getting a fuzz to "play nice" with other pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by samhambone, Mar 13, 2008.

1. samhambone

samhambone Member

maybe it's just me - but i am having a wicked hard time getting any fuzz pedal to consistently sound good with my other pedals. i've moved the darn thing around and the difficulty remains regardless of where i place it in the chain. i've used the following fuzzes individually within my setup: diaz texas square face, hbe ufo, effector 13 vintage fuzz maker and disaster fuzz, aramat mojo fuzz and have had better luck w/ the big muff varieties. however, i really want a square wave, jesus and mary chains fuzz - not a big muff fuzzy distortion. my present chain has been: t. jauernig luxury drive (set to unity as a buffer), nick greer green giant (light dirt), fulltone ocd (swapped sometimes w/ a red llama clone (medium dirt), then the fuzz (all true bypass, no buffers ala boss or ibanez pedals). it seems the fuzz pedals have some wacked out impedance difference.

2. Creamy

Creamy Member

Do you like the sound of the fuzz by itself?
    Try the fuzz first. That way it can better respond to your guit vol too. Other placements will compress or otherwise alter the fuzz signal.

3. john b

john b Supporting Member

I have the same problem with my Skreddy Mayo. It doesn't seem to want to stack with anything. They both go right to S*#T when that happens. Only thing it does seem to work well with is a trem pedal. I'm not thinking of it as much of a problem though, since the Mayo is so awesome by itself.

This is a good question you bring up. Also, where are peeps putting their fuzzes in line on their boards?

4. 4styx

4styx Member

Wah>vibe>Hot Brit>69>CH-02>FX90>amp.

5. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

That works well for you? My 69 sounded like crap when I tried it after my Tonebone classic. It wants to go in front of the wah, but as soon as my Foxrox buffer arrives it's going back in line after the wah but before all the other dirt & boost. Not sure what I'm going to do when I finally get around to getting a rangemaster clone.

->vstack->wah->69->70->AC boost->Tonebone classic->delays & mods->amps