"get our rhinos out of jail" guitar

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by murraykuun, Jan 24, 2012.

1. murraykuun

murraykuun Member

I've designed an "African Big 5" range of guitars, I have built the first of the 5 and it is my effort at raising local (South African) and international awareness of the tragic plight of our rhino's which are being poached at an alarming rate (over 400 last year). The animals are butchered (google images "rhino poaching") for their horn. It is pulverised and used in "the East" as an aphrodisiac. Of course it does not work as it consists of the same substance as human finger nails.

About the guitar. It is completely handmade from African materials and inspired by the proportions of two of my earlier offerings and the pre-war depression era all-mahogany guitars. I have heard both the Martin and Santa Cruz modern versions and like this kind of sound more than any other steel string acoustics. I used all sapele for the body and neck, with figured imbuia for the f/b, bridge and headstock veneer. The inlay is a pink ivory wood.

650mm scale and IMO sounds terrific, which is a surprise, I did not expect sapele to work this well as a soundboard.

Anything that can be done to spread our "rhino" message will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. stan p

stan p Member

I Can repost your link on my Facebook page.

3. RSRD

RSRD Member

That is a great thing you are doing. The tragedy of Rhinos for horns, gorillas for various parts, Elephants tusks, sharks fins, dogs fur (most faux fur is dog fur from china now) etc... is beyond comprehension. Not to mention the incredibly horrendous ways in which they are done. Humans can be great and despicable. We are a hard species to figure out.

I'll pass on the link as well. That is a stunning guitar! How does it sound? The detail is exquisite.

4. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful guitar. Good luck with your nobel cause to save the Rhino.

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Great cause for sure. That said, should you not be touting your wares in the dealers/builders section? What does raising awareness mean? Are you giving all proceeds to a fund to stop the butchering?

6. murraykuun

murraykuun Member

I'm running on an "auction" in my home country, if I can get a fair price for it, at least 75% of the selling price will be donated. That is, everything except the cost of the wood and tuners etc. The months of design and the time making it will be donated in full. I am serious about this project but so far, I don't think that too many others are......

7. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

How does making a guitar like this raise awareness? Perhaps if you get a well known player to play, it would raise a bit more awareness? You might like to write to famous players who champion the same cause as you.

If you are just going to sell this guitar to a normal folk, then I cant imagine much awareness being raised. Who do you think will be attending the auction?

Which specific organisation are you planning to donate the proceeds to?
    Where is your home country?

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

How does any form of art raise awareness? :jo

Loaded questions for $1000, Alex.

FWIW, I think this is a beautiful way to shine a light on an ugly, archaic practice.

9. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

i like the inlay.. artistically representative!