equally cool. Congrats on the C40. Enjoy!!!

<M

4. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

5. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU! LOVE THIS AMP!

6. tch2112

tch2112 Member

I am in heaven. It just works for what I like.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Have you had a chance to compare the C40 and C45?

8. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Next week! I am diggin' the C40 more and more every day. Not sure it's possible to knock this one off. On Greg's recommendation I added a 250pf cap to volume 1 and it's even better now. I can't imagine a more flexible Marshall. Looking forward to the comparison but the C45 has to come up with some serious goods. ;)

You should definitely consider the 250pf cap on your C45.

<M

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Glad you're still diggin the C40.

My C45 has solen caps, and I recently switched from KT66's to EL34's, which was a big improvement for my ears. THis switch has made me wonder more and more about the C40......hehehe.....

10. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Hey Moods:

What difference do you notice with the 250pf cap put in on your C40? How would that affect a Classic 45?

Yours is coming next week! That's great. I was just getting some free time coming up to do the a/b we talk'd about, but it sounds like you'll have your own to a/b.

Let me know about the 250pf cap change.

Thanks.

11. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Hey John

It's just a standard bright cap. The 250 pf cap rolls off the bass slightly at lower volume settings. Reallys helps to clarify the treble response when you back down on your guitar volume and adds a cool little Voxy-like jangle. It's a subtle difference but definitely noticable. Great for cleans. It's not really as apparent on fulltilt leads... which didn't need any help at all IMO. Sounds significantly less compressed when you back off on your guitar. Very open and spacious. The cap becomes less effective the higher you push the amp volume. At 7 or 8 the cap no longer has any effect.

A must IMO. I can add it for you if you'd like. It takes about 2 minutes and can be removed if you don't like it in the same amount of time.

<M

12. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Hey Mike:

I would like to try that. I'll give you a buzz and we can discuss it.

Thanks!

John

13. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I'll be around Tuesday and Thursday.

<M