Getting a bit bored of the Zoom G3, what to do?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rena Rune, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I like the unique effects and amp selection of the G3, but I find it's pretty bad at doing glassy crunch kinda sounds. Everything has this sort of "warm, polished" feel as it to say "hey look I'm a modeller but I don't sound too harsh or digital!" but as a result it kind of lacks a certain nastiness that you tend to be able to dial in with a lot of amps.

I miss my Pod HD sometimes, but I prefer the FX selection of the G3 I think. The 500 was physically too large for me as well.

What else is there out now that has similar functionality to the G3? It really is very good for the price, but it's better as a pre amp multi-fx than an amp modeler I think.

2. micycle

micycle Member

[FONT=&quot]I recently had to decide between the G3X and Digitech RP360XP. The Digitech won me over by a very narrow margin.. although it’s not as speedy as the Zoom with patch changes and making changes via the Nexus software is S L O W, it just sounded better to me.. plus you can use the expression as wah AND volume by just using the toe switch under the exp pedal which was primarily what I was looking for. With the Zoom it's one or the other which is dumb. There's some workarounds for that but I didn't like any of them. Not a h[FONT=&quot]uge deal [FONT=&quot]if you don't use an expression pedal [FONT=&quot]which it sounds like you don't![/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Definitely worth looking into an RP360 if you haven’t yet.[/FONT]

3. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

can you configure the effects as much tho

4. pepi

pepi Member

I just use mine in the effects loop. Set the way I like it and NO MORE TWEAKING ;)

buddaman71 likes this.
  5. micycle

micycle Member

Not quite as thoroughly - but I've found that means less time wasted tweaking and more where my hands belong, on my guitar!

6. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

yeeeah I'm the sound designy type so maybe not as good for me. when i want a click plug and play i use my practice amp/

7. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

Maybe hold on to the G3 for effects and get something else for amp modeling.

WillLane likes this.
  8. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Amplifire, use your G3 for effects in the loop.

9. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

With the RP360 you can't stack multiple effects of the same type (delay, modulation, etc.). That would be your biggest limitation if you went in that direction.

If you need to do that and you prefer the effects on the G3, why not go with a Zoom G5? Yes, it's a step up in size, but it's still much smaller than a POD HD500. It has all the effects from the G3 plus some. It's just as flexible, plus more effects slots, plus you can use the onboard tube to make your cleans less sterile or more nasty as needed.

10. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I still really haven't found anything better than the G3.

I've noticed that putting an EQ after the amps and really ramping up the higher frequencies does wonders for a lot of the tones. But then you risk veering even more away form what they're supposed to sound like.

Xmas is coming up so I might have a bit more cash. Any suggestions?

11. rsm

rsm Member

Small footprint, not much out there. Amplifire + G3 for effects? Or H9?

12. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

doesn't need to be as small as the G3, but not huge. Pod HD was definitely too big for me. granted i was a whole pedal board of stuff but still.

amplifire is waaaay above my price range unfortunately. H9 seems interesting though, as a replacement for my M5 which I never get to use, but again, way out of my prange.

13. jageya

jageya Member

g5 is the way to go...

14. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

G5 has the same amp models tho!

15. Tmidiman

Tmidiman Member

I would try he Zoom MS-100BT. Way more effects options. Lots of delays and reverbs to catch that "crazy sounds itch". Some Bass amps too. Klon, OCD, Sweet Honey, Mesa Boogie stomps, those are all there.

16. Qifei

Qifei Member

Try using third party IRs with it. I did that with my ms50g. The difference is night and day. Amt cp100 or logidy are both worth checking out.

17. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Get an Epsi and shut off the built in cabs. Lots more tonal options for just $200

18. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I used a G3 for a very long time - still think its a good unit for the price. The Amplifire will give you a significant update in the amp modeling and you can still use the G3 in the loop. Another option would be to use a nice gritty pedal in front of the G3 like a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver or Screwdriver, or even a Wampler Euphoria in Open mode.

19. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

I have a Zoom G5, an Zoom MS70CDR as well as a full pedalboard, and if you are looking for a refresh on your G3, add the CDR in line with it - The Delays and Reverbs and Chorus are unique from the G3/G5 and sound really good - They cloned a bunch of the well known pedals(Strymon, Eventide, etc). My hope is the next G5 continues that cloning to a greater degree.

Keep in mind the CDR does not have any amp or distortions, so you still need something for that. But the CDR can be had for under $100 used easily (New it was like $120)

Other than that the G3/G5 is still up there in sound quality and simplicity.

20. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

Problem is they are not making any more sounds for it so you have to be happy with it.

I am not a fan of the iOS connected devices, as I am not into Apple products and hate their planned obsolesence where they stop upgrading the OS. I have a 4th gen touch that is now useless.

jageya likes this.