Germino Masonette

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cobra, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

Why was the Germino Masonette discontinued, & dropped from the lineup? By all accounts this amp was selling well, & provided the classic marshall sound at less volume.

2. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I seem to remember an earlier thread on this....IIRC, the reason was that there was too much overlap with the Club 40. The Masonette is supposed to be 25w, but it sounds more like 40w or so to me. I think you can run 6v6's in the Club 40 too, so there was no reason to keep the Masonette in production. Both the Masonette and Club 40 are killer JTM style amps.

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Exactly!

I love my Masonette!

4. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Yeah I had both the Masonette and the Club 40 at one point. Besides the clean headroom issue with the Masonette, the 40 just sounds so much bigger and fuller that I ended up selling my Masonette.

5. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

I have a Masonette and agree there is no clean headroom, but wasn't that the point of this amp ? Marshall inspired overdrive tones at lower volume. If someone bought a Masonette and complained about the lack of headroom, did they not buy the wrong amp ? I must be missing something.

6. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

jeffh, you are pretty much right on in regard to the distorted thang, but some people like the slightly broken up "clean" Marshall sound. For me having the two side by side, I preferred the C 40 hands down. In Greg's view (I'm assuming here) he must think that the LoVo55 or C40 with 6v6's does a pretty good Masonette imitation....

7. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I'd LOVE a LV55, that will be my next Germino for sure.

Having said that I love the Masonette, I use input 1 set the volume at 12-1 o'clock and I'm good to go. Nice crunch with room left over for pedals. With a LP and semi-open back it is the perfect combo of Marshal munch with a dose of Fender chime thrown in. It is also the perfect band volume for rehearsal and gigs in larger clubs, so that works nicely for me.

8. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

I'm missing something as well. The beauty of the Masonette is as a screamin', dirty rock and blues amp. I have a 2 by 12 combo and for me it is the perfect amp. It's a shame its discontinued.

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I have the club 40 and Greg said when using 6V6 output tubes bias to 17mA current draw, and use an 8 ohm cab with the selector set at 4 ohms, or a 16 ohm cab with the impedance selector set at 8 in order to properly match the impedance with 6V6s. With KT66s or 6L6 tubes, the cab and amp are set to the SAME ohm rating (8 amp and 8 cab), with the bias adjusted to between 32-35 mA. The sound is great, volume is reduced, breakup is earlier and still EL34-like and I can hear after playing....I have only tested fully with a strat, and will soon crank it up with humbuckers as soon as I can get all my Christmas visitors out of the house!!

10. KLB

KLB Member

I also sold a Masonette (and later an LV55) after getting the Club 40.

When using 6V6, you can use a quality NOS 5Y3GT or 5U4GB to lower plate volts even more than the 5AR4. The first filter cap is 32mfd, so this is safe. The 5U4 will lower the volume and add a bit of compression more like the Masonette. The 5Y3 goes even further (~360v), especially when the tubes are biased around 30ma.

My Club 40 is in a red 1x12 combo cab with a Cannabis Rex speaker.

I changed my phase inverter coupling caps from .1 mfd. to .02, which is more than large enough for EL34 and especially 6V6. I thought the .1 caps were too bass heavy with EL34, but good with 6L6. My amp does not have or need a brite cap on the brite volume, though I believe that is stock.

6V6 signal grids don't require as much as EL34 to saturate, so you can use a 5751 or 12AT7 for the phase inverter.

5881 also sound wonderful in the Club 40, whether set the same as the speaker load, or one notch less to load them a bit for less wattage, more compression and a softer attack.

Of course, this amp is oh-so-sweet with EL34!

11. KLB

KLB Member

When using KT66, try setting the impedence selector to half the speaker load. This will reflect almost 7K on the primary, which is similar to a JTM45 running KT66.