Get something due to Gibson suit?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jazzandmore, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Was just telling buddy of mine about this thread and like many folks he said "won't ever buy from Gibson again" (he does own a LP).

But the best thing he said was "I don't need another LP, but this makes me want to buy one from a boutique guy before they disappear just to piss Gibson off and help a boutique guy."

Ok so here is my question. Who would be some folks to buy from right now as this plays out?

Sidebar question, how does this affect Corsa since he often mods Gibsons, but his Manalishi is not a Gibson. So assume that must stop, but he can continue his LCPGs.

2. zepwanker

zepwanker Member

Gta a yaron while u can![​IMG]

3. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I wish!!!! They are amazing. But likely have to sell a kidney or two or three...oh wait, only have two kidneys :omg hmmm oh well who needs to pee right?

4. beorn

beorn Member

Depends on the builders who got the threat letter. We know of Tuttle, K-Line, and Tom Anderson. Rumor has it there were many more.

However, I would consider investing in any small builder guitar as a gesture in this direction, whether the builder got a threat letter or not.

So for instance, a Kauer Starliner is a superb guitar that hasn't got that silhouette or anything much like it. I doubt Mr. Kauer got a letter.

Yet the Starliner was developed with a particular '54 goldtop Lester as the target from a tone standpoint, and has similar neck carves, and better balance and ergonomics; it is a direct competitor for Gibson in the ways that matter most to players (as opposed to collectors, or Gibson's legal team).

I am also curious to see how this is going to affect non-US builders. Some of them have much closer Les Paul silhouettes than the Bulldog, but the concept of international law is a rather tenuous, some would say laughable one, given the absence of any international Congress to make it or international courts to interpret it.

5. Route234

Route234 Member

Im surprised Collings never got "the letter". Im not so sure that any of the small builders who specialize in LP style guitars are good investments because the entry price is so steep.

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

What I find fascinating, and perhaps this was addressed in the long thread, is since PRS won a few years back over Gibby on their single cut, why Gibson feels they have the legal standing to pursue others?

I guess when you have more $ to spend on attorneys, you win by attrition, sometimes with only the price of a threatening letter. Sad.

Makes me wonder about Hik Huber making his Gibson-like guitars across the pond.

7. Route234

Route234 Member

Yep they are going after the little guys who they know dont have a staff of corporate lawyers on retainer. Its not worth it to them to fight Gibson.

8. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

IMO, buying a guitar to "piss off Gibson" seems pretty silly and a good way to end up with a guitar you really never wanted in the first place. If anyone is spending small builder dough on a guitar, it probably should be because they actually want that guitar.

Think about it: if a person is mad that Gibson is protecting it's IP and refuses to buy any more Gibsons, buying a small builder guitar has zero effect on Gibson because that person wasn't going to buy another Gibson anyway. Sure, it supports small builders, but again, that has no real world effect on Gibson.

I guess I would save my "social statement" spending choices for things much more important than wood with strings.

9. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

All I know is that I won't give Gibson another penny. Recently wanted a 339, I'll save up for a Collings or another boutique builder. Can't help but notice that Gibson is being opposed by 15 companies on an attempted trademark for the 335/339 shapes.

10. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Member

I'm not sure what you class as "many folks",........most don't get that emotional/irrational over it.

What a few seem to miss is that Gibson are protecting jobs, too. The Henry Hysteria seems to cloud some peoples minds...

11. WayneM

WayneM Member

There is NO suit.....just a letter to cease and desist.

I do thing that Gibson is off base on this one.

12. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

Did Gil Yaron get the letter? Who else?

13. cardinal

cardinal Member

I was thinking this too (about Collings). Seems what really gets Gibson going is a rounded lower horn and the four knob layout. Single cuts with sharper cutaways and different control configurations seem to get by (those were the two changes ESP made to the Eclipse and now it seems to be just fine?).

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree 100%

15. Doc3

Doc3 Member

Would someone publish the "letter". It is not privileged and would be interesting reading.

16. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Wow! That's nice. Yeah, I can't imagine something like that hasn't been drawing their attention.

17. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

The court didn't rule that Gibson's trademark was invalid, only that PRS didn't infringe it. But I agree that in these situations the merits tend to take a back seat to litigation costs.

18. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Bill Collings would eat and poop out Henry before breakfast. You do not want to mess with Bill Collings.

19. zepwanker

zepwanker Member

Its an "investment" ! Or so i told my wife

20. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

There were a few Tom Anderson Bulldogs on eBay last time I checked...