Germino Club 40 owners, sound off

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr.Hanky, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I know Scott has one, I was just wondering who else on this board has one too?

Does it stank?

2. stratofied

stratofied Member

#27 here. Great amp! Best Plexi tone ever IMO.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

4. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

002 in purple, got into these early, they rock!

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

It is a RAWKIN' amp!!

6. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

#15. I dig it, for it's cleans and the ways it takes pedals. I find my Classic 45 sounds smoother and more old school Marshall when cranked full throttle. They are both great heads. If I don't use pedals and just go from clean to scream with my volume, the Classic 45 is the way to go. When I want to use pedals and and play with pristine cleans, the Club 40 is the way to go.

7. Roe

Roe Member

interesting jkr! I'll have to save up money for both germinos

8. m1911

m1911 Member

Which of these seem better for Dickey/Duane Tones? I would have thought the Club 40 would have been smoother, or creamier if you will.
    Also, I assume the Classic 45 would handle the Beano Tones better.
    Do you notice a big difference between the two?
    Thanks,
    Mark

9. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Got one too, absolutely love it, tone for decades! :)

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Early one (Feb-05), with the custom 50w transformer that is standard now, plus some other tweaks I asked for. It's a JTM50, not really the true Plexi.

It is a musical instrument in its own right.

Kiwi

11. flash1

flash1 Member

#11 here, and here it will stay!

12. riffmeister

distilled down to the essence......the C40 is brighter/edgy-er, the C45 is darker/warmer. plugging into the normal channel on the C40 gives approximately the same sounds & response as plugging into the bright channel on the C45.

13. riffmeister

It has some great stank to it.

Are you thinking of 'moving up' from the Masonette to the C40?

14. KLB

KLB Member

Club 40 prototype, with the following tweaks:

1.) .02mfd Phase inverter caps (one for each "leg"). Stock is .1mfd, which have more bass. The .02mfd respond a tad quicker, and have more than enough bass, even in the 1x12 combo setup that I use.

2.) No brite cap on the Brite channel volume control.

Wonderful amp. I sold the Masonette and LV55 after getting it.

That said, the Heritage Colonial is also worth an audition.

Cheers,
    Ken

15. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

I got #9 and have been nothing but impressed by it. I have really been liking the tube swapping options too.

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Riff; I am toying with the idea of a C40 but will probably move my Route 66 if I go with a C40, and I LOVE that 66 but the truth is that I have not been using it with the band at all lately. It is always the Club Royale or the Masonette.

17. m3g

m3g Member

#006 should be arriving in a few days!

18. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

M1911:

To Answer your question, the Classic 45 is both smoother and creamier and does the Beano better. I've run it with KT 66 and EL34s. It loves them both in it. My experience has been different from Riffmeister's in the fact that I don't think the Normal input of the Club 40 is like the bright imput of Classic 45 at all. If you take the bright cap out of both amps, they are way more similar. I can actually get them to match tones pretty closely by simply plugging into each amps bright channel and bumping up the presence and treble a bit on the Classic (and I mean just two numbers on the dial). Of course, if one has a bright cap and across the channel and the other doesn't, than you're going to hear a big difference.

For Allman tones (ala Fillmore), I'd go with a Club 40. For AC/DC crunch I'd go with the Classic 45. Ironically, my Classic 45 stays tighter cranked and less grainy than than the Club 40. Also, since the Club 40 has more gain on front end, it doesn't clean up with the volume nearly as well as the Classic 45. Despite using a hotplate on either amp, I don't usually gig with my amps cranked since I need the sonic versatility of pedals. For that reason alone, the Club 40's extra high end gives the pedals a little better definition and ends up getting a litte more use.

They are both great amps. In summation, I like the way the Club 40 sounds at lower and medium volumes (it compresses and sustains more at low volumes). I like the way the Classic sounds and feels at louder volumes when you get the volume knob up (it's punchier and smoother sounding when pushed into distortion).

19. KLB

KLB Member

I don't think the Club 40 has any more gain than the Classic 45. The preamp circuits are essentially the same (brite cap may be different).

The difference is the Club 40 runs at lower voltages (browner) and the EL-34 takes less grid signal to reach saturation than the KT-66. This is probably what you like about the feel at lower volumes.

If you sub a Solid State rectifier for the 5AR4 and don't bias the EL-34 to hot, it will respond more like a C45.

In my C40, I put .02mfd caps on each "leg" of my phase inverter, replacing the .1mfd caps which are larger than necessary for EL-34 tubes. It improved the responsiveness at higher volumes. Still more than enough bass.

20. riffmeister

Wow, my two amps are not like that at all! (both are s/n 12) The C45 I have has Solen tin foil caps and log treb/mid controls which were added after the amp was built (by Greg). And I haven't removed the volume control capacitor on either amp. My C40 is quite a bit more bright sounding than the C45, and the C40 seems to have a bit more gain (at roughly equivalent volumes), too.