GERMINO LEAD 55 - Anyone have one??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, May 24, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Just thinking about getting one, what have been your experiences?

2. jw71

jw71 Member

I had one for a while. It was a fine amp. Sold it because it has a split cathode, and I prefer shared cathode amps. Ended up with a JTM-45. Can't go wrong with a Lead 55 if that is the style of amp you're looking for.

3. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

I've had two; the Lead 55 and Lead LV 55. Great amps and I sort of wished I'd have kept one but you know how it goes...

Terrific, bright, glassy cleans up until about 11:00 when she starts to break up in a good way. I've owned lots of amps and the Germino brand would easily be in my top 5.

4. bjm007

bjm007 Member

I own just about all the Germino's...

Best amps of their kind available anywhere at any price (in my opinion)
    Greg rocks! :dude

5. dewman

I have a CLub 40 and Lead 55 LV, but was looking for something new. Wasnt sure if a HR100, Classic 45 or Lead 55 was the next germino to get. The lead 55 is aggressivee, but I didnt know if it would be like Led Zep or old ZZ Top in a band conext versus a Superbass version of the HR100 or the Classic 45. Realistically bot the HR100 and Lead 55 are too loud, but the tone is killer, I'd like to have extra power on tap as most of my amps are in similar wattage ranges. The Classic 45 for me is an amp that could be cranked in a band no problem, but it is the lowest gain.

I posed this question to the Lead 55 users if they were finding those type of tones and aso if they had success in using the amp for pedals.

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

I use my Lead 55 as a springboard for my pedals, and it's awesome for this. This amp sounds great cranked up by itself too, but is generally too loud for most club settings. But it takes pedals great and has a wonderful tone throughout its volume range. I can't recommend this amp enough.

7. 59burstbucker

59burstbucker Supporting Member

Isn't the preamp section on the LV55 the same as the Lead 55? I just thought there was a difference in transformers, but I may be wrong. Since you have the LV55, and not opposed to using pedals, I'd go with the HR 100, just my opinion. Plus you could experiment with pulling the 2 outside power tubes for a little less wattage (check with Greg, but I assume that'd be ok in his design).

8. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Dewman,
    I agree with GuitarBrent but if you have those CLub 40 and Lead 55 LV Germinos in the house, why not go for another brand altogether for a different flavor?

But of course, I understand the Germino thing.

9. m1911

m1911 Member

While I understand your logic....(coming from a man that is quite illogical here:NUTS).....but I think Dewman should get a Classic-45 next.

This way, you have Back-ups for your Back-ups, that are each a little different....yet very similar.

Same reason I bought a half-dozen MAZ-Juniors, and MAZ Seniors.....you find a good thing and stick with it.

If I "WERE" to do what I suggested though....my OCD would be riding me so hard I would soon be aquiring TWO Germino 2x12 Cabinets and a Germino 4x12 Cab thrown in for good measure:cool:

Mark

10. Roe

Roe Member

a post 1968 lead circuit like lead 55 will scream. the earlier jtm/bass circuit (e.g. club 40, fillmore, headroom 100 bass specs) will growl and be a little cleaner. the latter is good for malcolm young, EC etc and it takes pedals better, and cleans up better, than the post 1968 lead circuit. the post 1968 lead sounds more like page or EVH

11. ROKY

ROKY Member

If I already had the Club 40 & LoVo 55, I'd want the Fillmore 100, next .:drool

,, but that's just me.

12. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I've had the Lead 55 for a few years and cannot praise it enough! It is the best RnR amp I've ever owned. It is too loud for you to get break up out of it in most places. It is LOUD! I use it as a clean platform with pedals. Most people don't usually think of Marshall when they want great cleans, but you can get great cleans out of a Marshall plexi-type if its voiced right. Big, fat, and glassy with lots of spank. If you can crank it up, the best overdrive that you'll ever hear. Think Zep and AC/DC. I use it as a pedal platform, since it takes pedals extremely well. It gets real nasty with the right overdrive pedal. I highly recommend it.

13. Roe

Roe Member

germinos are great if you wanna buy an amp. metros are great if you wanna build

14. tcrash

tcrash Supporting Member

Tell Greg what your looking for, he's a great listener and has a few tricks up his sleeve to get you there. The HR100, and the lead55 arent a great deal of difference in overall vol. the "BEST" sounding Germino I've ever heard was a HR100 (and I've heard them all). That said I've owned Lead55's, and they work great for what you trying to do. A set of Heretige greenbacks will tame the volume a little, I sometimes run a dummy load on mine to basically cut the power in half. They wotk great with pedals, fuzz pedals work well if your into those. I have experimented with a lot of o/d pedals, and my dual cot50 work best at getting me in the Zepplin range. Hope some of this helps.

15. dewman

Funny- I already have two Germino 2x12s and two Germino 4x12s !!! His amps and cabs are amazing tonally and rock solid in construction. Best amps I've ever owned period. I totally got Germino OCD (and really Marshall OCD, but could never find a reasonably priced yet unmodded and reliable old Marshall!!).

I thought the Lead 55 would have more clean headroom so I could get that sort of cleanish tone that wasn't too overdriven yet sustained and was powerful, yet still potentially tamed by an ineffcient 4x12 cab and light attenuation to have enough dirt for playing in a medium club with it. I think the Classic 45 would be great, and I could dime that amp, but I have wanted a cleanish yet sustaining sound, mostly to show off the guitar's tone, and I can get it at lower volumes with the Club 40 and Lead 55 LV but there's no way to solo with that tone at those volumes. So I was thinking a Lead 55 or HR100/Fillmore would be one notch up on the headroom scale, but yet voiced similarly to what I got. I love my club 40, the cleans are awesome. The Lead 55 LV is an amazing amp with a Les Paul or humbuckers. So fat and warm with a Les Paul and totally not what I expected it to be.

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I owned and toured with a Lead 55 for a year..even doing outdoor concerts with Cheap Trick and Gov't Mule, it was REAL loud using Scumback H75's...I used it set sort of clean, and used an Eternity or Mosferatu for solos...[the Jeter pedals weren't out yet]...wicked tone...
    the best Marshall I've ever owned

17. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

Germino 55 LV Rules:dude:RoCkIn

18. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Hmm, if you already have two and one is a lv55 I say get a 100 watter. Especially considering the 55 will more then likely be too loud, why not go balls out and get a 100?
    There is nothing like playing a 100 watt amp, they are just massive sounding with dynamics that crush. I played one of Greg's 100 watters and it was fantastic.

19. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Get a Fillmore 100.. then loan it to me for a while!:dude That is the kt66 one right? I'd LOVE to hear one of those.

20. m1911

m1911 Member

By the way, do you have Heritage Greenbacks in most of those Cabinets?
    I have considered sending Greg a couple of Alnico Tone Tubbies to run a few of his Heads through before I made a decision.

When you say the LoVo model is so Fat and Warm...you were surprised by this? What were you not expecting....the Break-up?
    I've only heard Greg's half dozen live sound-bites from his web-site doing some Allman stuff.....sounded great to me.

To me, the part about a Marshalls that I DON'T care for is how aggressive they can be. I've heard Greg's straight-up Lead 55 is the most aggressive in his product line.

Yesterday I was going to suggest you ask Rod these questions, but I noticed he alreay chimed in. He plays at some fairly large places and says the Lead 55 was too much.....I'd consider that.

Don't you you guys like most Amps WITHOUT Pedals?
    I still say buy the Classic-45 and ride the volume knob.
    Have you ever been over to FatSound when Stu's had one?

Anyway...it's so cool you have two 4x12's!:cool:

Mark