Getting a Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge PU to sound more filtertron-ish

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stella was a dive, Apr 28, 2015.

1. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

After listening back to recordings I made with my gretsch I no longer have (because it's just not a comfortable guitar to play and feedback problems) I realize that the bridge sound in that is pretty much my ideal tone. my ric 360 with hi gains gets really close, and is much more comfortable to play. I love how my jaguar and jazzmaster feel, but the bridge sound is just a bit too thin, and lacks that warmer full sound my filtertrons nailed (while keeping the twang). What as far as maybe an eq pedal, or an overdrive, can I do to get closer to that sound?

right now I have hotcake > arc klone > moog MF drive into ac15 with real blue in it. I feel like the moog MF has a setting I can use to get close, but I can't seem to find it.

below I'll post a clip I have of my gretsch where I'm getting the tone I want, for the most part.

https://soundcloud.com/rick-munro/demo

2. seiko

seiko Member

Put a filtertron in the bridge position?

3. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

I'd rather not swap out pickups. I'm thinking 250k pots and flat wounds could help too.

4. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

If your going to the hassle of changing pots why not change the pickups? I don think your going to get the filtertron sound without putting a filtertron like pickup in the guitar. Pedals might help, but pickups are the best bet here. Check out curtis Novak, he makes lots of retrofit pickups for jazzmasters and jaguars.

meltedbuzzbox likes this.
  5. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Filtertrons are sort of mid-heavy low-output humbuckers right? That's a pretty far cry away from the fat single coil JM pickup. I guess an EQ might help?

Interesting question though, a guitar with JM form factor but a filtertron bridge sound would be pretty great.

7. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Maybe Lollar could build one for you.

8. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

There's much more to the way a Gretsch sounds than just the Filtertrons, and there's more to the sound of a Filtertron than just the EQ curve.

9. 909one

909one Member

I think its Mojotone that makes blank Jazzmaster pickup covers. I've put a Filtertron in the bridge of my Jazzmaster and cut new holes for the pole pieces. It sounded ok, the original Jazzmaster pickup sounds better.

10. augur

augur Member

effectrode fire bottle does it for me thanks to -2k position!

11. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Not sure how close to a filtertron it is, but I too was on the prowl for a JM bridge pickup that wasn't so thin, but also wasn't too hot or brash sounding.

What I found was a bit surprising: I took the stock neck pickup from a Classic Player Jazzmaster and put it in the bridge position.

I tried this after noticing the neck pickup on the CP is a bit fatter and less shrill than the stock bridge pickup (not sure why Fender decided to put it in the neck), and is closer to a low-wind humbucker than a P90. It's almost like a cross between a JM bridge pickup and a humbucker, without the nasally vibe that is often associated with JM bridge pickups.

12. bo13bo

bo13bo Member

Flatwounds??? Not sure who recommended that but hard to imagine that would get you anywhere in the vicinity of the tone you seek.

13. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

Did you pull the CP neck pickup out of the CP and put it into a different guitar or swap the neck and bridge pickups in the CP Jazzmaster itself? I have always wondered what the CP pickups would sound like if the neck and bridge were just switched, but didn't want to go through the trouble if it didn't sound good or if there were significant string spacing issues with the pickup pole pieces.

14. stella was a dive

stella was a dive Member

my personal theory, thinking that it would round out the sound. giving it more bass and warmth as the bridge is so bright and thin the treble loss and added warmth should go well with the flats. like I said though, just a thought I'm bouncing around.

15. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Cut knob up on the amp. Turn it until the clanginess disappears and leaves only a bit above the upper mids.

Then turn the volume up for some balls and jangle.

16. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

I took the CP neck pickup out, and put it in the bridge of the same guitar (CP Jazzmaster)

I never tried the CP bridge pickup in the neck position though. Mainly because I know it's wound a bit hotter than the neck pickup, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should of.

BUT, I do have a Duncan SJM-1 in the neck position, and it matches up nicely with the CP neck pickup in the bridge.

17. deadlands

deadlands Member

Your absolute best bet is just sticking a Filtertron on the guitar. But realistically, JM will never sound like a hollowbody Gretsch. I play JM's and Jags now, and I've owned and played Gretsches and other hollowbodies. While you could generalize and say they are similar in the since that I setup my sound for a thumpy twang, the guitar tones were still noticeably different. The hollowbodies all had a woody, airy vibe, while my JM's and Jags have a more focused, edgy vibe.

Listening to your clip, I just can't really picture how to make a JM sound like that. But you definitely can improve your JM's tone and get closer with a pickup swap. The CP neck in the bridge position is interesting. I've never heard of that before. Another choice is to pickup one of the new RI JM pickups, those have a great old school vibe to them and are very reasonably priced.

18. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

You might like something like the Fender Coronado reissue. More the feel and comfort of a Fender, but with Filtertronish pickups and some hollowness.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I'm not sure I understand the request then. It's kind of like: I want my cake to taste like hamburger. But I don't want to put meat in it.

A Gretsch sounds like a Gretsch because of the whole architecture but most immediately the pickups. Putting Gretsch pickups in a Tele gives a very Gretsch sound. I imagine the same would happen with a Jazzmaster.

20. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Reviving this thread...anyone know of any easy ways to mount a filtertron on to a jazzmaster?!