Germino Club 40-Tube & SS Rectified

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by JiMB, Jul 26, 2013.

1. JiMB

JiMB Member

Demonstrating the 2 different rectifier settings on this amp, NOS Jan/Phillips 5AR4 Tube and SS rectifier.
    Sounds like a little more sauce on the notes with the tube and tightens up with the ss. See what you think, it all sounds good to me.

'02 Gibson R8 Les Paul w/Electric City Pickups RD59's
    '07 Gibson R4 Les Paul
    '09 Germino Club 40
    Scumback hinged-back 2x12 cab with Celestion Creamback 65 watt speakers

SM57
    Reverb from Pro Tools

Eskimo_Joe likes this.
  2. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Yep. I agree with your asessment. Some words I use to describe the difference in sound and feel are 'spongy' and/or 'squishy'. The tube rec tone typically sounds and feels a bit more spongy. I typically hear and feel the difference more in the low E string.
    On another note, I'm really digging the way the creambacks sound with the Germino. You have a good, solid right-hand pick attack also. Did it come naturally or do you have to work at it? How long have you been playing guitar, if you don't mind my asking?

Cheers, Jim!

3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

4. JiMB

JiMB Member

Yep, spongy. Thanks for watching, DICKIE and yes, I'm constantly working on my right hand and left hand for that matter. Basically, trying to play relaxed. It did take work to get what I was hearing on records and cassettes, (when I was learning) and convey that on my guitar. I developed that mainly from gigging with 100 watt SL's with no master or dirt pedals, (dimed while using a variac) set between 85-90 volts. I had to be precise and attack it a little harder to get the dirt I wanted. I've been playing for 38yrs, long time or maybe not long enough. I still feel like the kid in my basement from years ago.
    Thanks jkr.
    From doing this vid, I agree with you about the tube rec sound. I've been using it in ss mode since my old SL's (mentioned above) were ss rectified. I like the squishy feel I'm hearing in this vid better than the ss sounds.
    Thank you JoeB63.

5. wedewer

wedewer Member

I liked all the tones a usual Jim, but that tone you had going at the very end with the SS rectifier and the chugging chords is the tone that rock and roll dreams are made of. Man o' man.

6. spm

spm Member

Great demo! Sounds good!

7. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Caught it on youtube...man I love your playing Jim. Always stellar tones as well.

8. JiMB

JiMB Member

Thanks wedewer, good to hear from you!
    Thank you spm!
    Hi Mike, Thanx. Nice tones in this rig!

9. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

Great playing Jim.

10. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Very cool. Thanks for sharing, Jim. The reason I asked is because I've had to work very hard at elements of right-hand technique. It's still not where I'd like it to be, even after @30 years of playing.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Great clip Jim (as always!)...I can hear more of a difference the harder the amp is being pushed that said both sound good!

Since your playing itself has been brought up I will say that your finger vibrato is just killer!

12. jetydosa

jetydosa Member

Sounds fantastic, great playing as well! Some people on TGP do get "tone" :) I especially like the tone on the last segment of the clip. You can tell the tube is a little spongier but its not hugely dramatic. Both are kickin'.

13. JiMB

JiMB Member

Thank you waggclan.
    No problem. Hard work is never done.
    Hi wingwalker, thanx!
    It is more noticable the harder the amp is pushed liked you said. It probably would be even more noticable if I'd been cranking it for a few hours, the rec tubes sag the hotter they get. I remember doing three sets with a Super Reverb, by the 3rd set that amp was saggy/squishy.
    Thanks jetydosa, glad you liked it.