Germino dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tedwoods, May 22, 2005.

1. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

After a recent short buying-selling spree,I realised I ended up with no EL 34's amps.

So,I'm now considering of selling my Massonette to get either a LV55 or a C40.
    Trouble is, I love the Masonette so much,it hurts just thinking about selling it.
    And I'm also afraid I won't be able to re-create its distinctive flavor with the other Germinos.

So,what do you guys think?

Should I do it?Will the EL34 Germino amps "include" the Masonnete tones or should I just forget about it?

Please feel free to elaborate...

Ted

2. m1911

m1911 Member

Keep the Massonette AND buy the Club 40.....
    Would be an awesome combination I think!

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Gosh, I HATE when that happens!

:p

Rule #1: If you love a piece of gear, DON'T sell it!

And if you add a 2nd Germino, I think the preamp section of the LV55 (more upper mid emphasis, more gain) is more similar to the Masonette than the C40 (flatter EQ, less gain).

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

Ted,

If you're getting the tones you want, then why do you "need" an EL34 amp? Although the Masonette is 6V6, it is very much Marshally EL34 like voice.

B

5. KLB

KLB Member

I've owned all three amps you mention, and still have the LV55 and C40.

You can easily setup the LV55 or C40 to use 6V6 when desired.
    IMO, either with 6V6 sound better than the Masonette, with less compression and a bit more headroom and bandwidth.

Of the two, the C40 would be my choice due to a slighty better sounding OT under a heavy load with EL34, plus it has a less stiff power supply. If you want more punch, use a solid state rectifier plug. You can use a NOS 5Y3GT with 6V6 in the C40 to get the plate volts well below 400, and bias the 6V6 hot for that old tweed tone. The LV55 has too much first filter capacitance (50mf) to use the 5Y3.

Have fun,
    Ken

6. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I've played all the above many times. The Masonette compresses differently (more and quicker) than the other two. If the Masonette is your perfect gigging volume amp, keep it and buy a C40 due to the different front end. If you just play at home and it's not so much a volume issue for gig purposes, checkout the C40.

7. HHB

HHB Member

email Germino, the guy is super nice and will explain exactly what the differences are

8. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

I agree with Ken (KLB)... the C40 will do both. My C40 with 6V6's sounds significantly better than my Masonette did and I really liked the Masonette. I play the C40 with 6V6's 60%-70% of the time. It's slightly louder than the Masonette, with better headroom and less compression. The overall tone and voice are more to my liking. The C40 reacts to pedals better too. I sold my Masonette without hesitation.

The C40 set up with 6V6 only requires a re-bias and drop the impendance selector one notch. Ex: 16 ohm speaker load with 6V6's would be set on 8 ohms to achieve the correct impedance match. It's that simple. I matched a pair of 6V6's and EL34's so I didn't have to change the bias. I take both sets of tubes to a gig/session and decide what needs to go in there. Takes 30 seconds to make the change. It's like have two amps in one. I leave the back panel off the amp all the time.

Good luck Ted!

<M

9. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

That's just what I wanted to hear!And I trust your ears!

Thanks to everyone for your replies.I really appreciate it!

Ted

10. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

I would heartily recommend emailing Master Germino also about your desires. I've talked with him about reproducing a particular tone (ended up being an Ali-faced Marshall) and he described precisely what he would do to get it with a Lead 55 (slightly different component values and putting in a transformer from one of his other amps). He KNOWs Marshalls.

11. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Thanks Gearhead,

I'll do as advised.

Ted

12. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

ya know..dilemma would be a good name for an amp
    introducing the new "Germino Dilemma" its so good you want know which amp to buy after playing this

13. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Yeah!

Or it could be like a two channel one:

1.Flat EQ style-shared cathode

2.Mid emphasis one-split cathode

Anyway,if it's Germino it's bound to be good!

Ted