Getting a 65 Princeton Reverb sound into headphones

kmkb

Hi everyone

I recently got a Princeton Reverb and I really like the way it sounds, but it's too loud for my room. I would love to be able to get a similar sound (since I know I'm not going to get the exact feel of the speaker driving in the room) through an ampless setup. I would be using my Sennheiser HD6XX or Master & Dynamic MH40 headphones.

If it's truly impossible or would be close enough using an attenuator with a headphone out, that works too (just not ideal to spend the extra money). I have fairly sensitive ears in terms of volume but at my level I doubt I would know the difference if the model is really good.

My thinking is the Two Notes Le Clean and the Cab M+ (or just the Cab M+?) and a decent reverb/delay pedal in between the two if that's possible. If I need to play through speakers I guess I would get a set of monitors, but that's pretty rare for me. Most of the time I'm trying not to bother anyone.

My only experience with amp/cab modeling is through a Scarlett and GarageBand and UA Twin and LUNA. I didn't like either of those options because by the time I got any sound I was happy with than I would have run out of time to play. I also had a Katana MKII and did not care for it.

Since I bought the Princeton and can exchange it, I'd be happy to spend that much on a solid ampless setup that gets me that sound.

Any advice would be super helpful!

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Hi everyone

I recently got a Princeton Reverb and I really like the way it sounds, but it's too loud for my room. I would love to be able to get a similar sound (since I know I'm not going to get the exact feel of the speaker driving in the room) through an ampless setup. I would be using my Sennheiser HD6XX or Master & Dynamic MH40 headphones.

If it's truly impossible or would be close enough using an attenuator with a headphone out, that works too (just not ideal to spend the extra money). I have fairly sensitive ears in terms of volume but at my level I doubt I would know the difference if the model is really good.

My thinking is the Two Notes Le Clean and the Cab M+ (or just the Cab M+?) and a decent reverb/delay pedal in between the two if that's possible. If I need to play through speakers I guess I would get a set of monitors, but that's pretty rare for me. Most of the time I'm trying not to bother anyone.

My only experience with amp/cab modeling is through a Scarlett and GarageBand and UA Twin and LUNA. I didn't like either of those options because by the time I got any sound I was happy with than I would have run out of time to play. I also had a Katana MKII and did not care for it.

Since I bought the Princeton and can exchange it, I'd be happy to spend that much on a solid ampless setup that gets me that sound.

Any advice would be super helpful!

Helix/Atomic/Fractal/Kemper/Strymon Iridium all are really great for doing Fender cleans into headphones. Fractal/Kemper have the most variety of Fender options and Kemper would get my vote as the best headphone sound with the least hassles. You won't need any outboard reverb gear with any of them.

DSM Simplifier is definitely a serious contender and the Deluxe has verb. I have the standard and it's great.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
@kmkb, if you're looking for a compact solution, which works wonderfully with the Sennheiser HD6XX, consider a Line 6 HX Stomp.

The latest Helix firmware 3.11 has an exceptional modeled version of the Princeton Reverb named the Princess. See Fluid Solo and HelixHelp.com for more info.

Should you opt to go with a Helix unit, the Helix Native plugin for your DAW or VST host is available at a significant discount. Presently, Line 6 is running an additional 30% discount on the software; so Helix Native would cost about $70 USD.

Using the HX Stomp as your Audio Interface would provide the same sonic quality from your DAW software as you would achieve directly from the HX Stomp.

feet

sexual visionary
Silver Supporting Member
If you insist on keeping the amp, you're need to add a load box, and irs, be it through a device of some kind of a computer. Or you could return the amp and go full modeler.

Either way is valid, either way has its pros/cons and either way can sound great (or terrible, depending on how handy you are with the ir/post processing). Going digital isn't terribly difficult, but there's a learning curve, and it's a slightly different approach and skill set. But it gets easier and once you understand it, it goes very quickly.

The cab m+ has a built in fendery preamp to go with the power amp and cab or your choosing (and eq, reverb, etc) It's not my favorite sound, but it works. Not the most user friendly but if you use the app it's much, much easier.

Long story short: there's lots of ways to get there. You just have to decide on your new, how much you want to spend, and how willing you are to try and learn new things. As a general rule, a physical thing should be easier to figure out and operate. Not always, but should.

mdubya

The Fender Mustang Micro gets great reviews.

I had a Mustang I and it was really good at low volume tones (Tweed, black face Twin, cleaner Vox/60's British tones). I could dial in reverb and tremolo and it took fuzz and OD pedals really well and in a pleasing way. It preferred my Samsung ear buds to my Sennheiser headphones, but was great for nearly silent practice, as such.

Either would be a good, cheap solution.

There are new Fender Mustang type modelers and the Tone Master Deluxe and Twin amps, too.

I currently use a Fractal AX8 and I would not hesitate to recommend or to upgrade to a Fractal FM3. The blackface and tweed models and the boutique models are nothing short of incredible at low volume or with headphones.

arojas

I just switched from an Iridium to an HX Stomp with the same headphones (HD6XX) and I'm much happier with the results. The headphone out on the Iridium wasn't powerful enough to drive the HD6XX and there was always some noise, while the HX is pretty quiet. It's not as intuitive as the Iridium, but I use it exclusively for couch practice and almost always have it plugged into my laptop with HX Edit open to edit patches.

Also, for what it's worth, I also have a 68 Princeton Reverb RI and it sounds great at low volumes with a $160 Swart Night Light Jr.

kmkb

I just switched from an Iridium to an HX Stomp with the same headphones (HD6XX) and I'm much happier with the results. The headphone out on the Iridium wasn't powerful enough to drive the HD6XX and there was always some noise, while the HX is pretty quiet. It's not as intuitive as the Iridium, but I use it exclusively for couch practice and almost always have it plugged into my laptop with HX Edit open to edit patches.

Also, for what it's worth, I also have a 68 Princeton Reverb RI and it sounds great at low volumes with a $160 Swart Night Light Jr.
This is great to know! I was worried about the noise levels.
Would it be at all worth going with a POD GO do you think?

HughesP

Since you already have a Princeton reverb…. Captor X would be my vote. I get great Princeton sounds with my Princeton into the captor x.

No_Stairway

I run the same amp through a Headlosd Prodigy. I can crank it up to 5/6 and not annoy the wife. It also has a headphone Jack.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
This is great to know! I was worried about the noise levels.
Would it be at all worth going with a POD GO do you think?
The Helix Line of products is far more powerful and capable than the Pod Go!

kmkb

Hi all, I ended up exchanging the Princeton so now I have the Two Notes Cab M+, the Source Audio Collider, and the Mythos Herculean. I'm really enjoying it so far, such fun, and I can play loud as I like into my headphones!

In the future I'll be looking to try out an HX Stomp if I can get near one, but for now I'm really happy with my setup (though any recommendations for additions are welcome!)

Thanks so much for the help here everyone, I'm feeling great about the decision

yesteryear

UA Ox has a 1x10 Fender style cab. Expensive but was my favourite back when I was running my rehoused Princeton Reverb head and using headphones. Amazing room sim, which nails it for headphone playing.

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all, I ended up exchanging the Princeton so now I have the Two Notes Cab M+, the Source Audio Collider, and the Mythos Herculean. I'm really enjoying it so far, such fun, and I can play loud as I like into my headphones!

In the future I'll be looking to try out an HX Stomp if I can get near one, but for now I'm really happy with my setup (though any recommendations for additions are welcome!)

Thanks so much for the help here everyone, I'm feeling great about the decision

Awesome - and we want clips!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom