Getting a DL-4 repaired

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steeeve, Oct 8, 2005.

1. steeeve

steeeve Member

Anyone know how I could get a DL-4 repaired? One of the switches has crapped out. Not the mechanical footswitch, but the little membrane switch inside, I believe. Should I shelf it, or is it possible to get these things fixed?

Sometimes the pedal will turn on, and sometimes not. I've had this one for about 4 years.

Thanks

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

I have the same problem!!! My "C" channel is farting out.... I want to repair it so I can sell it!! :) Looking at the Memory Lane.

3. steeeve

steeeve Member

Ha! Sounds familiar devil-tone. The Memory Lane is exactly why I want to get my DL-4 fixed and sold.

I'm pretty sure that all DL-4's crap out eventually. There's gotta be a way to get it fixed. I'm way too scared to try it myself. That pedal's got some frightening innards.

4. ABKB

ABKB Member

Mine crapped out after a year and a half, and I baby my stuff. I've got a $30 Dano pedal that has taken more abuse and lasted longer. Line sux owes a lot of folks a apology and some money back! Until then, I would buy a pick from that company.

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

To tell you the truth, if I could find that internal switch part that's under the actual metal footswitch, I'll do it myself... I have braided desolder and have decent soldering skills to do the fix. I just don't have any idea how to get the part. I contacted Line 6 about a week ago about the part and have yet to hear from them. Friggin' slackers.

6. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I had the same problem with one of my DL-4 switches, it started to work intermittently. I live in Brooklyn, NY and I brought it to 30th St. Guitars in New York, a popular local shop. They installed a new switch and it was perfect from then on. Didn't have to send it back to Line Sucks, good price and pretty quick turnaround too. If you have no leads, look them up on the web.

Best of luck!

7. 6789

6789 Member

When i first bought my DL-4, it crapped out after two months. it wouldn't power up. nothing! luckily I bought it from Mars Music and they gave me a new one. too bad they went out of business. My DL-4 has been fine since about 4 years now - but i only use it at home. I'm worried about it crapping out suddenly when I start playing shows.

8. thintele

thintele Member

well I wish I would have found the forum sooner...I had just picked up a DL4 about 3 months ago. No problems yet and I've been happy with the sounds and its flexability, but sounds like I'd better look back through the paperwork and see when the warranty expires...

9. dave s

dave s Member

Steeeve,

I bought mine used, then later on, a problem occured. Took the unit, in the box, to a local guitar store that sells Line6 products.

They took it, sent it back to Line6 who repaired and shipped it back to the store. NO CHARGE!!!

I ask the store to follow up on the charges from Line6 and let me know before doing any work on the pedal.

The next call I got was the 'hey, just calling to let you know your DD4 pedal came in, works perfectly and no charge!'

Hopefully, you'll have the same luck as me.

dave

10. eric-d

eric-d Member

Damn, I wish we had stores like that here in Houston. GC and the local guys will charge your ass for just looking at the gear... :D One local store here will charge you full retail for strings.... It's a joke.

11. ABKB

ABKB Member

That's exactly what happened to me. Up there playin, looked down and it was OFF. Luckily I had it in true bypass mode so I was able to go on playing. Hit a couple switches in between songs and it came back to life briefly b4 it just gave up the ghost. A few weeks later I wanted to sell it, but I plugged it in and nothin. Poof gone dead. Even put some batteries in it to see if it was some electrical thing. That didnt even work. As far as takin it back to where I bought it, I got it from a GC. Not a chance they would be worthwile to help.

12. JimiB

JimiB Member

its not too hard to change the switches if you know what you are doing. 4 solder joints to desolder if I remember corectly. Just be carefull taking it apart. Line 6 will send you the TAK switches (or at least they have sent them to me twice) but you might be able to get them at an electronics store.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

All I can say is "phew! Am i glad I got the dd-20!"

Sorry, my brothers in arms, I do feel for you. The DL-4, I believe, is insanely overhyped. The guitarist in my old band uses one, though, and AFAIK, BA"H, he has yet to have a problem with it. Luck of the draw, what can you do *shrugs*

I pray that your future gear purchases are saturated with merriment and satisfaction and wenches and such.