Get me started; Octave-up pedal -hollow body bass to emulate 'cello parts

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mixsit, Apr 20, 2018.

1. mixsit

mixsit Member

I have a few songs i'd like to work up 'low string cello like parts via the mid or upper registers on a hollow body bass. Think ah la' Eleanor Rigby'.
    Just began my forum searches and such. This might have gone in the 'bass forum but thought this might be a good spot to get a bump start here.
    :>)

2. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

Do you intend to bow the bass?

If you are recording to computer, you will get amazing results with a good cello instrument, specifically Tina Guo Acoustic Cello Legato, a rich, beautifully played gazillion dollar cello recorded and mapped by the geniuses at Cinesamples.

https://cinesamples.com/product/tina-guo-acoustic-cello-legato

I do admire your creative thinking, though.

JAP09 likes this.
  3. mixsit

mixsit Member

Hi thanks for that and I'll look into it.

I came back to add that this will be me plucking the bass, and mainly looking to get a bit of 'throat and tone layering. Hopefully to get 'close enough for inspiration and gathering line parts' and ideas, at least initially. (Been playing these parts (ideas') on guitar in the acoustic band' :>)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  4. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Try the EHX Mel9 pedal

Bassomatic and mixsit like this.
  5. mixsit

mixsit Member

Terry McInturff likes this.
  6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Unless it's a pizzicato thing, you might consider a volume pedal. How most electric bassists who want to get a bit of that 'cello flavor seem to approach the problem, IME. I don't follow the upper register octave shifted down rationale at all, however. Why not just play it at pitch in the first place?

7. mixsit

mixsit Member

I started (1st post) with me playing this on bass -mixing in octave up.
    And again, this is about me having a means to emulate enough of a low strings effect', primarily to gather/develop the parts and ideas for these songs.
    I can (and am) playing these parts on my acoustic guitar now, or I could do it via a nice hollow body bass. Which, especially with some 'envelope shaping via the some appropriate compression attack/release, got me going in this direction :>)

8. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Why don’t you try an ebow?

Bassomatic likes this.
  9. mixsit

mixsit Member

I started (1st post) with me playing this on bass -mixing in octave up.
    And again, this is about me having a means to emulate enough of a low strings effect', primarily to gather/develop the parts and ideas for these songs.
    I can (and am) playing these parts on my acoustic guitar now, or I could do it via a nice hollow body bass. Which, especially with some 'envelope shaping via the some appropriate compression attack/release -as in similar to the volume pedal you mention, got me going in this direction :>)

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

not using effects, other than reverb, i've done something a tiny bit like this, playing slide on a bass.

11. mixsit

mixsit Member

For 'sustained notes only.
    'Eleanor Rigby parts.

12. mixsit

mixsit Member

Wow! Thank you.
    :>)

buddaman71 likes this.
  13. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

I use an overdrive guitar tone and my pinky finger on the volume knob to do cello like sounds. I set it so that I get a good strong tone by simple hammer down, then fade in quickly on the volume knob.

14. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

You can achieve only so much via swells and bows and pedals with guitar or bass, but the quick attack, staccato stuff is tough.

Yeah, this is why I set down my guitar long enough to learn to play a keyboard and use samples and write sequences. Eventually you hit a wall and have a sound in your head that your your guitar rig, with any amount of pedals is not gonna reach. Embrace the DAW, get a midi controller and a decent sound library. Then the sky is the limit. Use your guitar and bass for their own parts.

When I came to this realization in my music, all we had was an EPS keyboard sampler with a floppy drive. SO much easier these days.

15. zenmindbeginner

zenmindbeginner Member