Get rid of that noise!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by little cyress, Aug 18, 2008.

1. little cyress

little cyress Member

my old friend just left town after we layed down a few tracks...
    There is an unpleasant noise just before the lyrics kick in and he mixed it down already on his Korg D1200, so the separate tracks are not editable...

so my question is, can my old SoundForge Editor v3.0 I think, cut out the bad frequencies before I try to master it... It should have been thrown out to begin with, but it's too late...

here's a link to the tune: http://www.soundupload.com/audio/n5s055mqytqgk38f

& thanks for any comments or recommendations .....

2. little cyress

little cyress Member

3. foghorn99

foghorn99 Member

Is it the sound at/about 29 seconds in? Quick way: Can you reproduce that sound and then use s/w to find/cancel that sound? It may not be a perfect solution, though.

If it was me....and apparently I have all kinds of free time, especially between midnight and 3am (lately, it seems.....LOL) is that I would look for a similar sounding part in the song, copy it, and paste it over the offending section. But I'd want to do this with a click track as reference, time based editing s/w down to nano-seconds and a lot of time/patience to do it.

Dunno.........

4. little cyress

little cyress Member

thanks
    but what is s/w ??
    I was going to throw the track into Cubase eventually, so I could possibly do the patch there, but was also looking into cancelling the offending frequencies out with a wave editor like soundforge first... I will need to dust Soundforge off and see what it can do.

5. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that in their free time...

6. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Version 9 of Soundforge has a noise reduction plugin that allows you to take a small sample of the noise and it will then attempt to cancel out that noise sample. There are other plugins that do similar tasks like those from Waves and Bias (mac only from Bias). Sometimes this approach works well as long as you don't accidentaly get rid of desired noise like part of a vocal.

7. foghorn99

foghorn99 Member

LOL - thanks for the sanity check, padavis. Now that I think about it, it's probably the best solution for you to copy/paste a similar sound passage over the offending noise, little cyress. It will give you a clean edit...whereas using some s/w (software) might (or might not) do the job. And....doing this pain-staking procedure will build character/patience/appreciation for sound engineers and/or make you appreciate the discipline that is required for pure studio musicianship. Either way, you will grow from the experience.

I for one am the furthest thing from a honed studio musician...but, HEY.....I'm getting pretty good at editing!! :rotflmao

Above all else............have fun.....

8. little cyress

little cyress Member

9. little cyress

little cyress Member

bump

well, I dragged my old SoundForge 4.5 out and was able to copy a similar section of the song... i threw it into Cubase on top of the problem area and VOILA... it worked
    The only thing is I can still hear a very faint sound/noise. I'm just not sure if this is just because the problem area begins ever so slightly sooner than what I pasted over, or if it is being caused by the DAW dealing with the "new paste" section. I think it is most likely the former.
    It is good to have a WAV Editor... Soundforge 4.5 is all I have, but it is certainly much better than nothing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  10. foghorn99

foghorn99 Member

If you are editing in WAV...then try loading it into Audacity. It's free! After you're done, then just export back into WAV format. It's that easy.

And....dont' forget to use a click track set to the proper beats-per-minute as the original track as the reference....this way you'll know if you got the offending section framed properly (or not)

Good luck....have fun.
    -Kent