Gershwin Et Al

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by zzmoore, Jul 18, 2011.

1. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I gotta tell you.....I am a HUGE fan.
    George and Ira.
    Lerner and Lowe
    Cole Porter
    Etc. etc.
    The songs did not have a single misplaced note, and the lyrics were so clever, poignant, hitting, and true......yet often simple if that is not too ironic. Ever feel like the guy in the song "On The Street Where You Live".....?
    Times change, I know. I am a big Blues-Rock snob.
    But........ever try whistling "In A Gadda Da Vida"...?
    It works much better with "Til There Was You"......;)

2. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member

3. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

4. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

TOTALLY with you....These cats were genius-level artists. Not a single syllable or note is not accounted for. Every word has been deliberated over, every melody has been refined, and the idea behind the songs - the song concept - is always timeless and has a definite "angle".
    These were not songs written about nebulous "feelings" or driven by teen angst.
    They are more universal, and timeless. Songwriting craft and art at the high point....A song like Rodger's and Hart's "Manhattan" actually IS the city in song form....

5. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Well Said....
    Yeah, those guys were masters of their trade....like the screen writers and play writes of the day. That is what happens when you have restrictions to work under . It forces you to be intelligent and creative.....or you starve. Guys that write Rap "Lyrics" would have starved to death in those dyas.......... Thankfully
    Best