Gettimg amp to be a little brighter

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jmcorey, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jmcorey

jmcorey Supporting Member

Hi All,

My Traynor YCV40-WR is a nicce amp. If I could, I'd like the distortion channel to be a bit brighter. Is it possible for the amp tech to add a bright switch to that amp instead of the boost switch? I never need the volume.

To me, the channel sounds like it has a bit of a blanket over it....

2. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Should be several ways to do this although I'm not familiar with that circuit. Does the distortion channel sound like it has too much bottom end?

3. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I've found that swapping pre-amp tubes can brighten (or dull) an amp a bit. Very easy to do.. I'm not familiar with the YCV40 enough to tell you which tube positions to swap... but someone will chime in.

4. NorCalTuna

NorCalTuna Member

Try a chinese 12ax7, the ones from mesa come to mind as reliable and cheap, they tend to be brighter than their russian counterparts. I glanced at the circuit, and it is a very sophisticated amp- I would try tubes in v2 and speakers before I tore into it too much. The blanket over the amp thing kinda tells me speakers or too much NFB trying to tame too much preamp... Also, you could try tilting it up or various acoustic tricks. You say you never use the volume, are you just under driving the thing, and not letting it breathe and work? My "deluxe reverb" sounds like ass at house volume... but in my band space... Have you ever experienced a hot champ on 11? it was good enough for (Insert guitar god here) !

5. Martin-W-UK

Martin-W-UK Member

My Carr Mercury is a little on the dark side I tried A JJ tesla tube in place of the Tung Sol in V1 and that gave it a little more sparkle, I also lowered the bias a little which helped but this is very easy on this amp (*i.e you can do it yourself) I would not know about yours without more info but pre amp tubes should help and lucky for you the cheaper ones are usually brightest sounding.

6. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

I have two of these (one I'm selling) It's not very tube sensitive. What I did was front load the V30 and remove the front grill. If you inspect the grill you'll find it's not very sonically transparent. Some people switch out the speaker. I had an old HRDLX speaker I put in (I know most people dislike this speaker) and it cuts through the mix much better than the V30. V30 for Marshall type amps - not for Fendery type amps (in my opinion) The stock YCV40wr records very well.

7. jmcorey

Thanks, all.

Quantum - What is the model of the HRDLX speaker? It is a Jensen, or Fender special issue whatever?

I've had this thought as well, that going to an eminence Patriot or something similar may be a lot better.

Thanx.

8. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

A speaker change may be the ticket....

Steve :D

9. Quantumphysics

Quantumphysics Member

not sure on the model - maybe the 125 - I've read people give them away. I had one laying around and it opened up the sound a bit. Has a flabby low end but I cut the lows to slice across the stage (Jeff Beck type stuff) for lows I lug a 4X12 and Marshall head. But eqing via the speaker on the Traynor is the way to go.

10. jmcorey

Do you mean Eminence Legend 125?