Germino Club 40: Tight and punchy or soft and mellow?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Myron Stratis, May 4, 2005.

1. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I am very interested in the Club 40! With a clean tone and some pedals in front will it be punchy and tight or it is very soft and squishy sounding? Maby the Lead 55 series are better for tight and punchy tones?

2. Marcello

Marcello Member

Myron, man, it's all in the fingers ya know :D

3. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I know (damn!:D ) What I had in mind is when I am playing open crunch chords an uncompressed tight tone. Will the Club 40 bite or sounds mellow and squishy?

4. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

Straight Lead 55:D

5. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Hi Carl! :) I thought about that, Graig Germino adviced my that for a pedal setup Club 40 is better, the JMP-style preamp has a higher clean headroom. What you have now is a 100-watter with a JMP preamp, right? What about a JMP preamp with a full 50 watt output? I am pretty sure that I would dig the 'sag' of the Club 40 for leads, what about high-gain rhythm?

6. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

You mentioned tight and punchy, that's why I said the Lead 55.

I got the Classic 45 front end and Superbass values.

7. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

I know... I am confused! I would order a Lead 55 normally but I do not know if the headroom of the amp allows me to have a loud clean tone (for using even delay for some sessions)! Do you think that Graig will make me a JMP preamp into a plexi-style 50 watt output? And what are these Superbass values? What do they make to amp tone-wise? Thanks Carl!:)

8. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

Loud and clean- 100 watts. End of story. If that's what you want, get a 100 watter. That's why they call it the
    "Headroom"-100:D

Decide on what front end you like. You like tight agressive punchy that will come with the familiar Marshall high-mid spike? That would be a normal Headroom-100.
    or, a more flatter response ? (Classic 45 front end)

I think you want a 100. Just a matter of deciding which front end you prefer.

9. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

100 watts? OMG!!!:D I think I will go for the pedal-friendly JMP front end. Can you tell me some classic recorded JMP tones?

10. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

Myron, believe me, the Classic 45 (JTM-45) front end is extremely pedal friendly.....moreso, IMO, because of the flatter frequency response. You're not dealing with that hi-mid factor.
    Whatever pedal I plug into my amp, becomes part of the amp.

Classic 45- Jimi early stuff, Cream
    Superlead- Led Zep-Song Remains the Same type tone...rawer more aggressive.

11. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I get both tones out of my Club 40. At lower volumes it is soft but when you juice it up or put pedals in front of it, it gets nice and toothy. I also find that the EQ on the amp is voiced so well that you can really get lots of tones out of it. I've had Marshall style amps in the past that were really one trick ponies. The Club 40 is quite tuneable using only the EQ and volume controls. Sometimes I just plug into the treble channel, other times when I want more low end, I plug into both channels.

If you're using pedals, it just depends on the pedals I guess. With the front end on the Club 40, you're really going to have a blast with your pedals. The thing just eats 'em up! My Analogman Sun Face and Pro Analog Supa Quack both sound fantastic through the Club 40!

Another thing to consider with this amp is the fact that you can change out the preamp tubes to achieve different tones. Using my Tele with the stock TAD in V1 is my favorite so far, but Mullards, Amperex, and my other tubes sound very nice too. The TAD is higher gain than any of my other tubes and I like the nice edge that it has. When I'm in a different mood, I just pop in a different tube; it's that easy.

12. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Thanks Carl! Your knowledge is really a big help for me my friend~!:)

13. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Great info, thanks!

14. KLB

KLB Member

Get a Club 40. It is a pretty loud amp with a stout pair of EL34.
    If you want it even tighter, have Greg use a dual 50mf cap for the first two power supply sections (instead of stock dual 32mf). Also, have him use a solid state rectifier plug. This will increase plate volts to around 450 and get close to the L55 projection without sacrificing the warmth and versatility of the Club 40 preamp.

IMO, the output transformer sounds a little better in the C40, too.

Cheers,
    Ken

15. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Thanks Ken! The output transformer sounds better in the C40 than what?

16. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Greg built me a Club 40 with a JMP50 front end for a lot of balanced cleans, then a 50w transformer for a Plexi style output section. It's a new Heyboer repro that's a dead-nuts Drake copy.

I have used a 5V4 rectifier for some sag, a GZ34 for a stiffer feel, and then a SS rectifier plug-in for even more headroom and a very quick attack.

Enormously flexible amp.

Kiwi

17. dookie

dookie Member

Myron,

Haven't read all the posts here but if you are considering a pedal, I highly recommend the Menatone Kar Krash... The most open sounding, amp like, transparent, non compressed distortion pedal on the market today IMHO... It's modeled after the Komet 60 amp... It's amazing... I'm GASsing for one...

Other than that, have you tried the Masonette?? 25 watts... Killer killer amp... Next to the Classic 45, it's my fave Germino... I've played the head and the 1X12 combo... The combo was killer and pretty loud... Takes well to pedals also...

18. Richards

Richards Member

Ela re Malaka ti kaves??

19. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

What's really amazing is the guy is looking for an amp with headroom, and you recommend the Germino with the least amount of headroom. Beyond that you recommend a pedal to turn his amp into a fake Komet:confused: :confused: :confused:

20. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

??? :confused: :D