Getting a G&L

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Miles Long, May 4, 2005.

1. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

I am considering a custom shop Invader or a Legacy.I dont know enough about the best pickup configuration or wood and hardware to suit my needs.I play in a progresive jam band that covers a lot of different styles.I need a punchy enough sound to get into some funk and country stylings,but also I play legato style with tapping and a bit of the melodic shred thing too.Not a metal sound,more a vintage higher gain sound.I figure a wide flat neck radius would be a start,but I am unsure of the wood and choice of pickups.Probably a humbucker in the bridge and 2. single coils.Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Swirl

Swirl Member

check out the Legacy special. Its got blade style humbuckers. I find it really versatile for a wide range of styles.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

If you want quiet, the Legacy Special's a good call - very versatile.
    The alnico pickups are very warm, and the MFD's are more aggressive - bit into P90 territory. Very nice, but you get the single coil hum...
    Some have a splittable humbucker in bridge option you might investigate...
    Look for a flat-radius - 12" - and perhaps one of their wider neck profiles. Try rosewood or ebony for the board.
    Both their ashh and alder bodies are nice, necks are noce Canadian hard-rock maple.
    Highly recommended guitars.
    I have a sunburst Legacy w/ a 12" rosewood board that's my main guitar. Have DiMarzio noiseless pickups in it...

4. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Thanks for the info,the gear page rules!Hey Nero,my band opened for you guys in Teaneck N.J.My Two-Rock blew an output tube during that gig,It sounded like a solid state Crate for that gig!Anyway,I enjoyed our "gear chat" Do you still have your doctor z? Bye the way,congrats on your blurb in Guitar player,sweet!

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

OH - just realized Swirl is Dave from Nero and Lauzon's Music.
    Nice to see ya, bro - a proud new dad to boot!
    I defer to Dave - cat knows his G&Ls...

6. A440

A440 Supporting Member

sorry for the spam.

Miles, I just sent you an email. I have a guitar that might interest you :)

7. blong

blong Supporting Member

Sorry for a short derailment of this thread, but I was wondering if that was really your name. I ask b/c my last name is long and I wanted to name my first son Myles Long, or Miles Long, but my wife won't let me b/c she thinks others might make fun of his name. I think it is a cool name.

Just wondering,

Bob Long

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I think the ASAT Blues Boy is one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played, perfect for stage and studio. You have a very sweet MFD single coil in the bridge and a Seth Lover hum in the neck. They sound great by themselves and blend beautifully. G&L really hit the nail on the head when they designed this one. The one I liked most had an alder body, rosewood fretboard.

>> The alnico pickups are very warm, and the MFD's are more aggressive - bit into P90 territory.

I don't agree with this statement completely. IMO the alnicos are very classic sounding and the MFDs vary a great deal depending on which ones you're talking about.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

True - I was mostly comparing the Alnicos in the Legacy to the MFDs in the S-500...

10. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Blong you just made my day .No offence but I just laughed my ass off.It is a cool name,not my real name!Have a nice day!:dude :dude

11. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Legacy Special:AOK ....I got mine on ebay for 500 bucks...it needed about 100 bucks of TLC...now it's awesome.

12. Swirl

Swirl Member

yeah I remember that night. tube gremlins.. fun to run into another gear pig. I think you introduced me to this page.

yes I still have the Dr.Z I don't think I'll ever get rid of that one. Its been good to me.

do you still have that two rock?