Germino Headroom 100 VS. Dr.Z Maz 18 212 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gregory49, Mar 14, 2008.

1. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I'm gettin one within the next month or so, I'm just wondering if some owners or people who have tried either of them to get some opinions to figure out which to get first. I play Hendrix and Blues Rock styles.. as well as classic rock. I plan on playing the Germino through a 212, which speakers would you recomend... oh and I like Fuzz, Vibe, octave.. the normal hendrix style effects pedals.

I am well aware they're completely different so don't even bother go there...

thanks for your help

2. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Are you gonna be playing gigs or at home primarily? They're both fantastic amps, but the HR100 is pretty powerful amp if you're not gonna be playing out with it. Additionally, unless you're using EV(or some other pretty high wattage capacity speakers), the HR100 is gonna be destroying a 2x12.

3. gregory49

gregory49 Member

mainly gigging use is what i want it for.

Are the EV12L reissues bad? because I find it really hard to find the old ones.

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

A 100 watt Marshall type head with EV speakers? I'm leaving town before all the walls fall down.

5. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Don't know anything about the Germino, but have have owned a Maz 18 NR head since 2002 and love it. It's one of the best pedal amps out there and I never had any headroom issues, even at huge outdoor festivals. On the other hand, I might be a little concerned about the 100W Germino, especially w/o a master volume. Might be tough to get a chewy, organic distortion tone with pedals until it's cranked too loud for most venues. Even with a master and low wattage, I always struggle with getting the Maz 18 loud enough to hit its sweet spot.

6. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I haven't played either of these but I'm getting rid of my last 100 watter very soon and replacing it with an 18-22 watter. I play in loud rock bands and the most powerful thing I'm keeping is a 50 watt Mesa Rectoverb head that can rip your head off at 100 yards. I also have a 30 watt Alpha & Omega David (again, very loud with good headroom), and a Savage Macht 12x (still very loud for it's size). An 18-22 watt amp should fit well and will probably be more than loud enough for most rock gigs that I do. I'll never buy anything over 50 watts, and probably, nothing over 30 watts ever again!

7. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I'm still young folks , I'm sure the H100 is perfect :) ... Well I went to greg and out of his amps thats the one he recomended. I won't mind getting a hotplate because a very reliable source told me its one of the few amps that worked really well with it. I just like a touch of gurth from the amp itself no overdrive or anything. I use Strats.

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    I would only use the HR 100 if I wanted a clean sound w/no breakup, because you would have to play Madison square garden to get tht to the breakup point.

I've actually been considering getting an HR 100 to A/B as a clean amp

To the OP;

Get a Germino Club 40 - perfect medium between an 18W nd a higher watt amp

9. gregory49

gregory49 Member

what about using a hotplate with it?

10. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Attenuators = Fizz
    If you are going to try to get a Germino to break up, you would have to attenuate to the point of fizz

Unless you get a richter, but they are seriously slackin' on production

For no Fizz, Your only other options are to get a type 1 or type 2 PPIMV, power scaling (PS), or Variable Voltage Reduction (VVR)

or you could get PPIMV in concert w/either PS or VVR like the suhr badger

In this case, you should just get a 100 W 1968 Plexi Kit so you have $ left over for some of the mods

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I had a killer HR100 that I ran through a 4x12, but it also sounded great with a THD and Heritage G1265 speakers and that worked fine. Huge headroom and very loud when going for some gainer tones. Works great with a Hot Plate too.

In the end, just too loud for almost anything, but lots of fun.

I also had a Maz Jr. 1x12, almost no headroom and kind of small sounding, IMO.

12. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Thanks for your input man. Sounds like the Headroom100 might be the way to go.

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I would call Greg, but he told me the Club 40 was very similar to the HR100, but less power.

You will love the powerfull punch of the HR100!

14. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I'd get the Club 40 w/ solid state rectifier switch option- great cleans, much of the tightness of the HR 100 and you can dial in the volume with efficient speakers or inefficient speakers as well as using EL34s, 6L6/KT66s or 6V6s (highest to lowest watts). You can attenuate it a few clicks with EL34s and use an ineffcient cab and its quieter than any 18 watter unattenuated. My 4x12 with Heritage G12Ms is quieter than my 2x12 with reissue greenbacks. No joke. Its easy to tame the club 40 and you can get natural overdrive in most settings. That being said, I think the HR 100 is a fantastic amp, especially with a fuzz face (sunface) in front of it. Its just more of everything the CLub 40 is. I'd take a Germino, any Germino, over a Maz18 anyday of the week.

15. gregory49

gregory49 Member

16. sparkman

sparkman Silver Supporting Member

Hello--I own a Germino Headroom 100 head, and I run it through a Germino 4x12 with the 20 watt Celestion Heritage G12M speakers, and it sounds absolutely incredible. I also own the Club 40 and Lead 55 models, and to me, the Headroom 100 is the bigger, meaner older brother to those models, if that makes sense at all. Greg will definitely point you in the appropriate direction based on your needs/tonal requirements--and he's absolutely awesome!! As Dewman mentioned, you simply can't go wrong with a Germino--exceptional tone, build quality, and customer support!

Jim

17. 59burstbucker

59burstbucker Supporting Member

I would suggest for a 2x12 the Scumback M75HP or H75HP, or one of each. That's 130w of power handling. Go to the Scumback site and listen to some clips.

18. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Jim- I'd love to check out your headroom 100. I've been thinking about getting either a headroom 100 or a fillmore...any possiblitiy?

19. yZe

yZe Senior Member

I'm going to have to put in another vote for the Club 40

Much less likely to have cops visting, band members/club owners complaining, etc . . .

Although, the power punch of the HR 100 is tempting

Howz about this:

Use the HR 100 for cleans, and A/B to the club 40 or Masonette 25 for the killer OD ?

20. gregory49

gregory49 Member

well again I'm going to be attenuating it.. with the best attenuator money can buy.. i don't skip out on my gear. Thats why I'm broke right now!!!!

GAT says the hotplate works fine, he has owned one so that makes sense, Doyle Bramhall uses the ultimate attenuator has anyone had experience with that one.?