Germino Lead 55 Favorite Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnny q, Aug 22, 2005.

1. johnny q

johnny q Member

Hello everyone:

I just learned today that my new Germino Lead 55 Standard is shipping. I was curious if any of you had any favorite settings (preferably for max crunch!!) that you would like to share.

Thanks

JQ

2. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

jumper (or y-cord) the inputs, both volumes 5 or above, mids above 5 somewhere, bass below 5 somewhere, treb/presence to taste, Les Paul, greenbacks, stand back :dude

3. will132

will132 Member

Put a Tim pedal in front of it if you get a chance. In clean boost it is awesome.

4. johnny q

johnny q Member

Thanks dude:dude

I have all the ingredients except the Greenies, I opted for Heritage g12H's instead.

JQ

5. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Glad to hear you have a Tim to kick the front. Don't judge the amp until you've also heard it with greenbacks. They bring down the volume a little, compress in a nice way, and just sound right with that head.

6. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

jump channels, all knobs on 6 except bass on 3, add boost/fuzz/OD/etc. to taste.

7. johnny q

johnny q Member

Yeah, I had a real tough decision to make regarding what speakers to get. I went with the G12H Heritage x4 because I liked the added bottom end. Of course, I will second guess myself forever........ Also, I wanted the option to use the cab with my 100 watters too, and I did not feel comfortable with four 20 watt speakers, even though I hear they can handle peaks way higher than that.

BTW, What is a "Tim??"

JQ

8. fjs1962

I think the reissue Greenbacks are conservatively rated. I've pounded my 212 Greenback cab with my Lead 55 cranked up and never had a problem. I was a little worried at first but Greg Germino told me he's used two Greens with a Lead 55 forever and never blown one. I actually put G12H30s in my cab once just to try and took them right out after a gig with them. They were just too efficient and loud with my Lead 55. The Greens soak up the power enough to keep the volume at tolerable levels.

9. johnny q

johnny q Member

Greg told me the same thing and that he has used 100 watt superleads with four 20 watt Heritage G12M's. He did say that if the other amps I plan on using with this cab are master volume or high gain, four 20 watt G12M's might not be a good idea.

I am not so worried about the extra volume, I think I will like the Heritage g12h tonewise, as I understand this is a faithful recreation of the genuine article.

JQ

10. fjs1962

I didn't read your earlier post closely enough. I thought you were talking about the regular G12H30. I haven't heard the Heritage versions yet but I really want to. Greg told me the 20 watt Heritage would soak up the power even more than my RI Greens while at the same time being more articulate. If I wasn't so happy with the Greens already I'd try a pair of Heritage 20s in my cab.

11. johnny q

johnny q Member

I'll tell ya what - my Lead 55 and 4x12 cab w/ the Heritage G12H are due today, so I will post a short review tomorrow.

...That is, if the UPS man doesnt drop a testicle delivering the damn thing!!

or worse......drop the amp.

JQ

12. will132

will132 Member

Do a search for Tim and that will give you plenty of information about the pedal. I had a Lead 55 and when I put it in front of the amp in clean boost it really opened up the sound. It seemed like it was made for that amp. I have also heard the the Klon pedal worked weel for distortion.

13. KLB

KLB Member

The 20 watt Heritage Celestions are less efficient, so they will be slightly less loud at the same wattage as the Greenbacks (96db vs. 97db efficiency).

They can't soak up more power, though. Greenbacks are rated at 25 watts and should be able to take more power than the new G12M-20.

Cheers,
    Ken

14. johnny q

johnny q Member

I asked a freind to lend me his Klon actually. After plunking down the dollars for the Germino, any other gear purchases are off limits unless I want to risk a messy divorce!

I'll do a search for the Tim, maybe its more affordable than the Klon??

Germino just arrived, the cab, only slightly dinged up from UPS, but all in working order, cause I plugged it into my living room wall, cranked both volumes to "8" and struck an open A Chord and I swear I peeled paint from the walls!!

More experimentation and testing once I move this beast into another room - wife needs to watch QVC:D

15. fjs1962

That's what I meant, they would be less efficient and because of this would attenuate the Lead 55 that much more.

16. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

Johnny q: I owned a Lead 55. That amp is made for the stage. I always used it with a 2x12 with greenback 12M with no problems and I cranked her at rehersals. I know the amp seems really loud in the house, but take her on stage with a loud drummer and bass player and you'll be in heaven. A Hotplate is a good idea. A Tim pedal is a great idea. I own both a Klon and a Tim. I love them both, but the Tim is more versatile, half the price, and acts like it was made for that amp. You can get the cranked tone at almost any volume. Wait until your wife leaves the house, stick in some ear plugs, and crank that baby until the cops come!

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

18. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Favorite Lead 55 setting? On!!

Seriously, I use the regular input only. I used to jump channels, but I've found that (for me, at least) it's just too much. I set the presence pretty low...maybe 2 or 3. Everything else around 5, I think. Treble might be rolled off a bit more than that. I'd need to double check.

I have a 2x12 with Greenbacks, but am considering getting the G12H-30s. Some of you already have these in your cab. What's the verdict tone wise? I think the Greenbacks sound great, but you know how it is...that endless quest for tone goes on.

Tim pedal with the Germino, eh? Thanks for the tip. I was interested in one anyway, and now I'm even more interested. Anyone tried the Eternity pedal with it?

I've found that the Tubester pedal (www.tubester.com) is a great match for the Lead 55. I've got a JAN GE 5751 in it, and it sounds incredible. OCD sounds great also. Analogman NKT-275 Sunface absolutely kills--nails EJ's "Righteous" sound, if you're into that kind of thing. Does Hendrix and much more, too.

Dr. Z/Trainwreck Air Brake also on at all times to tame the beast a bit. Again, highly recommended.

19. johnny q

johnny q Member

Yeah - its currently in my living room and after I got through digging the clean sounds, I turned both volumes to 8 and WHAM, it hits you right in the chest. BUT, it does not fatigue the ear at all. Its damn loud, but like you said, it would fit in a band context quite nicely, and I do plan on getting a Hotplate for those small bar gigs!

Until I borrow my friends Klon, I am using a Barber Direct drive to push the front end, but it gets a little sloppy. Volume on 8 gives me enough gain, and from there I could use my guitars volume. I am intrigued by this "Tim" pedal though......

JQ

20. johnny q

johnny q Member

I have the Heritage G12h30's in my Germino cab. It was a tough decision because most folks prefer the Heritage G12M's including Greg, but I wanted the extra low end and the higher efficiency should I blast my 100 watters through it.

I never played through the original G12H30's from back in the day, so my only comparison is to the recent Celestion (non heritage) re-issue version of the G12h30, and the comparison is "no comparison." Kinda like upgrading your old phonograph to a state of the art system. I like them, but I find they have a harshness in the mids that approach the same harshness I hear in the Vintage 30's. The Heritage g12h30 sounds big and round, no harshness at all, and they will sound even better when I break those puppies in!!

JQ