Germino Lead 55 or Headroom 100 Sound Clips???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnny q, May 4, 2005.

1. johnny q

johnny q Member

I see a lot of love on this forum for Germino amps, so I figured I would have the best luck posting here! :)

Does anyone have any clips of the Germino Lead 55, Lead 55 LOVO or Headroom 100?? I have listened to all of the clips on Gregs site and I would like to hear something other than Allman Brothers tunes (no offense to the boys). In fact, I am dying to hear someone play the intro to "Heartbreaker" through one of these amps!

JQ

2. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

I got a Germino Monterey-100 four KT-66, Classic 45 front-end, Superbass values, huge trannys spec'd back to '65-66.
    I got a ton of clips, but all the distortion is pedal generated.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/carlygtr56music.htm

3. johnny q

johnny q Member

Yep - I have seen some of your other posts, nice amp you have there!! I have been checking out your clips as well, they sound great.

I'm curious how you generate the distortion - overdrive pedal in front of the amp?? Any attenuation??

JQ

4. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Guest

Either an od, distortion, fuzz in front of the amp.

I recently got a Hot Plate, but that just to run my amp's volume a little higher.....the amp is still "clean".

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I have a Headroom 100 but at the moment no place to host clips. Plus, I won't be able to post pro-player clips. But I was under the impression that there's only a handful of HR-100s in existence so if you have a place for it, I could make a clip.

6. johnny q

johnny q Member

Thanks - unfortunately I am in the same boat, no place to host either.

What are your impressions of the HR100?? Any particular likes/dislikes??

JQ

7. meterman

meterman Member

8. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

If you tell me what you want to hear I can record a couple of clips and email them to you. I've got a L55 with a Germino 212 w/Greenbacks. For guitars I have Strat, Tele, LP and McCarty.

9. johnny q

johnny q Member

Yep - I fully believe that I have heard every single clip on the internet featuring Germino amps!! :)

10. johnny q

johnny q Member

Thanks again fjs1962!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JQ

11. johnny q

johnny q Member

Well - I took the plunge. I ordered the Lead 55 standard w/ a 4x12 cab w. greenback re-issues. How will I be able to sleep over the next 4-6 weeks!!!!!:)

JQ

12. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure you'll love it. I'd like to try my L55 through a 412 at some point. I'll bet it will sound huge! Maybe I'll just add another 212 for a mini stack :D

13. LP Blues

LP Blues Silver Supporting Member

I cant open your link. Can you send me some clips to my email? meb2@comcast.net THANKS!!!!!!

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

A Lead 55 w/ 4x12 and Greenbacks is going to sound incredible. You'll have no problems doing Zeppelin with this set up. Are you in a situation where you can play loud, or do you plan on using pedals to get most of the gainy sounds. If you can get the amp up to 8 or higher, watch out!!:dude

15. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Its an incredible amp. The Lead 55 with a strat doesnt get terribly broken up- you probably need to boost it a tad with either an overdrive or boost pedal to get it into the creamy overdrive that you can get by running the amp at 8 and riding the volume on a humbucking guitar , especially a Les Paul. The one recently available on the emporium is a monster...red too!

16. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Do parallel attenuation with your lead 55. That will help a lot. Get a 16 ohm attenuator, run one speaker out to it, with some level of attenuation (ie, not bypassed). Run the other speaker out to your cab. Put the amp's ohm selector on 8. Voila, now you have a "Lead 27.5". Crank both volumes to 8, put a jumper btwn the channels and rock.

17. dewman

Oooooh yeah...a Lead 27.5W...now THAT works!

Just so I am clear on this-Do you need to connect the attenuator to a speaker too, or just accepting one of the two speaker outs (the other driving a cab of course)...

18. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I got to play both of those amps this weekend at the amp show.

Both the 55's are awesome amps, I preferred that lovo 55 over the standard one, it just had more give to it and was a little lower in volume. The standard 55 was an awesome amp though, made me want to play Sabbath immediately, which I did for a minute.

The Headroom 100 really blew me away cause to my ears it is anything but. At 1/2 way up that amp is well into smooth overdrive, driving Greg's 4X12 with Heritage GB's it was extremely smooth and not offensive. There is still NO DOUBT that you are playing a 100W amp, there is just something about a 100 watter, it's like a big block, there is more torque on tap, they just feel different.
    That is why I find it ridiculous to argue over DB's and volume with 100 watters, you have to play them and experience the difference.

I did not play the Filmore but if I was looking for a 100 watter, I would not hesitate to get the Headroom 100, the name is misleading.

19. dewman

Did you guys see Greg's new faceplates- VERY cool and that old Marshall vibe!