Germino question.... 40 or 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gitarboy, Jun 3, 2008.

1. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    I've been playing over 40 years but have never owned a Marshall so I'm in the dark on these... I'm a blues/r&b based player that likes a little more sustain than an old school blues guy would but not into the blues/rock realm... I was in a music store 3 or 4 years ago and they had a old bluesbreaker ri 2x12 that had of all things in it, 2-celestion blues... that tone has been on my mind ever since... I'm basically a single coil player... which of the Germino's would you recommend where I could get a nice clean and still roll it up and get a nasty blues tone as well... I mentioned these two models cause they're both currently for sale here on the forum... any guidance would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    Steve :bow

2. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

If you liked the Bluesbreaker RI, there's no reason to think you wouldn't absolutely love the Classic 45. If I had the need for a big amp, that is what I would play through.

3. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Steve:

I recently went thru the exact same decision and I went with a Classic 45. Here's why:

1. I Called Greg Germino and told him I wanted more clean headroom and I never would need gain beyond what the ABB used on the Fillmore East record. He recommended the Classic 45.

2. So, the Club 40 gets more gainy more quickly than the Classic 45.

3. I did not have the opportunity to A/B the amps, but there was a pretty strong consensus on the above.

4. The Classic 45 is just as advertised. Great cleans and its gotta be pretty loud to break up. Pedals works great but like a LOT of amps, it sounds better when its opened up. Bright, though. Gotta watch that treble control.

5. It'll stay clean in the context of a pretty loud 4 piece band, unmiked, with a pretty heavy handed drummer. No problem; I don;t know if the 40 would do that.

BTW, I swear on a stack of Bibles that the Classic makes notes sustain more at a given level than my other amps (Carr, Tone King, Blueverb, Mesa LSS, Vibro King). I'm not sure about the physics, but that's sure what my ears tell me.

4. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the response...

5. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Plus one for the Classic 45 AND Greg-What a great guy-Service above and beyond!!

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The JTM45 style amp is just about the perfect gig amp for me. Not a lot of wattage, but plenty of headroom. Lots of folks are building fantastic JTM clones with some good twists. I recently picked up a Reinhardt Sentinel that's just about the most polite amp I've ever owned untill you turn it up, then it breathes fire and like Greg's amp, is completely controllable with the volume knob of your guitar.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've owned both the Classic 45 (2x12 combo) and Club 40 (head). I can tell you that if you want to overdrive the amp with Fender single coils the amp will be very loud, better to use an OD pedal.

It's a close call, but I'd go for the Club 40 if I were to get another one. It's a bit more "Marshally" and that's what these amps are really all about.

8. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I play mostly Strats and have the Classic 45 but have never played the Club 40. Cranked, the tone is great for blues, but not SRV type tone without a pedal. The tone is more "pure" for lack of a better word. But you do have to crank it pretty loud to get grind with single coils and without a pedal. Having said this, the tone from the Classic 45 is just beautiful. I prefer its clean to Blackface Fender at this point. Drop a good OD pedal in front and it is perfect for blues and classic rock. An OCD and Tele is fantastic.

9. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I'd go for the Club 40. They are both great amps, but you can get more drive out of the 40 when you dime it. Excellent with single coils. At lower volumes, the cleans are still excellent.

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got a Club 40 and have never played the 45. I would also mention that the speakers that you match to the amp are very important. I've got a pair of Heritage G12M's, 20 watt greenies, so they're not very efficient. A pair of blues is, I believe, 4 db more efficient, and that's pretty loud in the course of things.

I also run through a Dr. Z AirBrake to bring down the db's and also add a little zing to the front end with a Keeley Compressor. . .Don't need no stinking pedals!