Gettin' my guitar Pleked

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Melvinj, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Melvinj

Melvinj Guest

I've found the man to do the work in Nashville and I'm gonna have it done early next week. I can't wait. Has anybody here ever had the Plek system used on their guitar?
    Mel

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have heard that phrase thrown around a lot and still have no clue what it is. How does it differ from a set-up?

3. brucem

brucem Member

Had my R9 pleked by Phil Jacoby, www.philtone.com, in
    Baltimore, MD. a few weeks ago. Great guy who knows his stuff.
    Plek = The perfect fret level for every string up & down the neck.
    Checkout his site for info.

4. Mr.Hanky

I did a google after posting (DUH!) and was reading about it.

My first reaction was snake oils BS, but I know a lot of guys dig it, and I have never played a plek'ed guitar so I can't say.

I am not too fussy about set up and action, my R7 is fine and IMO Les Pauls are the easiest guitars to set up.

5. brucem

brucem Member

I also got lucky with my R8 & R4, the fret job was decent. But with my R9 it was buzzy from the 12th fret up. I know how to set up guitars but there is only so much you can do if the frets are not level. The guitar is to nice to have that flaw. After a lot of frustration, I set it to Phil & now I'm Very happy with the results.
    YMMV

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

They strap your baby into a jig and after a Machine measures down the guitar neck with a laser it slowly removes material from the frets making it more level then any guitar repairman can ever do by eye. I've heard only Raves ..............never 1 complaint. I only wish a local guy would get one.........even somebody in the state . :(

7. Unburst

Unburst Member

Suhr guitars use a plek system on all their guitars, so I wouldn't call snake oil.

I had a PRS plek'd years ago, when the system first came out, I can't say it made a huge difference as the guitar played pretty well anyway. The tech told me it was almost perfect before they plek'd it so no surprise there.

The advantage of the plek is it guarantees a great fret level, takes the guesswork out of having work done by an unknown tech.

8. Melvinj

Melvinj Guest

Yeah, it's supposed to be accurate to 1/100 of a milimeter or 1/1000 of an inch, pretty crazy **** concerning the best techs are only accurate to 1/10 of a milimeter! They said that fret leveling isn't the only thing that they will work on, they will also do something to the nut. My guitar isn't that great, it's a Jackson made 7 string with a locking nut. But it is my current main axe, so making that guitar play exceptional well for what it is is of paramount importance to me.

9. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I have two Heritage guitars that have been plekked and they play beautifully. The thing about the Plek is that it levels the frets while under tnesion from the strings. I don't believe it is snake oil. My Suhr Tele has also been plekked, I guess. Another beautiful neck to play on.

10. Joe

Joe Senior Member

And yet another occupation is replaced by technology.:rolleyes:

11. michael.e

michael.e Member

I do have to say that after having my guitar Plekked, I wii have to err on the Technology side on this one. M.E.

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Is this statement true? I've heard conflicting reports. Anyone know for sure if the frets are dressed with the strings on the guitar?

Bryan

13. Melvinj

Melvinj Guest

Not sure, I think so though. I'll give a report early this week for ya.

Mel

14. DamianP

DamianP Member

From watching a Plek machine in action , it looks like it measures the fret heights under string tension. The actual machining is done with the strinds removed but with reference to the under tension measurements.

As for occupations being replaced by technology. Doesn`t look that way to me. The machine still needs an operator with considerable set up experience. Indeed I would be surprised if anyone could find a single example of a job being lost in favour of a Plek machine.

,Damian.

15. Mr.Hanky

Ok, I'll play devils advocate cause I'm good at it.

How much friggin accuracy do you really need?
    Maybe John Suhr will chime in here and shed some light BUT...

Every new Suhr (pre plek) I have played and every Anderosn I have owned (5) has played so good that it could make you weep.

16. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

17. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

No Snake Oil about it. It's, without any doubt to me, the best setups my guitars have seen. This doesn't mean that a good luthier can't set up a guitar well anymore, but of my 15 guitars 2 are plek'd and the difference is drastic to me.

It is expensive, but I feel it was worth it.

Rick

18. Melvinj

Melvinj Guest

Well I have had my newly pleked guitar back for a little over a week now and I really do like the improvement(s). Plays a little smoother, a little bit more in tune, and I think it might even have a bit better tone to it as well. They really did improve upon this guitar, I'm satisfied.
    Mel

19. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

one thing I've heard about the PLEK is that once it's done, you're not supposed to touch the truss rod. I guess you can/have to if the neck moves due to humidity, but changing your relief, like maybe because you change string gauges, ruins the PLEK. True?

/rick

20. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I've not found this to be true. I've made quite a few adjustments, due to heat, humidity, etc., and I've not seen any issues with it.

Rick