Germino Club 40 - which speakers are you using in your cab? (Thanks in advance!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Eskimo_Joe, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

Hello fellow Club 40 lovers,

I was wondering what speakers you are using with your Club 40? If you would, please include some details about the type of tone your getting, and the type of guitar you're playing! Thanks!

Currently, I have 2 G12H's in my cab.

[​IMG]

I like the way they sound, but I played a Club 40 today that has G12M's and it sounded great too. This has piqued my curiosity. Thanks again!

2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I have heritage g12m in my cab but I dont care for them pushed too hard.. I love them at lower volumes though.. they compress quite a bit and are good for volume control. I have some scumbacks m75's on the way and at the moment I have my Celestions loaded in a marshall 4x12 with some scumback m55s so I have lots o options.. I want to try the m55's alone just for the heck of it.. I am close to dimed usually with a les paul and a little strat here and there.. If you turn the treble off and dime your mids and presence your club 40 will change into a fire breathing monster.

3. Eskimo_Joe

Hi Bo! Thanks for your reply! You must have read my mind, because all the speakers you mentioned are the ones I want to know more about.

What's the difference supposed to be between the m75's and the m55's?

If you end up wanting to sell you g12m's, let me know!

4. Eskimo_Joe

5. m1911

m1911 Member

I would seriously consider trying Tone Tubbies.
    Mark

6. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

One of each-Heritage M and H-:drool

7. Eskimo_Joe

What model, or is there only one model?

8. m1911

m1911 Member

I have purchased ALL Alnico Hemp Cones...in 10" & 12".
    I always buy the original "H1" in 12 inchers and "H1E" for 10 inchers.

I have also heard good things about the Ceramic Cones as well.

Here is some stuff from their site:
    http://www.tonetubby.com/speaker.htm
    http://www.tonetubby.com/faq.htm

Are there different versions of the Hempcone? Yes, we have now evolved (fine tuned) to three different 12" Hempcones:H1 Original Hempcone. H1E Our original Hempcone with an Enzyme for extended highs. H1EDD Same as the H1E but "dipped" for even more highs, while maintaining the fullness and smoothness of our original Hempcones. H1E is now our standard Hempcone in all our speakers.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our other 2 - 12" Hempcones are available.
    [/FONT]

What's the deference between the Alnico and Ceramic Tone Tubby? The Alnico is a bit warmer and smoother where the Ceramic is a bit brighter, with more of an edge and more clean headroom.

9. Eskimo_Joe

Thanks for the info, I'll check 'em out!

10. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

the 75 is like a standard greenback with the 75hz (lead) cone where the 55 has the bass cone.. the 55's still have highs but the instead of the lows crunching out it has a bit more thump

11. davess23

davess23 Member

I play my Club 40 though a 2-12 Z Best with a pair of G12M Heritage in it. I'd basically agree with most of what Bo Faulkner reported about how they sound. Since I don't play at extremely high volume most of the time I'm not planning on changing them anytime soon...they sound really great for the majority of what I do. Very Hendrixy with a Strat at 4-5, and the LP at 6 or more is pretty crunchy.

12. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

in my open backed cabs- english greenback reissues, i didnt like the heritage G12Ms in an open backed cab; in closed back 4x12s one set of G12M heritage 20 watters and in another 4x12 a quad of english greenbacks. I also use a Dr Z 4x10 with his 10 inch speakers and once the cab breaks in it is absolutely killer for blues with a Club 40. The Z's were the only 10 inchers I could find that held together when running a Club 40 flat out and riding the guitar volume.

13. m1911

m1911 Member

Dave, Nice set-up eh!
    I have loaded a couple of Z-Best Cabinets here with Tone Tubbies, but have wondered how GreenBacks sound through one.

Also, How well do you like your Club-40 and did you try other models before you bought it?...Classic-45, Lead 55LV, etc?

One last thing, why are you using a Z-Best and not a Germino Cabinet?
    Maybe you already had it and found it to be a great set-up?
    The reason I ask is I thought about a Classic-45 and/or Club-40 but didn't want to get into a bunch of other Cabs and so-on.
    I see you are from MarbleHead....I'm near Portsmouth.
    Thanks and take care.
    Mark

14. m1911

m1911 Member

Helloo dewman...
    I have a couple of Dr.Z 4x10 Cabinets here and wondered if your Club-40 fits on top, or over-hangs, or do you have to set it somewhere else and plug-in?
    For what it's worth, I've loaded those Cabinets with Tone Tubby Alnico 10" Hemp Cones and LOVE them!
    Thanks,
    Mark

15. tenbender

tenbender Supporting Member

When I called Greg to discuss my choice of his amps he recommended the Heritage G12-65s. I'm sure that the cabinet has a lot to do with the sound, but I find them to be pretty bassy and boomy. I gigged with my Club 40 and this 2-12 cab and once I brought the amp up to stage level it sounded incredible. I am thinking of trying some GreenBacks or another lower wattage speaker.

16. dewman

It fits on top of the Dr. Z 4x10. Its a killer cab for blues with a Club 40. I got the tip to try a 4x10 with Marshall 50 watter non MV amps from reading tonequest. Its a good thing. I tried it with several cabs and speakers, but the Z's were the best at hanging with the wattage and not flubbing out (compared to jensen reissues and a Matchless 4x10 with celestion G1035Ls.

17. Eskimo_Joe

18. dewman

tried the Club 40 with the Z 4x10 cab Friday night- sounded great! Perfect blues styled rig with an ES335...