Germino Lead 55LV vs Classic 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StevenS, Feb 1, 2012.

1. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

I've got a Germino Lead 55LV and am thinking about taking the plunge on a Classic 45.

I've never really played a 45 based amp, but have heard some sound samples that sound right up my alley.

I'm leaning toward Greg's Classic 45.

Has anyone played both that could give me an idea what to maybe expect?

2. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

I haven't played both germinos, but i've played the lead voicing marshall that it's based on, and I've played one of Greg's fabulous C45's.

The C45 isn't as loud. It's thicker a little less gainy, rounder, woolier 'woodier' tone.
    It's Clapton on Beano, Malcom Young esque, almost tweedy (which makes sense, the JTM45 is based on a tweed bassman). Takes pedals very well, big round tone that's fabulous clean, and glorious pushed. Easy to get hendrixy clean strat tones, the edge of dirt and light dirt tones with a strat or tele are fabuluous. Pushed with a Les Paul, it's that mid 60's legendary thick tone..not quite the 'marshall tone' we think of the later 60's Cream/Zep, Free etc. It's rounder, darker and smoother.

The Lead voicing is brighter, tighter and stiffer the EL34's breakup is a completely different character. Capable of more 'gain' or dirt...it's that crisp and immediate attack higher gained, late 60's marshall tone. Vh isn't too much of a stretch on this kind of amp. Zep, Allmans, bad company...just tighter, brighter, louder and more aggressive, but also can get some nice cleans.

Both are fabulous. I could and have made a case for owning both in one's collection.

The video demos Gregg has on line are fabulous and detail the differences well IMO.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  3. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

I have never used the /thread before. But what more is there to say?

4. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Classic 45 owner here. Yep, Big Mike pretty much nailed it.

I love my Germino C45, BTW.

5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Big Mike just gave me morning wood in the afternoon.

6. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Germino's are absolutely amazing.
    As long as you can control the volume and get "your" tone with it live there is no one better in the biz.

7. StevenS

StevenS Supporting Member

Thanks Big Mike, much appreciated.

I think I might give Greg a call before I make up my mind.

8. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Definitely do so. Greg's an awesome guy to talk to.

There's only 3 guys I'd go to on the planet to build me a Marshallesque amp, and one of them doesn't build anymore.
    Greg's one of the others. He's a peach.
    And a helluva player.

You might decide to split the difference and look at a club 40. It'll meet the two in the middle basically. There's an awesome demo by Audley Freed on youtube and greg's site.