Germino Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Slaytallica, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Slaytallica

Slaytallica Member

What Kind of Germino Amp do you own and what cab and speakers do you use for your Germino. I have a Masonette and I'm looking at buying a Germino 2x12 but I don't know if I should go with different speakers ala weber, skumback instead of the Celestians.

thanks for the feedback

SLAY

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have a Masonette and Club 40, use Celestion Heritage G12M's with both in a 2X12. Couldn't be happier.

3. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I know people try to match speakers with amps and I guess if you have a bright amp you would most likely want a darker sounding speaker. All I can say is I love my Scumbacks... I think they sound much better than any of the current celestions except the heritage versions which are more money.

4. ricoh

ricoh Member

I use a Bluesbraker style open back 2-12 with celestion greenbacks
    with a LoVo55 or a 67 JTM 50 watter that Greg G. brought back to life.

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Classic 45 combo with Celestion Greenbacks. The amp has both bright and normal inputs. I find I generally run into the bright inputs and adjust the tone controls to suit. I think it's an excellent comination but not sure this would be at all helpful for you when looking for a match for the Masonette (never having heard or played one).

6. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I have a Club 40 with an open backed 2x12 (aso Germino) loaded with made in England celestion greenback reissues. Also sounds great with a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab I have loaded with a celestion G12H30 and a Weber alnico blue dog 30W speaker. I haven't swapped the greenies into the closed backed cab and vice versa yet, my guess it would sound even better. But my Club 40 has plenty of low end on tap and I like the warmth of the greenbacks in the open backed cab. I used to have celestion heritage G12Ms but found them too bright for me, they are nice speakers and way low efficiency so you can tame the volume. Mine might have been too new and not fully broken in, but to me they didn't add any warmth to my strat which is what I was going for. I have found that the Club 40 is voiced well with both types of cabs. The tone controls actually work and the amp already has a lot of low end to draw upon.

7. Seniorspike

Seniorspike Member

I use my Masonette with Greg's 2x12 (big cab) with greenies, open-back... love it!
    Rick

8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I see that most of you guys are using 2 X 12's loaded with greenbacks. . .Have any of you ever tried a pair of Celestion Blues?

I don't mean to hijack the thread. I'm just hoping for a little more input from some of the Germino users.

9. tcrash

tcrash Supporting Member

I have not tried the webers, or the scumback, but I have tried all the celestions, and nearly all of the Germino's.
    I prefer th g12h, its louder, has more bottom, and stays a little cleaner. Greg always played through greenbacks, when he was playing his masonette and sounded great. The heritage spkrs are truely "sweet" I can see why some people like them, just not for me. Depending on what you want from the amp will be a factor in which speaker.

10. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Classic 45

I am one of the few that really likes the Celestion Heritage 30 watter with this amp. You gotta crank it up a bit to get the goods. They are loud, crisp and strong.

<M

11. Roe

Roe Member

slaytallica,

which guitars do you play, what kind of music? how do you like your sound?

12. Slaytallica

Slaytallica Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I have several guitars that I play thourgh my Germino. But mostly my Gibson LP Standard and Fender Strat. I also have PRS Singlecut Trem, Framus Camarillo Custom, Shecter, USA Fender Floyd Rose Strat, Ibanez JEM but I rarely plug them into my germino

I play all kinds of music alot of Metal and Hard Rock but I've been on this Blues, Classic Hard Rock, Southern Rock kick for the past several months.

I picked up the Germino becuase I loved the tone Greg was achieving with thes amps. I'm Currently running it through my VHT Fatbottom 4x12 and it just has way to much bottom end. The cab is a better fit with my ENGL, 6506+ & Dual Rec not too happy with the tone for the Germino. It's good but it's not that great tone I'm looking for.

So I want to get somthing that has good bottom end but not over whelming. Something that could really bring that Germino sweet spot out. Nice and even Mids and sparkling Highs with enough low end thump that doesnt get too muddy. I really was looking at the Germino 2x12 with Greenbacks but I know there are so many differnt speakers out there that can replace them I'm just curious as too what you guys use.

Thanks for the input.

13. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Classic 45 Head, Germino 2x12 Cab with G12H & G12M. Looking at Scumbacks but I am happy with the Celestions.

Smoke'

14. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Classic 45 and Lead 55 owner here. I play both heads through the larger "old style" Germino closed back 2x12 cab loaded with Greenbacks. Sounds great!

15. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I think the bags sound better than the new heritages. but I've not yet had the chance to do a 'real' A/B comparison. I've played them with unfamilar amps.

I was fortunate enough to play a Germino Classic 45. Great amp. Fantastic. But with 2 greenbacks (regular G12M's) it was only ho-hum. Through my Z 1x12 (!!) with a Scumback it was amazing. Sounded lush, full, and 3D. Just killer.

16. Roe

Roe Member

I don't own a germino (yet), just a metro jtm45.

Anyway I'd say that basically the choice is between G12M and G12H type speakers.

G12H - better for heavy riffs. works best in open cabs
    G12M - sweet, bluesy solo tone

17. Slaytallica

Slaytallica Member

Thanks Roe.:D

18. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Better yet, 1 of each (Scumback version :D) in a open back 2x12:RoCkIn

19. Slaytallica

Slaytallica Member

That would be killer Mike:BEER

20. Roe

Roe Member

some like the M and H combo, others don't.

I didn't mean that G12Hs only sound good in open cabs - they sound equally good in closed cabs. But G12Ms doesn't sound very good in open cabs